Melbourne vs st Kilda - race for 8th - Rd 17,2016

Remove this Banner Ad

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm still hanging onto the hope that the top 8 is not set in stone.

Melbourne & st Kilda are playing off today for a chance to make the 8.

Port did the job yesterday. The winner today is still within arms reach, along with port. For the loser, it's curtains.

St Kilda play north in 2 weeks, so I'm kind of hoping they take this game because they have their own destiny in their hands in 2 weeks.

History suggests north will be able to steady the ship and the contenders will fall short. But this sure makes for interesting viewing.

Stkilda blew it when we lost to the GC. I want us to beat Melbourne because they are similarly placed in terms of rebuilding, and it would be nice to know we are ahead of them.

Our percentage is rubbish so we'd also have to beat two of North, WB and Sydney.

It's nice to be able to talk finals at this time of year for once though.

Melbourne.

St Kilda (A)
Eagles (A)
GCS (H)
Hawks (H)
Port (A)
Carlton (H)
Cats (A)

Maybe another 3 - 4 wins.
I don't think Melbourne will make it.

St Kilda.

Melbourne (H)
Dogs (A) (Etihad)
North (A) (Etihad)
Carlton (A)
Sydney (H)
Richmond (A)
Brisbane (H)

Much prefer Saints run home.

Why is it whenever talking mathematical chances of making finals i keep visualising a Richmond guernsey. I cant help it....its the time when they start pulling out wins against top 8 clubs, get on a roll, and totally own the mathematical chance of finals debate all through August. Then we go into next year with the Tiges being talked up.

I am very surprised we are in contention for the 8 at this stage, given we have been incredibly inconsistent, to the stage we were downright rubbish in some games this year. I think it hurts the AFL case to make a 10 team final series, any team actually making the finals should be viewed as a chance for the flag and neither St Kilda or Melbourne are anywhere near it at this stage.

I genuinely hope we beat them, I think it would confirm once and for all that we have improved as a side this season. I'm not overly confident, though.

Stkilda blew it when we lost to the GC. I want us to beat Melbourne because they are similarly placed in terms of rebuilding, and it would be nice to know we are ahead of them.

Our percentage is rubbish so we'd also have to beat two of North, WB and Sydney.

Melbourne blew it when we lost to the Bombers. I want us to beat St Kilda because they are similarly placed in terms of rebuilding, and it would be nice to know we are ahead of them.

Our percentage is ok so we'd also have to beat two of Eagles, Hawks and Cats.

Okay so this is the Melbourne thing:

Haven't won 3 in a row since 2010 or so
Have won 2 in a row once since 2011
As far as I am aware, have never won the week following Darwin, and guess where we played last week? Yesirree Bob!
Haven't won against Saints since about 1895
Haven't played in finals since 2006
Have won once at Etihad (in a dead rubber) since, dunno, probably since that horrible soulless public toilet of a stadium was built

What I'm saying here is nah to the September proposition in a pretty big way.

Why is it whenever talking mathematical chances of making finals i keep visualising a Richmond guernsey. I cant help it....its the time when they start pulling out wins against top 8 clubs, get on a roll, and totally own the mathematical chance of finals debate all through August. Then we go into next year with the Tiges being talked up.
Tigers still a show

Mathematically

Weird to think one of these teams will be within finals reach.
When you think about it, all of them were raised as smokeys for a finals berth. Albeit this was on the Bigfooty ladder predictions where the disturbed congregate while waiting for antipsychotic medication to kick in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think either team will make it, would be happy if we influenced the final 8 in some way (ahem beating north).
I've said it in another thread before but I think saints and dees are gonna be bum buddies on the ladder for the next few years.

I highly doubt we can make the finals even if we beat Melbourne today, we have a pretty good run home with some very winnable games but we've been too inconsistent to string a bunch of wins together.

If we can win our next 3 games including North in a couple of weeks then I might start getting my finals hopes up.

For either team to make the finals they'd need to win most of their remaining games and finish the season with a positive W/L.

Considering there's still a third of a season left to play then it's rubbish to say neither would deserve to be in finals if they can achieve that.

Both teams need to win today for their own reasons. Finals chances really aint one of them.

I don't think either side will make it. Ports performance last night was indicative of a side genuinely pushing for top 8. They are a cut above Melbourne and St Kilda. We haven't got an easy run, however I do think we will win today and we should beat GC and Carlton. We will give a good show against Hawthorn, Geelong, and Port, but I don't like our chances.

I think both teams are to inconsistent to win enough games to make it.
Port or maybe Collingwood for mine.
All depends if the epic levels of North shitness continue or not.

We won't make it this year and I wouldn't be disappointed either, as long as we don't completely drop off. St Kilda do have a nice run home and would be more of a chance.

Okay so this is the Melbourne thing:

Haven't won 3 in a row since 2010 or so
Have won 2 in a row once since 2011
As far as I am aware, have never won the week following Darwin, and guess where we played last week? Yesirree Bob!
Haven't won against Saints since about 1895
Haven't played in finals since 2006
Have won once at Etihad (in a dead rubber) since, dunno, probably since that horrible soulless public toilet of a stadium was built

What I'm saying here is nah to the September proposition in a pretty big way.

I see you have discovered our weakness. Damn you!!!

I genuinely hope we beat them, I think it would confirm once and for all that we have improved as a side this season. I'm not overly confident, though.
I don't think it means anything long term, this result. You beat us every season, even when we finish ahead of you, and both sides have a lot of development left.

The are paying $251 to make the 8, get on it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back