News Melbourne's Next Coach - Roos for 2-3 years with a succession plan

WHO DO YOU WANT?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clarkson or Roos would be a dream catch. Clarkson preferably (imo). We also need some experience around whoever we get though. I guess a Clarkson or a Roos wouldn't have it any other way though.

Who the hell voted for Garry Lyon?

Roos or Worsfold, but they are probably the most unlikely.

Roos or Worsfold, but they are probably the most unlikely.

Hasn't Worsfold given some indication though that if he loses his job at WC he'll be done as a senior coach? I thought he'd mentioned something like that in one of his pressers; that the drive to continue coaching wouldn't be there necessarily.
Realistically guys like Roos, Pagan and maybe Worsfold wouldn't be the best appointments in my mind. Not that they don't have the runs on the board or the knowledge and skillset, but rather because they're taking on the hardest coaching gig in the nation and if their hearts aren't in it 100% and they aren't prepared to wear all the s**t that will be inevitably flung in their direction then they shouldn't get the job. Roos is comfortable in the media and has indicated he doesn't really want to coach again. Pagan has been out of the game for several years and is now setting himself up outside of footy. Worsfold is a bit uncertain and depends on how the Eagles fair (also I may have been mistaken about him saying he wouldn't want to keep coaching if he got the arse). Yes we need a good, successful coach, but they must be committed to improving this team and taking the intense scrutiny in their stride. The future of the club is basically riding on the next coach's shoulders they have to be willing to take that on with their job and not just be in it because we offered them a squillion bucks.

Where's Clarkson and Kennett. I vote Kennett.

Could do far worse than Matthew Knights. Took a truly aweful list to finals and then was sacked after a seven win season which was cruelled by injuries. Got some senior players offside but the players he recruited and developed have taken Essendon from being a basket case list when he arrived to possibly pushing top 4 this year and they should improve from there.

Players he recruited and developed include Hurley, Zaharakis, Carlisle, Howlett and Myers. He also took Watson from being almost delisted to becoming an elite player. Since then he's gone to Geelong and won a VFL premiership in his first season and has the team on track for top 4 again despite losing many players to injury and promotion to AFL. He's spoken of incredibly highly by people at Geelong and acts as an assistant coach with the AFL team as well as being VFL head coach. He's got experienced at the top level and a very good coaching resume while still having a point to prove. Apart from the proven quality coaches like Roos and Clarkson (I wouldn't put Worsfold, Eade or Williams in that level) he's probably the best option out there.

Rocket Eade is the only one i can see willing to have ago and is experienced enough. all other experienced coaches have no interest, Eade to me is the most likely to consider applying especially when melbourne will be looking for an experienced coach.

a year earlier we could have had a shot at malthouse but is to late now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know I'm not a Melbourne supporter, but I reckon it should be Neale Daniher. He has a successful track record as coach of the MFC (with a Grand Final appearance against what was an unstoppable side), and was sacked under dubious circumstances. Clarko really rates him, he said he's the one assistant coach who most deserves to be head coach of an AFL club a few weeks back.

Although you could do worse than Clarkson or Ratten, I just don't want that to happen for purely selfish reasons ;)

Rocket for a year - Craig gets the arse at the end of 14, Rocket assistant, clarko for 2015.

I think Clarskon would be perfect for Melbourne. IMO it would be more possible if we win the flag this year.

- he will feel he's achieved at Hawthorn

- a new challenge at Melbourne that he is capable of achieving

- has history with MFC

As I said he would be perfect for the Dees and is exactly what your club needs.

Without another handout from the AFL where are we going to get the money to pay a coach like Clarkson? Does anyone else think we've gone for inexperienced coaches the last 3 times because that's all we can afford?

Without another handout from the AFL where are we going to get the money to pay a coach like Clarkson? Does anyone else think we've gone for inexperienced coaches the last 3 times because that's all we can afford?

While I agree its not fair to be given a PP - I do find it reasonably fair to be given a blank cheque to lure any damn coach we need to get this right.

While I agree its not fair to be given a PP - I do find it reasonably fair to be given a blank cheque to lure any damn coach we need to get this right.
I don't know about that. It'd feel a little bit like we felt after Scully left for the Giants. The AFL cashed them up and gave them everything they needed to poach talent from other teams.

Want Clarkson.

Great coach, still young - new challenge for him.

Realistically, want the best available coach - be that an assistant or a past senior coach.

If we go past senior, must be a Premiership winning coach.

Eade possibly because he developed two clubs to flag contenders from the s**t.

Would'nt mind Eade, he did pretty well at the Dogs considering what he had to play with.

Clarkson would be nice also! Please not an untried this time!

I think Clarskon would be perfect for Melbourne. IMO it would be more possible if we win the flag this year.

- he will feel he's achieved at Hawthorn

- a new challenge at Melbourne that he is capable of achieving

- has history with MFC

As I said he would be perfect for the Dees and is exactly what your club needs.

Yes I'm sure Clarkson will be loving the potential reunion with Jeff Kennett, he's an absolute idiot if he leaves the Hawks.

Would love to have him though but I would be questioning his sanity if it happened.

Yes I'm sure Clarkson will be loving the potential reunion with Jeff Kennett, he's an absolute idiot if he leaves the Hawks.

Would love to have him though but I would be questioning his sanity if it happened.

Kennett believes that no one should be at a club longer than 6 years (players not included obviously). Other than that him and Clarko had/have a good relationship.

We were a basket case on and off the field when he took over at the end of 2004.

Financially it would be a good move for him.

It's a new challenge. This is his 9th season at Hawthorn. If we win the flag he might feel like a change. He may feel that way even if we don't salute at the end of the year.

Your list is arguably better than ours was in 2004.

Obviously when you look at it you'd rather coach Hawthorn than Melbourne at the present time but Clarko loves a challenge and as I said he would be perfect for Melbourne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back