Gym & Misc Member Profiles - Post yours!

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness, Training and Nutrition' started by Outburst, Oct 8, 2011.

Put it out there
  1. scotslad

scotslad Senior List

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    I have previously done well with my nutrition but as I am now studying for professional exams (along with working full time) i have ballooned on some weight because of it, I remember that when i was at uni i started to put on weight cos studying can be long and tedious. Any recommendations for me? How does one control their diet when working and studying together?

Any others in my predicament?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. DemonTim

DemonTim Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Meal prep is key for me in busy times. I just spend one day a week making up everything to cover the whole week, then just chuck it in a container and take it to work/uni with me each day.

3. saj_21

saj_21 Premiership Player

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Warney's IPL team!
    Time for another update;

Weighed in this morning at 89 kg. I've lost 1.5kg since the last weigh in which i am pretty happy with considering the last 4 weeks i've had work functions, Christmas Parties, weddings.....i probably drank twice as much alcohol in the last 4 weeks than i did all year and not to mention all the food.

Training has remained the same, still your basic legs/pull/push my volume peaked around 30 sets total in the 3-5 rep range. Now i have dropped the sets down to 20-24 in the 6-12 rep range, trying to pick up the intensity and give myself more time/energy to focus on running coming into footy season next year.

I will look at different style split in the new year just to focus on running and footy training;

M - shoulders / footy
    T - back
    W - triceps / footy
    T - biceps
    F - legs - running
    S - chest - running

Goal is still to get down to 83kg around March. I did my first 2km run about 4-5 weeks ago it was 8:33.....i did one last weekend it was 8:12.....my goal is to get that down to around 7:30 - 7:45

Cotchin 9 likes this.
  4. DemonTim

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    First 8km in 8:33?! :eek:

5. saj_21

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Warney's IPL team!
    typo haha....

6. DemonTim

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Haha I assumed, just wasn't sure what it was meant to be

What position do you play?

7. saj_21

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Warney's IPL team!
    Midfield, I'm 5'10.

I've always been a strong runner but a steady pace, I've never been quick. Kinda like Robert Harvey who just run the same pace from the opening bounce to the last quarter.

DemonTim likes this.
  8. Drumroe

Drumroe Premiership Player

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Detroit Pistons
    Legs on the Friday the day before footy? And why do you need a whole day for biceps/triceps?

9. saj_21

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Warney's IPL team!
    That is my pre season split, in season will be different. There a few reasons why my split is like it is;

My current split is doing two body parts a day twice a week, doing once a week will allow more quality volume. I.e not training biceps after back etc.

Shorter sessions to give me more time for running.

I love going to the gym each day, don't feel like a day off during the week.

This split isn't focused on footy its focused in building muscle.

10. schmuttt

schmuttt Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    West Ham United
    Figured I might start posting updates in here, at least it is relatively anonymous but I can still keep myself accountable.

Height: 185
    Weight: 133
    Body type: Meso
    Qualifications in the industry: none

Diet: Pretty basic plan with pasta, wraps and curry/rice. All easy to make stuff for now

Goals: My body both gains and loses weight very quickly, I weighed 130 in late 2013 and by July 2014 weighed 91, however at the start of 2015 I slowly began putting it back on until the last three months where I've hovered around low 130s. I didn't play sport at all this year which accelerated my weight gain, but my diet also got a lot worse as I moved out of home in February. I'd like to hit 120 by the start of March and be under 100 at the end of my exams sometime in June, then probably aim to get 85 by the start of November
    Achievements so far: None

Sport played: Footy

How'd you end up going with this mate?

11. go you pups

go you pups Brownlow Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
    Had a really bad patch about 6-8 weeks after I posted that

Broke engagement up, plus me Dad had a heart attack (survived thankfully), but yeah fell in a deep dark hole and was pretty unmotivated for a few months and let myself go (basically all summer and most of autumn and just got by).

Eventually got my shit together in May, started going to the pool, became a vegetarian cold turkey and changed gyms to one within walking distance of my house (bout 10min walk), best decisions I've made in a few years.

I'm still fairly heavy (mid-high 150s) currently and still have a gut that I'm not happy with, but I'm regaining some old strength back, going to gym 4-5 days a week now and feeling much better in myself. Starting to see some definition in my upper body again which is a good sign of improvement.

Still got a solid year or two of hard gymwork to get in before I'd be happy with a certain level of fitness and I still have to manage my back correctly, but I'm making progress now with a better frame of mind compared to back then so I'll slug it out now whereas I wouldn't be able too back then.

vonn and schmuttt like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. vonn

vonn Bigfooty Legend

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Okkkk time for an update as I am getting ancient and just had another birthday. ANOTHER birthday. To think I joined BF when I was 13...

Height: 167
    Weight: 54 kg
    Body type: Meso.

Qualifications in the Industry: A Gym-Loving BF who has dedicated his life to 'gains' with PT certs (but seriously, not one of those fad fitness dudes which is great for helping me with form and such).

Supplements: Previously used WPI, going to use it again.

Diet: Ranging from 750-1100cal depending on desired goal... but quite healthy. Quick snapshot - oats with water, corn thins with canned Tuna, whatever for dinner (usually some kind of Asian vegetable stir-fry with tofu and such) + iron supplements and Berocca) Snacks: Cherry Tomato and Apple. I'll also have a square of chocolate once a month when PMS hits then hate myself for the rest of the month.

Goals: Drop BF% while pretending to be strong.

Current Figures (still on newbie gains, go easy on me I've only been back for 6 months) so I can quote and see the difference next year:

Arms:
    Curls - 10kg (Machine)
    Arnies - 7kg (Free Weights)
    Shoulder Press - 7kg (Free Weights)
    Tri Pushdown - 7.5kg (Rope)

Back:
    Wide Grip Cable Rows - 31kg
    Narrow Grip Cable Rows - 33kg
    Lat Pulldowns - 33kg
    Face Pulls - 7.5kg
    Shrugs - 8kg

Legs - a lot more limited because I have bad knees (subluxation, recurrent dislocation)... but I never used to do legs! So this is a major improvement.
    Leg Curl - 25kg
    Leg Extension - 35kg
    Leg Press - 40kg
    Squats - Bodyweight with increased reps (Knees)... same with lunges... truth be told I more often than not skip these two as it's just painful if I don't have tape on.
    Hip Adduction - 65 kg
    Hip Abduction - 65 kg

Core:
    Body-weight standard ones, sit-ups, planks, side-to-side with a medical ball (whatever that is called), the one where you put your legs up (whatever that is called) - Clearly I don't know any names :(.

Cardio:
    5x2min Skipping
    10min HIIT Elliptical (if I can be bothered, which I usually cannot).

Also - all 3 x 10 and 1 warm up set and 1 drop set.

I try and go pretty much every day... naturally that isn't always sustainable but I usually get at least 5 sessions in a week.

Open to suggestions :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    saj_21 and go you pups like this.
  13. go you pups

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Is that a standard workout for you? Meaning doing weights for every main muscle group (chest, back, legs, arms etc all on the one day).

14. vonn

vonn Bigfooty Legend

Sydney
    Other teams:
    No... I would probably die haha. I usually split it up with arm day + cardio, leg day + cardio etc. Core takes quicker so I usually do core + longer cardio.

go you pups likes this.
  15. go you pups

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Cool, that's ok, keep slugging away with it.

I just started using the cross trainer for more cardio as I'm a bit over walking and bike and I'm not mobile/light enough to start jogging again yet (tried, too uncomfortable) and I found the xtrainer was great at raising my heart rate compared to the bike (bike 110-140 depending on level, xtrainer 140-170) so I'll throw in the xtrainer to the cardio routine now as I'll probably get results off it, but previously years ago I found it boring and the stepper was better, but my current gym doesn't have a stepper.

FWIW, I couldn't be bothered going to gym today, too hot plus already been 5 times this week (once Monday, Tuesday, Thurse, twice Wednesday which is usually my peak training day), so I felt guilty, started doing push ups lol, just did 4 sets of incline push ups on a 2 foot high brick ledge outside, going to try decline push ups on the couch now :p

vonn and saj_21 like this.
  16. cptkirk

cptkirk Premiership Player

Sydney
    Other teams:
    have you tied deadlift variations which are very knee friendly and hip thrusts?

17. vonn

vonn Bigfooty Legend

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Which particular deadlift variation are you talking about? But no, probably not.
    I do that exercise working hip flexors where I'm lying down with a weight on my 'pelvis' (awkward) then raising my lower half up. Is that what you mean by hip thrusts?

18. go you pups

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Eh, backs not strong enough for decline push ups yet, but did incline 4 sets, flat 3 sets, incline sets to fatigue (another 3) and 3 of tricep dips.

Not too bad for a guilt workout I guess, good body weight strength tester.

schmuttt likes this.
  19. cptkirk

Sydney
    Other teams:
    yep they're hip trusts - any deadlift variation will be fine as you're knee doesn't have to do anything but support you - might be a better option then squats

vonn likes this.
  20. Belnakor

Belnakor Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    FWIW i was in the exact same boat as you on knees (kneecap stability) and avoided leg work like the plague - definitely worst thing you can do and just made the issues worse :|

21. phantom13

phantom13 Moderator

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Dolphins
    Posting in here a lot so why not

Height: 184
    Weight: 85 kg (have been between 82 and 88 since I was 18)
    Body type: Meso.

Qualifications in the Industry: 0% but...
    Former TAC Cup and VFL footballer
    Trained in MMA and Boxing for 10+ years
    Started semi competitive OCR last year and came 4th in the non pros at the Spartan Race World Champs in Hawaii for the 14km open age and 5th in the 7km sprint.

In short I have a lot of "experience" and know very well what works for me but I have no quals and wouldn't ever claim to be an expert in anything.

Supplements: Protein supps, BCAA and Creatine based pre workout (periodically, mostly in heavy training blocks)

Diet: Dieted in the xtreme all the years playing football so its fairly relaxed now, I generally eat healthy and know what works for me but I don't calorie count and if I want a donut I eat a donut.

Goals: Dipping a toe back into Football this year coming off a long layoff after a serious injury (broken neck 7 years ago) otherwise its just general fitness, running is meditation and weights/workouts are for fun and honestly aesthetics, we all want to look good with a shirt off.

Other: I just enjoy challenging myself and working hard, I do a little of everything and enjoy most of it, im functionally very strong and fit and reasonable out on the run/cardio stuff too.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    DemonTim and saj_21 like this.
  22. Aeglos

Aeglos Team Captain

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Broken vertebrae are nasty
    There's a guy running around at Wandin who missed out on a shot at AFL because of something wrong with his spine
    Collingwood were keen with a 2nd or 3rd rounder but the medicos took one look at a scan and told him to forget about contact sport altogether
    In the end he had all this spinal fusion surgery but couldn't play fully til he was around 25 (also apparently gained 5-6cm in height post surgery which probably tells you his spine was pretty stuffed to begin with lol)

DemonTim likes this.
  23. phantom13

phantom13 Moderator

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Dolphins
    Yeh, I got incredibly lucky in hindsight, it didn't "ruin my shot" or anything (I was never ever gonna get drafted) but I was a workhorse with huge workrate and fitness and this ruined a lot of the work I had done and limited what I could when I was pushing to come back. However guys I saw during my rehab were in spinal halos for 6 months while I got some surgery and a neck brace for a fortnight.

24. Aeglos

Aeglos Team Captain

Essendon
    Other teams:

Yup, as Eric LeGrande (quadriplegic from NFL injury) says whenever someone asks him how he's going etc
    "Compared to what?"

25. cptkirk

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Who did you play vfl for and where will you maybe play this year?