Melbourne vs Melbourne Aka the battle from within

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I assumed recruitment/trading went hand-in-hand, no point recruiting a gun full forward and trading for one in the same year.

WTF would i know about running a football club tho.

Edit: probably about as much as anyone who worked at Melbourne for the last 20 years.

You are too clever to work for MFC

Yeah I assumed recruitment/trading went hand-in-hand, no point recruiting a gun full forward and trading for one in the same year.

WTF would i know about running a football club tho.

Edit: probably about as much as anyone who worked at Melbourne for the last 20 years.
I'm sure they do, but drafting is just one part of the list management portfolio headed up by...someone? Used to be Todd Viney. Apparently some guy called Tim Lamb, who I hope is related to #29 Chris.

I'm sure they do, but drafting is just one part of the list management portfolio headed up by...someone? Used to be Todd Viney. Apparently some guy called Tim Lamb, who I hope is related to #29 Chris.
Good point.

Look I don't know who I'm supposed to be hating on but there's clearly someone there that deserves it.

Good point.

Look I don't know who I'm supposed to be hating on but there's clearly someone there that deserves it.
Hate literally anyone except our only half decent recruiter since the 60s. And Steven May, apparently, you have to be captain hindsight if you want to point out that he's average, possibly already over the hill, and we got shafted.

Hate literally anyone except our only half decent recruiter since the 60s. And Steven May, apparently, you have to be captain hindsight if you want to point out that he's average, possibly already over the hill, and we got shafted.
Or you could look back at the drafts and pick the best players available at each number and wonder why we didn't take them like peanuts do for the newspaper every year.

I respect where you're coming from, but what if the club thought we were right for a premiership but were completely wrong? We traded out a future first after a season where we won only two games by more than a kick, club still sees us in contention clearly but I'm not sure many fans would agree.

There were rumours last year we were facing salary cap pressure... but we've only got one elite player :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:... there's some serious questions re: list management/recruitment imo.

Took a gamble on Bennell, and even if it's a bust I'm stoked we did it.

Then I'd say that's a whole other seperate issue but considering how far we've fallen again pick 6 in a single draft wouldn't have made one iota of difference. I think we are miles off it now when you look at other lists 😣

Or you could look back at the drafts and pick the best players available at each number and wonder why we didn't take them like peanuts do for the newspaper every year.
Like the guy above who said we overlooked Cripps, Sicily and Brown when we took Salem at 9. If you can only find three guys in a draft taken lower than pick 9 who are clearly better than the guy you took, its a great pick.

Especially when Boyd, KK, Scharenberg, Aish and L.McDonald were taken ahead of him and are objectively inferior players. Early bolters like McCarthy, Dunstan, McStay, and even Zerrett and M.Crouch have come back to the pack after a hot start pretty quickly too. Salem is in the group just after the top handful from that draft (Kelly, Bont, Cripps) - great pick.

With regards to May, we were taking a tall to replace Hogan either way. If TMac was gonna be the long term FF, which he seemed he might be, we needed a long term FB. That pick was always likely to be King, so its a reasonable comparison in my eyes. All will be forgiven if May plays some good football.

Then I'd say that's a whole other seperate issue but considering how far we've fallen again pick 6 in a single draft wouldn't have made one iota of difference. I think we are miles off it now when you look at other lists 😣
Yes and no. Things are good on talent, but all four players who should be our spine (May, Lever, Weideman, McDonald) are in terrible form. Inside mids are in form, Jetta, Salem and Rivers look a handy bunch in defence, Langdon and Tommo are playing their roles, Kozzy looks sharp and Hunt is kicking goals. VDB and Bennell are two class players back in the team. We just need the good players like the above four and Melksham to do better.

Like how we missed Fyfe, he went at 19 so pretty much every club "missed" Fyfe once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes and no. Things are good on talent, but all four players who should be our spine (May, Lever, Weideman, McDonald) are in terrible form. Inside mids are in form, Jetta, Salem and Rivers look a handy bunch in defence, Langdon and Tommo are playing their roles, Kozzy looks sharp and Hunt is kicking goals. VDB and Bennell are two class players back in the team. We just need the good players like the above four and Melksham to do better.
I wanna just let this pass regardless because it's good to have you back old chum 💪

What a joke , blaming Taylor for missing on the likes of a Fyfe or Cripps , almost as comical as suggesting he decides if we trade picks. Lol. Thats not how it works.

Last edited:
The coaching staff detail what sort of player they want, Taylor and his scouts try and find that type of player who's value exceeds or matches pick X. If the coaching staffs ideal type of player (s) value is significantly less than that of pick x he'll let them know and they will look to other means to recruit said player (s) which could including trading pick X

Taylor has zero say in what direction we go most of the time, his job isn't to worry about salary cap and list management. His job is to rank draftees in an order and tiers and assign players a certain value. The powers that be decide what to do with those rankings.

I wanna just let this pass regardless because it's good to have you back old chum 💪
Good to spar with you again mate. Working crazy hours at the moment so obviously passing most of the time on here :greenalien:

I love Jesse, will always miss him.
I get that but doesn't change the fact he wanted to go. I loved Jeff farmer but he wanted to go home. I would resent the club holding on to Hogan and getting nothing for him when he's out of contract. Plus I don't think it's great to have a player at the club if they want to leave. May on the other hand wanted to come and he's the type of player the club identified as a need. Plus he's the main reason why bennell wanted to come.

On another note of players wanting out, would love to see daniher go to Sydney leaving the bombers sfa.

I don't know why people lament on trading Hogan.
I enjoy supporting an unfulfilled talent who prefers benders over football.

Edit: Especially when they're good looking private school boys like Wattsy :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back