Melbourne vs Melbourne Aka the battle from within

It's about maximising a player's strength and trying to hide their deficiencies. Something we have completely failed to do with Hunt since Goodwin became coach.
100%. He has no ability to coach guys who didn't play like he did. See Frost, S.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Just because hunt is quick doesn’t mean you blindly pick him. His kicking isn’t great, he isn’t now alone there. But frost was similar, they just move the balcony with to much unpredictability and running the ball 20m and kicking 55m isn’t always a good thing. Richmond do it well, they set up for it. Us not so much, but I don’t know how or what we are really setting up for. It’s like people saying hunt should play on the wing for no other reason than he has leg speed

Just because hunt is quick doesn’t mean you blindly pick him. His kicking isn’t great, he isn’t now alone there. But frost was similar, they just move the balcony with to much unpredictability and running the ball 20m and kicking 55m isn’t always a good thing. Richmond do it well, they set up for it. Us not so much, but I don’t know how or what we are really setting up for. It’s like people saying hunt should play on the wing for no other reason than he has leg speed

God help me, anyone would think we've never seen him play in defence before...I'll tell you this much, he's lot better at it than the likes of Harmes, Jones , Lewis or Brayshaw.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
100%. He has no ability to coach guys who didn't play like he did. See Frost, S.
I’m no fan of Goodwin but blaming him for Frost being s**t is harsh, Sam didn’t need anyone’s help to be rubbish. But I agree with your overall point Goodwin’s inability to develop players is glaring to point of being embarrassing, I’d be happy at this point if he could just stop turning blokes like Oliver, Bradshaw and Harmes into shadows of what they looked like being.

I’m no fan of Goodwin but blaming him for Frost being sh*t is harsh, Sam didn’t need anyone’s help to be rubbish. But I agree with your overall point Goodwin’s inability to develop players is glaring to point of being embarrassing, I’d be happy at this point if he could just stop turning blokes like Oliver, Bradshaw and Harmes into shadows of what they looked like being.
Clarkson saw something in Frost that made him want him at the Hawks, and now he's in the team over other more experienced defenders. Got to be something in that.

Still amazes me to this day that people only look at the bad in Frost's game, much like Hunt. Tell me another key defender who has played as well on Buddy as he has the past two or three years?

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm not saying he's this amazing player, but Roos clearly got far more out of him playing in defence than Goodwin has . It amazes me that you guys are happy with the status quo given how bad we have been at moving the ball the past year and a bit.

Schmutt whinges about the likes of Jones, Brayshaw and Harmes in defence yet is worried about Hunt's field kicking....smh. Let's stick with the plodders cause it's worked so well for us since 2019.

Of course I will complain half our list if not more are in the plodder category. Not sure that I’m happy with the status quo when I’ve wanted a new coach for nearly a year (But that won’t happen till mid 2021 at earliest).

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
God help me, anyone would think we've never seen him play in defence before...I'll tell you this much, he's lot better at it than the likes of Harmes, Jones , Lewis or Brayshaw.

Yeah we have seen play in defence and he has played good footy and not so good footy. Lewis/Vince/Salem/Hore have all consistently played the small HBF role better than hunt has from 16-19. Would explain why his development dropped off. They are all better kicks than hunt, which is more important than being quick.

Maybe there is opportunity to play hunt there again, I’m not saying he can’t but you can’t just say he should play because he is quick and his kicking isn’t that bad.

Yeah we have seen play in defence and he has played good footy and not so good footy. Lewis/Vince/Salem/Hore have all consistently played the small HBF role better than hunt has from 16-19. Would explain why his development dropped off. They are all better kicks than hunt, which is more important than being quick.

Maybe there is opportunity to play hunt there again, I’m not saying he can’t but you can’t just say he should play because he is quick and his kicking isn’t that bad.

You can't be serious re: Lewis....surely?

We were hiding him in defence coz Goody was trying to find some way to justify his selection while washed up, much like how Adelaide did in the later part of his own career.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
You can't be serious re: Lewis....surely?

We were hiding him in defence coz Goody was trying to find some way to justify his selection while washed up, much like how Adelaide did in the later part of his own career.

Forget 2019 season.

But if you compare Lewis best vs hunts best at melbourne, and you would pick Hunt we have completely different views on football.

Still amazes me to this day that people only look at the bad in Frost's game, much like Hunt. Tell me another key defender who has played as well on Buddy as he has the past two or three years?
Frost is a much better player than most give him credit for

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Clarkson saw something in Frost that made him want him at the Hawks, and now he's in the team over other more experienced defenders. Got to be something in that.
I love Clarkson he’s the best coach in the league but he did recruit Ty Vickery and Jack Fitzpatrick, nobodies perfect.

Last week the Hawks chose to play their number 2 ruckman on Lynch that speak volumes, Frost is their 4th defender who plays as an extra man. There’s no doubt he can rise to mediocre when there is no pressure placed on him like last week but at the end of the day not paying that spud was maybe the only good list management decision made in the last three years.

TheBoss

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’m no fan of Goodwin but blaming him for Frost being sh*t is harsh, Sam didn’t need anyone’s help to be rubbish. But I agree with your overall point Goodwin’s inability to develop players is glaring to point of being embarrassing, I’d be happy at this point if he could just stop turning blokes like Oliver, Bradshaw and Harmes into shadows of what they looked like being.

I like Frost. He has a crack and takes the game on which is more than the other pea-hearted campaigners on the list.

And why rubbish him? He was our best KPD last year - outperforming our two prized recruits in Lever and May.

May strength is supposedly being an enforcer and hardass, but Frost is playing with more of an edge these days.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I like Frost. He has a crack and takes the game on which is more than the other pea-hearted campaigners on the list.

And why rubbish him? He was our best KPD last year - outperforming our two prized recruits in Lever and May.

May strength is supposedly being an enforcer and hardass, but Frost is playing with more of an edge these days.
Hes rubbish and on his best days was a liability, as I said Hawthorn chose to play their backup ruckman on Lynch last week for a reason, when your greatest ability on a footy field is to run fast in a straight line I have no issue watching you do that somewhere else.

Demon4123

Senior List
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Frost named at full forward for this week’s game v North Melbourne. I know he won’t start there, but just saying.

TheBoss

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hes rubbish and on his best days was a liability, as I said Hawthorn chose to play their backup ruckman on Lynch last week for a reason, when your greatest ability on a footy field is to run fast in a straight line I have no issue watching you do that somewhere else.

I still get a chubb everytime he tucks the ball under his arm and goes for a run up the middle.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
The entire list can't all be All Australians in a salary cap league. It's about maximising a player's strength and trying to hide their deficiencies. Something we have completely failed to do with Hunt since Goodwin became coach.
I'm not saying he's this amazing player, but Roos clearly got far more out of him playing in defence than Goodwin has . It amazes me that you guys are happy with the status quo given how bad we have been at moving the ball the past year and a bit.

Schmutt whinges about the likes of Jones, Brayshaw and Harmes in defence yet is worried about Hunt's field kicking....smh. Let's stick with the plodders cause it's worked so well for us since 2019.
I'm confused. In 2 posts, you say 'the entire list can't be all australians" and in the next post say "let's stick with all the plodders (sarcastically) "

What in fact are you trying to say? Are you arguing just because you're pissed off about this club cos the last few posts over the week you've stopped discussing footy and started playing the man/making no real points about anything other than arguing.

I'm confused. In 2 posts, you say 'the entire list can't be all australians" and in the next post say "let's stick with all the plodders (sarcastically) "

What in fact are you trying to say? Are you arguing just because you're pissed off about this club cos the last few posts over the week you've stopped discussing footy and started playing the man/making no real points about anything other than arguing.

What so confusing? We are playing too many guys of a similar skill set already, now we are stuffing them in defence coz there isnt enough room in the midfield for them all.

I also had a soft spot for Frost. Tom McDonald was kinda similar in his time down back. His runs up the guts were heart in mouth stuff, with plenty of turnovers. Solid enough stopper though.

We probably could've made him less of a liability with a bit more work, even if it meant we wouldn't get moments like the torp up the guts Vs the Hawks in the SF to set up a goal.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
And while I'm here ranting about trading: Getting players in who fit a need is nice but what's even better is getting good players who fit a need.

Tomlinson/ Langdon may have been the best available runner, May was the best available key defender, sure, but if you keep getting average players in you're going to end up with an average team.

Unless of course you start overpaying for the average players in which case you're going to end up with a bunch of ******* potatoes.

Whoops 😁

Back