Game Day Members forum 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

76woodenspooners can you provide anything further re this Monash facility? Is it aligned to Victoria Sport? If so that’s extremely exciting because of the need for an alternative home base.

Yes, I believe that is part of Victoria Sport ... it was announced around a year ago. My understanding was it will be contained within the Olympic Park precinct but I could be wrong with that.

What’s the consensus view of the clubs backhanders to Treloar since leaving?

For me, it depends which specific backhander you’re referring to. It ranges from the comment at last night’s forum that none of the players let go in the trade period were top 10 in the Copeland, which IMO was fair and entirely appropriate ... to Walsh’s comment on radio that Treloar isn’t part of the fabric of the group, which IMO was unprofessional and inappropriate.

He was an AA squad member in 2019 when they extended his contract by 6 ******* YEARS now they come out and communicate to us they rate him that lowly. Somethings NQR there.

He’s left now. We are now in a good TPP position. Key leaders at the club who were involved in the decision are leaving. We accept it and move on ...

Yes, I believe that is part of Victoria Sport ... it was announced around a year ago. My understanding was it will be contained within the Olympic Park precinct but I could be wrong with that.

For me, it depends which specific backhander you’re referring to. It ranges from the comment at last night’s forum that none of the players let go in the trade period were top 10 in the Copeland, which IMO was fair and entirely appropriate ... to Walsh’s comment on radio that Treloar isn’t part of the fabric of the group, which IMO was unprofessional and inappropriate.

He’s left now. We are now in a good TPP position. Key leader at the club who was involved in the decision are leaving. We accept it and move on ...

That would be disappointing if it’s to be contained within the precinct because there just doesn’t seem to be space, but if they can find the some happy days. I appreciate the context re top 10 I may have misread it initially from last nights commentary although I absolutely agree with your assessment.

I’ve also made a slight edit to your post based on Treloar leaving. I believe there would have been 5 people involved in that decision making process (Walsh, Hine, Buckley, Guy and much to my annoyance Anderson) and only one is leaving. If there was a sixth in Ed then all the more reason for him to depart.

What’s the consensus view of the clubs backhanders to Treloar since leaving? I read comments in this thread about them having him outside our top 10 players. Is anyone buying that? He was an AA squad member in 2019 when they extended his contract by 6 ******* YEARS now they come out and communicate to us they rate him that lowly. Somethings NQR there.

76woodenspooners can you provide anything further re this Monash facility? Is it aligned to Victoria Sport? If so that’s extremely exciting because of the need for an alternative home base.

I think with the Treloar situation there’s more behind the scenes than we will know. I am leaning towards the club’s position in that it was patently obvious this year (as well as last year, tbh) that our centre clearance work was abysmal, the ease with which opposition mids could clear the ball was a major flaw. There is no denying the Adams and Pendlebury had excellent seasons and Treloar didn’t reach equivalent standards/levels. Having said that though, it is probably a little harsh to say he is outside our top 10 players however there is no denying Treloar is not the same since his double hamstring tendon tears. It appears that when you look at it in the cold light of day and in comparison to our other top earners, Treloar was the one we could afford to lose. Brutal but all things considered (including his family situation, which on the balance of probabilities will be a major hurdle for him, and I am in no way being disrespectful to him) I can see the logic in what the club has done.

Think like most players at Collingwood that Struggled in the Bubble

Think thats a massive excuse and bs when many other clubs were in the same position and didnt implode.

We are like that rotten spoilt child whos parents think their kids do no wrong and give every reason under the sun as to why its not their fault.

My feeling on last night's forum is that with the exception of Eddie's announcement there was nothing really new, especially around the trade and draft period which was the biggest focus of the night. But the messaging and the explanations where both more blunt but more clear than they have been previously. For example around the explanation for Treloar. Right after trade period Walsh said that Treloar was not part of the fabric of the club, whereas last night Walsh clarified that none of the players let go where in our B&F top 10 and none of them were seen as irreplaceable in our team. I think both explanations were meant to mean the same thing but where as the first explanation was clumsy and came across as a personal dig, the second was an understandable rationale for why those players were chosen. Another example, staying with Walsh, was the Tom Lynch thing. In the same interview after trade period Walsh said we never pursued Lynch, whereas last night he explained that we never tabled an offer to Lynch, because we weren't in a genuine position to do so, and he doesn't believe that you can legitimately pursue a player if you don't table an offer for them to consider.

I was interested when Eddie revealed that the his insight from the various committees he was on allowed the club to be aware of what was coming down the pipeline in regards to the TPP and that was part of the issue with our cap and we were able to solve that and get ahead of it whilst other clubs are potentially going to be in trouble with the changes. It also seemed clear without anyone saying it that Ned Guy inherited the problem and tried to manage it to keep the group together through the last couple of years but ultimately that plan was never going to be sustainable long term.

“So I won’t be handing off a hospital handball, that is why I’m making this announcement tonight, to give interested parties or more to the point people we are interested in, time to get their affairs in order and for me and my board to have the opportunity of providing a Barack Obama style transition rather than a Donald Trump experience."

He seems to think spying on an incoming presidential team is the right way to transition. That was the Obama style. McGuire continually injects his political views into discussions which is the quickest way to cause division with your supporter base. So much for side by side.

Just one of the reasons I can't wait to see the back of this purple faced pumpkin headed virtue signaling tosser.

You’re being a bit precious I think - it’s a fair analogy if we want a smooth transition.

That would be disappointing if it’s to be contained within the precinct because there just doesn’t seem to be space, but if they can find the some happy days
The old cafe area at the front of the building was used as to give a introduction brief speech on the fan tour I was part of, but otherwise it appears largely under utilised. That space is also largely separate from the rest of the building and has it's own street access.

Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 9.21.19 AM.png

It doesn't seem big enough though to accomodate all aspects of the announcement though and the $70 million price tag suggests a new building. Assuming we cannot block heritage sight lines on the north west corner the only undeveloped land* around the oval are the north east and south east corners. Further east there's a carpark on the other side of AAMI park.

* BOM currently uses the south east corner of the site with a weather station that was relocated from the CBD in recent years.

Victoria Sport facilities will include:
  • Treatment clinics and performance research laboratories
  • New facilities for women’s sport
  • Education and Conference Theatres
  • Olympic Park Visitor Centre
  • Rehabilitation Gymnasium

Think thats a massive excuse and bs when many other clubs were in the same position and didnt implode.

We are like that rotten spoilt child whos parents think their kids do no wrong and give every reason under the sun as to why its not their fault.

Way off the mark mate.
No one complained during the season.
We made the Top 8, won the impossible final, so all things considered an acceptable result.
And if all that means we imploded - then you need a dictionary.

Way off the mark mate.
No one complained during the season.
We made the Top 8, won the impossible final, so all things considered an acceptable result.
And if all that means we imploded - then you need a dictionary.

So all the off field stuff is not part of it?

We played like s**t most the year and made the 8 by the skin of our teeth.

Players like Grundy Stephenson Degoey amoung others played like carp.

Fire sale of a trade period. Admins moving on. Supporter unrest.

Yeah club handled it brilliantly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So all the off field stuff is not part of it?

We played like sh*t most the year and made the 8 by the skin of our teeth.

Players like Grundy Stephenson Degoey amoung others played like carp.

Fire sale of a trade period. Admins moving on. Supporter unrest.

Yeah club handled it brilliantly.

Let’s stick to your point about the hub - there was no whinging or excuses during the year - so your spoilt child, and implosion claims are unfounded.

Bucks on hub life. Acknowledges that players didnt cope well. Club didnt support them well due to skeleton staff.

I'm guessing Bucks neglected to mention that he jeopardized our entire hub, just so he could "play tennis" with Alicia Molik? And by "play tennis", I don't mean anything to do with actually playing tennis

Works for me. All these millionaire/billionaire types might have served their purpose at one time, but they just strike me as being totally complacent and out of touch. It’s definitely time for some fresh, dynamic new faces to replace the fat cats.

So self made people, who have had the Skill, drive and passion to be successful in life have nothing to offer?
Ok then.

What’s the consensus view of the clubs backhanders to Treloar since leaving? I read comments in this thread about them having him outside our top 10 players. Is anyone buying that? He was an AA squad member in 2019 when they extended his contract by 6 ******* YEARS now they come out and communicate to us they rate him that lowly. Somethings NQR there.

Post # 138 above gave me some context on why AT was expendable and therefore outside the Top 10.
However it would have been great if some asked the follow up question “ what criteria are you using to say AT is not in the Top 10”.

Yes - a transition plan the gave us a flag.

Would you have a problem with a young dynamo being shown the reins by Ed in a transition plan - I certainly would not.
That is opinion, not fact - we'll never no whether the transition plan resulted in the flag, or whether we would have won it anyway.

Just like we'll never know whether the pig headed decision not to delay it cost us a second or not.

Post # 138 above gave me some context on why AT was expendable and therefore outside the Top 10.
However it would have been great if some asked the follow up question “ what criteria are you using to say AT is not in the Top 10”.
And when did he drop out of the top 10 would have been a good question too.

That is opinion, not fact - we'll never no whether the transition plan resulted in the flag, or whether we would have won it anyway.

Just like we'll never know whether the pig headed decision not to delay it cost us a second or not.

Transition plan -> flag.

It’s pretty simple - just because it doesn’t suit your narrative you can’t ignore the clear cause and effect.

Transition plan -> flag.

It’s pretty simple - just because it doesn’t suit your narrative you can’t ignore the clear cause and effect.
Nothing to do with my narrative - there is no proof. You're always asking others to justify their opinions with proof, links to articles, posts etc, you don't like it when its turned around back at you - that doesn't suit your narrative.

There is no proof - even you cant spin that.

He can extend the coaches contract in 2021 before he departs.

Somethings got to give - not sure we’re attracting decent FA with so much uncertainty at the top going into 2022.
If things are going poorly, hopefully Ed gets proactive in searching for a Coach well before the season ends.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back