Preview Member's forum 2017: Facing the music / Dancing to the music

Are you interested in the member's forum this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask the tough questions if you want, do it respectfully, see how you go.

This is the key to it I think.

From time to time someone does try to have a crack, they're not asking their question to get an answer, but more as an expression of frustration. They don't do it particularly respectfully, and they end up being hissed down by the rest of the room. One particularly memorable moment was when somebody suggested we trade out Scharenberg after he did his second ACL.

From time to time someone does try to have a crack, they're not asking their question to get an answer, but more as an expression of frustration. They don't do it particularly respectfully, and they end up being hissed down by the rest of the room. One particularly memorable moment was when somebody suggested we trade out Scharenberg after he did his second ACL.
Not destined for success that approach.

And we wonder why they put a spin on the questions. It's because people like that ruin it. God we have some moronic supporters.

I hope we get a new game style philosophy from Bucks this year with his annual slideshow 'explanation'

Best transition side in the league got the arse fairly quickly for the more modest shape and grunt.

I'd love to ask a question about the development and player welfare area of the footy department. I'm not sure how to frame it without being confrontational.

We have not had a head of football development since Craig McRae left. What changes will be made to the football development department?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love to ask a question about the development and player welfare area of the footy department. I'm not sure how to frame it without being confrontational.

I don't think the room has any issues about being confrontational. Journalists are confrontational all the time.

I reckon the room mainly cares about whether the questions are reasonable and respectful and relevant.

I don't think the room has any issues about being confrontational. Journalists are confrontational all the time.

I reckon the room mainly cares about whether the questions are reasonable and respectful and relevant.

What questions would you like to ask 76?

What questions would you like to ask 76?

I'm giving it some thought.

What I'm struggling with is to think of questions that I can't already imagine how the club leadership would answer.

I like the ones you've come up with :thumbsu:

What I'm struggling with is to think of questions that I can't already imagine how the club leadership would answer.

You need to ask specific questions that don't give room for maneuvering

Like:
"Hi Eddie, please don't take any offence but I would appreciate a direct answer with out the normal embellishments, which, by the way I usually appreciate, but can you tell me exactly how/what/when........"

Ask who Ed is meant to be answering to and why 5 of the 6 board members voted Buckley out but he still remains.

I would like the club to be ambitious and think out of the box (off-field). We need to go back to the future and look at overseas sports. Geelong and the interstate clubs have such a big advantage playing majority of games at their own venue where our home games are often against Melbourne teams and at a neutral venue.

I would propose the club look into building their own 60,000 seat stadium (full of members and keeps demand high) where we get to keep the bulk of the matchday revenues and advertising rights. We could future proof ourselves and differentiate from other Melbourne clubs. Whilst the suburban grounds needed to go as they were aging and would have been too difficult to regenerate, having a state of the art stadium in the middle of Melbourne that is a Collingwood only ground (or partner with Richmond) and set ourselves apart and grow the club.

I would at least like to see if this sort of big picture thinking is in the agenda or if we remain a short term focused club which is hurting us re: lack or clear plan or direction for the club.

You need to ask specific questions that don't give room for maneuvering

Like:
"Hi Eddie, please don't take any offence but I would appreciate a direct answer with out the normal embellishments, which, by the way I usually appreciate, but can you tell me exactly how/what/when........"
Do you really think this approach will work? Starting with "don't take any offence", is a sure way to put him on the defensive.

Following it up with "a direct answer with out the normal embellishments" is another sure way to get him defensive & is basically calling him a s**t talker.

As for "but can you tell me exactly how/what/when........", how do you think this stops him from firing back a wishy washy nothing response?

Gee & you call people on this board simpletons.:rolleyes:

Back