Game Day Members forum 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Questions will be conveniently hand picked.

There’ll be many questions along the lines of “Why did we offload Stephenson so cheaply?” ... and we can reasonably expect those to be consolidated.

Apart from that, I’m optimistic. Haven’t seen any evidence of the club shirking the tough questions at these events before.

What makes this one a bit different is that it’s online and so they’ll probably be a little less candid than usual. Once upon a time they might said “look, we had to get rid of Stephenson because he had this bad habit of going to the hellfire club until 4am before every gameday so we weren’t seeing the best out of him on the footy field” but maybe they’d be a little less inclined to say that to an online audience.

84806afeb5e20a1dd2374e95b62a5c2b.gif

I haven't had much success finding any info around about the forum . Stumbled onto this list while searching which wouldn't be a bad start.

Last edited:
84806afeb5e20a1dd2374e95b62a5c2b.gif

I haven't had much success finding any info around about the forum . Stumbled onto this list while searching which wouldn't be a bad start.

good luck getting that lot of questions on the table - better luck getting them answered!

I have a question.............. who's compiling the list of questions for tonight?

Ed, what is the succession plan for the Presidency of the CFC?
Ed, what processes are now in place to optimise our salary cap management?
Ed, what processes does the CFC board have in place to limit board groupthink?
Answer - "we're not sure what i) processes are, or ii) groupthink is - we do have Edthink though"

There’ll be many questions along the lines of “Why did we offload Stephenson so cheaply?” ... and we can reasonably expect those to be consolidated.

Apart from that, I’m optimistic. Haven’t seen any evidence of the club shirking the tough questions at these events before.

What makes this one a bit different is that it’s online and so they’ll probably be a little less candid than usual. Once upon a time they might said “look, we had to get rid of Stephenson because he had this bad habit of going to the hellfire club until 4am before every gameday so we weren’t seeing the best out of him on the footy field” but maybe they’d be a little less inclined to say that to an online audience.

Treloar trade compensation should 100% be questioned given how much we need to still pay him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Treloar trade compensation should 100% be questioned given how much we need to still pay him.
I really hope this isn't a question that's answered, I also don't want to see a question around 'How did we get into this salary cap position?'

The answers as simple - we overachieved in 2018, went all in on 2019 and it didnt pay off. Happens all the time, Richmond have lost best 22 players every year since they have started winning flags; Rance, Higgins, Butler, Ellis - all whilst bringing playing into the team; Prestia, Lynch. Unfortunately Beams didn't pan out, nor did we win any flags to paper over the cracks.

The real question that needs to be asked is why were Treloar, Stevo (and to a lesser extend Philips) identified as the players who would make way. There are plenty of highly paid players at Collingwood that could have been supplanted for them if this was just a salary dump exercise. Has there been a prioritization of harmony within the ranks that has led to this? Were the out going players difficult to deal with? Did they not want to conform to standards set by the club? Did they simply not gel with the other 40 blokes in the team, which was causing unrest?

The members’ forum is tonight (Monday 14th Dec)

Are you expecting any surprises?

What questions do you want answered?

I haven't put a filter on these questions and would reconsider their phrasing if I were to actually ask them:

• If we hadn't traded Stephenson, Treloar, Phillips would we have breached the cap?
  • If so, how did we allow that to occur?
  • How much of Treloars salary are we on the hook for?
  • How much of Beams salary are we on the hook for?
  • Is Langdon still being paid next year?
  • Walsh is gone. Will there be any further changes to the football department this off season?
  • Ed, how much longer will you continue to contest the Collingwood presidency?
  • I'm an interstate supporter and I feel disengaged from the club. Interstate memberships offer interstate members very little - are there plans to improve this (such as access to streaming services) and how will you better engage with your non Melbourne members? Do you even perceive this as an issue.

I had hoped to submit a couple of draft-related questions just because I know everyone else would've had the Stephenson, Treloar and Salary Cap questions well and truly covered... but I forgot and missed the deadline by a couple of hours.

I just hope you can watch it back afterwards. It's not on at a convenient time for me but I'd like to watch it.

where is this being streamed

It won’t be an open slather event with every man and his dog able to attend, it is only open to members. I would assume it would have had some form of registration and those registered to attend will have received a link and a unique password to log in. If the club intends for it to be managed, then the password will only be able to be used for one login in order to prevent it to be on forwarded to third parties. It’s a members’ forum for members only, not an entertainment event for the amusement of the AFL world or journalists.

It will be nothing but spin if the questions are answered at all. They’ll dodge the answer by not answering it and then talk about side by side and how everyone is important blah blah but never actually answer anything. Because it’s online there’ll be little push back than in person. Harder to dodge an angry supporter standing up in the audience demanding answers. Online they can be muted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back