Melbourne wanting to turn carpark into training oval

Remove this Banner Ad

This may very well be the case. But do you have a citation for it? Can you confirm that it applies to the areas where Melbourne's main supporter base is located? And as I said previously, it's not impossible to take the St Kilda approach and share the facilities, but I suppose that depends on what Melbourne are inclined to do.

This regarding the shortage of soccer pitches is resulting in clubs turning away players, with the FFV estimating an extra 260-420 pitches in Victoria by 2026

www.footballvictoria.com.au/sites/ffv/files/2018-12/FV_Facilities_Strategy.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj0otGYncPkAhUTg-YKHSXQCncQFjACegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw2DRpFz3_uAE3N6fZjysxpg

The next link has a lot of detail,and is the strategy doc put together reviewing facility needs in South East Melbourne. Is covers the growth of the game, capping of field use by councils due to attempts to minimise overuse, and inadequate facilities for women. It's proposing a multi layered strategy to increase ground availability from tens on millions spent on improvements in ground irrigation, lighting, and female change rooms, to new ovals and synthetic grounds

]

Last edited:

This regarding the shortage of soccer pitches is resulting in clubs turning away players, with the FFV estimating an extra 260-420 pitches in Victoria by 2026

[/URL]

The next link has a lot of detail,and is the strategy doc put together reviewing facility needs in South East Melbourne. Is covers the growth of the game, capping of field use by councils due to attempts to minimise overuse, and inadequate facilities for women. It's proposing a multi layered strategy to increase ground availability from tens on millions spent on improvements in ground irrigation, lighting, and female change rooms, to new ovals and synthetic grounds

[/URL]
Those links are broken, can you please resend?

Read up on the backlash about a lacrosse team being moved from Dorothy Laver Reserve so it can be a closed synthetic turf grounds exclusive for soccer. Or the fight in Footscray over Melbourne Victory wanting to take over one of their parks for a training facility.

Parkland is finite in Melbourne, and rate payers are loathe to hand it over for free to for profit sports groups. This is because these groups want exclusive control of the ground, it and kicks out all the local footy and cricket clubs. ...
The fight between local residents and the Maribyrnong council over the grant of public parkland to the (privately owned) Melbourne Victory (which, contrary to the attached article, is actually currently used for rugby and even more so for scratch cricket games throughout the year - yes, even in Winter) is still on-going -

Those links are broken, can you please resend?

My VPN is causing the links to be batty. All three come up in a Google search for "shortage of sports grounds in Melbourne". First is from the hun link, second the ffv, and the third the vafa

Elsternwick Park has been floated which could be a good option. VAFA finals could remain. Not sure who (if anybody) plays there during home and away.

According to wiki it's the admin and main playing base for the vafa. Sharing isn't impossible in that scenario. There is a soccer club that also plays there, so they may need to be relocated.

Council is working on an upgrade, so timing is good if they can convince council to switch plans. Negative is there is a park association, so you have to put up with their complaints.

Personally I'd push for Parkville, and use it as an opportunity to create an alliance with Melbourne uni

Didn't mean you "train" there all the time. You do use it (as do the Dees and storm), so depriving you guys of access to an existing resource is a negative the demons would need to counter.

And your points obvious about your arrangement, and completely irrelevant to the demons because they are not talking about giving up Casey. As such, it's why I've said the public access issue is a loser for them, because they are wanting something for free effectively

No, we don't train at goschs at all. We have management access of Olympic Park

My point is precisely relevant whether or not you grasped it's relevance

Lots of teams called Melbourne train on Gosch's....Demons, Storm, Victory, City & Rebels.

Collingwood has a lease on Holden centre & the adjacent ground (which, like Gosch's is a public park so their lease is akin to any sports ground across Melbourne...when not in use, the public can go there, and so long as they don't significantly affect the amenity of the leasee, can do as they will), but still use some resources from their landlord (Melbourne and Olympic Parks trust...the same people who run Gosch's).

A few other options that spring to mind:

- Stay at Gosch's Paddock... I'm sure there'd be architects who could work out space for the HQ and oval

- Fawkner Park - there's two ovals there and room for a building

- Junction Oval, where the Dees used to train. It's now a cricket ground, but there's another oval across Lakeside Drive which i believe is not currently tenanted (stand to be corrected). Possible efficiencies with the huge new Cricket Victoria facilities

- Moran Reserve, immediately south of St Kilda Marina

- Elsternwick Park

- Caulfield Park

- Caulfield Racecourse - the interior of the track is slated for renewal / redevelopment to make better use of it on non-racedays. Could quite possibly include an oval. Access on racedays could be difficult, though it's largely only used for racegoer parking, and there is a lot of space for that. There is also Glenhuntly Park on the southern border, though Caulfield Grammarians are currently based there. Adjoining that is the Neerim Lodge (formally Aquanita) stables, a troubled business which I don't believe are on a long-term lease.

Nostra-dumbass… took five years but they got there.

MELBOURNE Football Club has pitched a plan to build a new headquarters next to the MCG, with a training ground on Yarra Park.

The Herald Sun can reveal the Demons are eyeing a prized parcel of parkland, in the northeastern corner of the MCG precinct, for a full-sized football oval.

The bold proposal would also see a six-storey complex boasting an office wing, a world-class gym and medical facilities, built on top of rail tracks next to Jolimont Station.

Big no from me. MCG Park is not there’s to do as they please. Find somewhere else.

Maybe pay for a Jollimont upgrade.

Surely they can find somewhere else to build world class facilities

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A few other options that spring to mind:

- Stay at Gosch's Paddock... I'm sure there'd be architects who could work out space for the HQ and oval

- Fawkner Park - there's two ovals there and room for a building

- Junction Oval, where the Dees used to train. It's now a cricket ground, but there's another oval across Lakeside Drive which i believe is not currently tenanted (stand to be corrected). Possible efficiencies with the huge new Cricket Victoria facilities

- Moran Reserve, immediately south of St Kilda Marina

- Elsternwick Park

- Caulfield Park

- Caulfield Racecourse - the interior of the track is slated for renewal / redevelopment to make better use of it on non-racedays. Could quite possibly include an oval. Access on racedays could be difficult, though it's largely only used for racegoer parking, and there is a lot of space for that. There is also Glenhuntly Park on the southern border, though Caulfield Grammarians are currently based there. Adjoining that is the Neerim Lodge (formally Aquanita) stables, a troubled business which I don't believe are on a long-term lease.

What about Collingwood old home ground? If Collingwood not there anymore. Or Fitzroy FC old ground? That has plenty of room

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back