Gym & Misc Member Profiles - Post yours!

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness, Training and Nutrition' started by Outburst, Oct 8, 2011.

Put it out there
  1. saj_21

saj_21 Premiership Player

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Warney's IPL team!
    I like a bit of variety, I find if im doing 6-8 sets on the one exercise I get "bored" and form can slip. So say for back day I will do 5-6 exercises 4 sets each.

Barbell, DB, cable rows
    Lay pull down, inverted pull down and chin ups

Cotchin 9 likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Shupe

Shupe Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Indianapolis Colts
    Just counted and I hit 18 sets for chest today. Probably my biggest workout in terms of sets, I'd say legs/back would be about 15 sets. Shoulders less. I've never really counted though. I'm generally pretty instinctive.

3. ThePezDispenser

ThePezDispenser Premium Gold

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    LeBron James, Phil Heath
    Pretty high rep ranges, Saj. But to lift more bench than squats seems a bit odd.

4. saj_21

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Warney's IPL team!
    I've really backed off squats and deads during footy season because my legs don't recover in time for Saturday. Last game this weekend so give it 4 weeks and my squats will be right back up there.

Rep ranges are around 6-8 now, I like doing 10-12 week blocks of different rep ranges

5. WakeUpPies

WakeUpPies Premium Platinum

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    I got bored and dieted down for 2 months just because I can.

[​IMG]

Honestly not worth it. I'm tired and irritated all the time except during the 20 minutes after I've had my Coco Pops :D

Edit. And forget about PRs, I don't even lift.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    2006_Eagles and raskolnikov like this.
  6. Linda_Lovelace

Linda_Lovelace Club Legend

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Collingwood
    Height: 191
    Weight: 115

Supplements:
    Protein Powder

Diet:
    4,000 calories a day, 45% protein, 45% carbs, 10% fat (give or take)

Goals:
    12% body fat (last measure 15%), Dead lift 300kg (currently 250kg PB). Can't squat due to age related issues.

PB's - outside of deads, irrelevant as my program does things different and does not use traditional moves for things like bench press.

Achievements so far: Fat down from 27.5 in 6 months.

Andre likes this.
  7. ioppolo

ioppolo Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
    4000 calories as a 46 year old?

8. Aeglos

Aeglos Team Captain

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Well he is 115kg lol

TheDyerLegacy likes this.
  9. Unique Name

Unique Name Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Height: 190cm
    Weight: 94kg

Supps: Bought the WPC stack from bulk nutrients. Protein, Creatine and BCAA's. I thought it was pretty good value. Never used creatine or BCAA's before so will be interesting to see any differences.

Reasons for starting: Had a decent back injury 8 months ago after awkwardly lifting my baby daughter. The Chiro said lifting the baby was just the straw that broke the camels back as my back was overall in pretty bad shape. It took a good 5 months to recover! In that time the weight stacked back on.

Have dropped 10kgs now and I'm ready to get back into it.

Goals: Strengthen the back and legs! Build some muscles for vanity purposes and generally just get stronger/fitter.

Program: Doing the Stronglifts 5x5

Started yesterday and the DOMS have hit pretty hard this morning but it feels good.

Shupe, Andre and saj_21 like this.
  10. Andre

Andre Brownlow Medallist

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Having done my back myself don't neglect your glutes with your training. Weak glutes will have your lower back taking over in their place. Get them strong and you'll have much less pain/issues.

PoppedCorn and Unique Name like this.
  11. cptkirk

cptkirk Premiership Player

Sydney
    Other teams:
    I don't know why I've never done this until now but alas:

Height: 168
    Weight: 80ish
    Body type: small joints but thick through the arse and thighs
    Qualifications in the industry: PT studio owner so 3/4 cert + level 1 strength and conditioning coach (asca)...many other quals along the way

Supplements: none in the of-season as it;s counter productive as you want stress to drive adaptation but last in-season i ran with beta alanine which was pretty good for soreness and allowing my old body to recover and start to train mon instead of tue

Diet: same thing pretty much everyday really

meal 1 - 6 weetbix, 400ml milk, sugar
    meal 2 - ham sandwitch on protein bread, choc milk, apple
    meal 3 - 4 eggs, 2 - 4 slices of bacon, 2 peices of bread, bowl of veg
    meal 4 - chicken, veg

give or take + take out over the weekend 1 - 2 (macca's, fkc, fish and chips the usual)

Goals: footy so i'm looking at sprinting speed (accleration + max velocity) + aerobic fitness (resting heart rate, recovery rate, lacatate threshold etc)
    Achievements so far: 1st sprint session i covered 35 in 5.21secs and already down to 4.71secs (wind assisted) in 4 weeks...speed is really my biggie as i play deep forward so i simply need to bolt out and bolt back when needed but as i'm a bigger body if i can swing through the midfield then i still need the aerobic stuff for that

Sport played: Football

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. WakeUpPies

WakeUpPies Premium Platinum

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Has anyone else found that getting really lean skews their perception of what is considered "normal" really badly?

I'm slowly bulking now, and even though I still have an obvious six pack, I catch myself thinking "hmm getting a bit chubby" purely because I'm not as lean as I was a kilogram ago. Of course I realise that's completely stupid which is why it hasn't stopped me from gaining. It is "interesting" though and I wonder if it will have a bigger impact 5 kilograms down the line.

13. showdownhero

showdownhero Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    on a journey through time and space
    Not skewing what is normal, it's wanting to have your cake and eat it too

[​IMG]

end of the day trying to gain strength and muscle mass when at low BF% is too hard and when it comes to a little extra flab you just have to not let it get to you. All for the greater good :)

WakeUpPies likes this.
  14. Aeglos

Aeglos Team Captain

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Then you gain like 10% and stop caring

15. Shupe

Shupe Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Indianapolis Colts
    That's not actually true. The body responds better when at lower BF levels in it's ability to build lean muscle mass. Gaining weight is considered the 'easy' way to get stronger, but your body creates more and more fat cells (which you don't actually lose) and thus your body becomes inefficient. It also makes the whole 'bulking' and 'cutting' more difficult each and every time you do it.

I know that's simplifying it somewhat, but I've read several articles that go into detail about this. I also know several people that have gained considerable size whilst staying very lean (around 10% BF). And then I watch all these guys toil away in the gym, year after year, bulking and cutting, and getting pretty average results. So it's all well and good that I've read some articles, but it's also confirming what I've witnessed in life.

16. Aeglos

Aeglos Team Captain

Essendon
    Other teams:
    All the pro's now stay a lot closer to their comp BF% in the off season than years prior as well (albeit with pharmaceutical aid)

Shupe likes this.
  17. showdownhero

showdownhero Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    on a journey through time and space
    Completely agree, I wasn't advocating piling on the calories and fat when bulking but I realise I probably phrased my original point poorly.

I think the best way to bulk/strength gain is to start with your maintenance calories and only increase if you're not gaining strength or size as you would like, even still I don't think you should increase you calories by any more than 500 per week.

What I meant in my initial post was you're level of leanness and aesthetics during this phase will probably (almost certainly) decrease slightly but it's better not to worry about it.

Shupe likes this.
  18. saj_21

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Warney's IPL team!

Just an update;

My weight hit its peak at the end of September, just under 96kg weighed in this morning at 90.5kg. My goal was to hit 90kg by the end of November.

Training hasn't changed much still doing pull, legs, push twice a week, between now and my last post i have been mostly training in 3-5 rep range but the last 2 weeks my strength has dropped off a bit due to the lower calories than i was on 4 weeks ago. I will maintain the 20-24 sets for legs, back, chest and 12 or so sets for arms and shoulders, but i will look at increasing the rep range to 8-12.

I am playing footy again next year so i will start running again soon and do a couple of pre season sessions with my footy club before Xmas.

Diet has been a lot better, sticking to my meals during the week and less junk food over weekends, once the running for footy picks up i will add in a few extra calories.

My goal will be to hit March around 83kg.

Jab and Aeglos like this.
  19. DemonTim

DemonTim Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    What area do you play footy mate?

20. saj_21

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Warney's IPL team!
    I play in the northern footy league, I play in the reserves. We finished last this year so we got relegated to division two. Not a bad thing as the seniors and reserves just won two games each. We've recruited well and both sides should finish top two.

21. DemonTim

DemonTim Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    I swear to god noone plays in my league haha damn city folk

22. Cotchin 9

Cotchin 9 Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Ryan ten Doeschate. LFC, Hertha BSC
    See ya out there haha.

23. saj_21