Membership 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Not 100% rapt with that statement but it appears that the club is in dire straits financially and doesn't have much choice. Thanks members, but we are going to continue to take your money and your membership may be suspended if you defer payments!
I would have thought it would be quite obvious that if you stopped making payments then your membership would be cancelled?

So what could the club offer (other than normal merch) that those of us still employed could buy that would help the club and give us something to look forward to?

An experience of some sort maybe. A player mixer function? Massively discounted corporate box (they were mostly empty last year and businesses are going to be doing it tough so probably empty when it kicks off again)? Ten people at $100 each for the box might be doable but 2.5k isn’t. Access to the rooms post game - normally family etc but desperate times etc?

So what could the club offer (other than normal merch) that those of us still employed could buy that would help the club and give us something to look forward to?

An experience of some sort maybe. A player mixer function? Massively discounted corporate box (they were mostly empty last year and businesses are going to be doing it tough so probably empty when it kicks off again)? Ten people at $100 each for the box might be doable but 2.5k isn’t. Access to the rooms post game - normally family etc but desperate times etc?
I’d just like to buy a members polo for this year, but don’t know the new sizing.

As for the empty corporate boxes. Maybe the club could hold a raffle. All 2020 season memberships go in to a draw, and they fill the corporate boxes with winning memberships.

I’d just like to buy a members polo for this year, but don’t know the new sizing.

As for the empty corporate boxes. Maybe the club could hold a raffle. All 2020 season memberships go in to a draw, and they fill the corporate boxes with winning memberships.

Brilliant. They could draw them the day before the game therefore optimising sales and only drawing for empty ones.
I’d even buy a ticket in a raffle like that.

To be honest I'm not a big fan of the tone of the communication from the club.

The membership is a season ticket for 11 games. The implication that you should be happy to pay money to attend 0 games unless you're in a position of financial difficulty is a bit iffy.

I'll still do it because it's already budgeted for but there should be an option to remain a member of the club and also not pay full price to attend 0 games.

To be honest I'm not a big fan of the tone of the communication from the club.

The membership is a season ticket for 11 games. The implication that you should be happy to pay money to attend 0 games unless you're in a position of financial difficulty is a bit iffy.

I'll still do it because it's already budgeted for but there should be an option to remain a member of the club and also not pay full price to attend 0 games.
Pretty sure this would be an industry wide thing BRAB.

It is, and it's still dodgy.
My guess is most clubs are that desperate for any money, they’re willing to lose some members in the future to survive right now.

I also don’t like some of the things I’ve read that has been reported coming out of clubs.

If someone wants a refund. Just give it to them. If the season starts back up, then that person can buy a season ticket again, or a single game ticket.

My guess is most clubs are that desperate for any money, they’re willing to lose some members in the future to survive right now.

I also don’t like some of the things I’ve read that has been reported coming out of clubs.

If someone wants a refund. Just give it to them. If the season starts back up, then that person can buy a season ticket again, or a single game ticket.
A mate of mine along with 2 other members of his family are 11 game season Loyalty members paying by the month.
He rung up after the email last week. The club have come to the party and have suspended his payments for now, until the season starts up again.
Today was the cut off for any monthly subscription members wanting to do this.

Isn't that essentially a supporter membership? Gives you voting rights and member pack and can buy prioritised tickets but no game access.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming supporter memberships aren't as expensive as full memberships mate.
They're not but there's always the option to refund your membership and sign up with one of those instead if you're ticked off about the lack of games and/or are not in a position to sacrifice the full membership amount. I would guess the club would be happy to refund part of the membership cost if it means they can still get some money seeing how desperate the situation is currently.

They're not but there's always the option to refund your membership and sign up with one of those instead if you're ticked off about the lack of games and/or are not in a position to sacrifice the full membership amount. I would guess the club would be happy to refund part of the membership cost if it means they can still get some money seeing how desperate the situation is currently.

And we're back to the original point, which is the tone of the email implying that I had two options, and one of those options was only available to me if I was financially destitute.

Not sure what you're disagreeing with.

This is what i believe will/may happen if the season kicks off again in/around September 2020 through to early 2021 which i have previously stated is viable.
If the season starts earlier great but i don't think that should be the main aim.
The AFL season is halted, and the Clubs can't plan anything now, or promise members something they may be unable to deliver

Using my Brisbane 11 home game membership as an example
My paid up front membership amount was $385 or $35 for each home game.
Say we eventually play 8 home games that people are allowed to attend.
That is three home games i have paid for but could not attend due to obvious reasons.
$35 x 3 = $105. The Club should offer me $105 as a refund or a credit for the following season, at seasons end.
Same % refund/credit applies to all who pay and continue to pay by the month
They could even offer the credit on merchandising. A credit is much better for the Club than a refund.

In addition anyone who contacts the Club and insists on a refund they should either offer a credit or do the refund.
This is just good customer service practice.

The Club should explain that refunds would mean the membership has lapsed. The member will lose their seat number and membership status Bronze,Silver,Gold,Platinum as would normally be the case in a lapsed membership.

This is what i believe will/may happen if the season kicks off again in/around September 2020 through to early 2021 which i have previously stated is viable.
If the season starts earlier great but i don't think that should be the main aim.
The AFL season is halted, and the Clubs can't plan anything now, or promise members something they may be unable to deliver

Using my Brisbane 11 home game membership as an example
My paid up front membership amount was $385 or $35 for each home game.
Say we eventually play 8 home games that people are allowed to attend.
That is three home games i have paid for but could not attend due to obvious reasons.
$35 x 3 = $105. The Club should offer me $105 as a refund or a credit for the following season, at seasons end.
Same % refund/credit applies to all who pay and continue to pay by the month
They could even offer the credit on merchandising. A credit is much better for the Club than a refund.

In addition anyone who contacts the Club and insists on a refund they should either offer a credit or do the refund.
This is just good customer service practice.

The Club should explain that refunds would mean the membership has lapsed. The member will lose their seat number and membership status Bronze,Silver,Gold,Platinum as would normally be the case in a lapsed membership.
This makes the most sense to me as well, seems obvious that if the membership isn't paid it is no longer valid. Monthly payments can be started at any time though meaning people will often be paying different amounts per month depending on when they signed up, meaning over the 10 month payment period you could have one member getting less of a refund or merch credit than another for virtually the same product (or lack thereof).

This makes the most sense to me as well, seems obvious that if the membership isn't paid it is no longer valid. Monthly payments can be started at any time though meaning people will often be paying different amounts per month depending on when they signed up, meaning over the 10 month payment period you could have one member getting less of a refund or merch credit than another for virtually the same product (or lack thereof).
Most monthly payments should be completed by September.
Either way the refunds/credits only come after membership for the year is fully paid.

Credits are way better for the Club especially merchandise. Use credits to clear out old & new stock don't even have to make much or any profit.
Running the merchandising department at a loss for one year is the least of their problems
Not sure how vacant corporate boxes work but something could also be done in this area.
This is where your management/marketing/promotions should be earning their money if still employed.
Coming up with ways for the Club to keep as much of membership money as possible.

But more importantly the customer must be given some sort of choice.
No point in building up membership numbers and a good feeling about the Club and pulling it all down in one year

Really gone off TJ as a media head. He knew what Eddie was trying to say and also what he didn’t want to say.
Tried to get in a snipe shot at the end as well which Ed called him out on.

Eddie should of left it at speak to the club if you’re desperate but let himself down straying too far from the answer.

Still firmly on McGuires side here though.

Really gone off TJ as a media head. He knew what Eddie was trying to say and also what he didn’t want to say.
Tried to get in a snipe shot at the end as well which Ed called him out on.

Eddie should of left it at speak to the club if you’re desperate but let himself down straying too far from the answer.

Still firmly on McGuires side here though.
What this says to me is the difficulty Ed must have between playing club president or media personality. I didn't think he came away looking particularly good as either of them after that exchange.

Eddie seemed very aggressive I thought and he carried it over to Footy Classified with Caroline Wilson....having said that I can't stand Tony Jones either, he is always trying to get those headlines..

Thoughts?

Hard to disagree.

Let's be honest, Grand Finals in modern times are essentially attended by 60% "theatre goers" with each respective club only receiving 15% of the tickets each and the other 10% by genuine footy enthusiasts i.e. life members and AFL industry people. The common person that has a basic membership has no chance of seeing their team live in a GF unless they are making significant sacrifices and / or have the ability to access money to pay the exorbitant fees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back