Membership 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Well people have paid September membership in good faith. The club offered people paid. Offer and acceptance equals contract. If we make the GF I for one expect that is honored.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I sort of agree, as I posted in #643 if the allocation can't be fully provided for all September Members I hope it is not another random ballot like with the games so far this season where long term members missed out on tickets and other short term members got them, I understand that the logistics for this would have been difficult for the club.

I would be happy if the club gave preference to September Members who have been paying into this loyalty program the longest for Grand Final access, if I still missed out that would be fine with me under those circumstances, however if September Members who had only just taken out that option recently got GF tickets and I didn't I would be extremely unhappy with the club.

I sort of agree, as I posted in #643 if the allocation can't be fully provided for all September Members I hope it is not another random ballot like with the games so far this season where long term members missed out on tickets and other short term members got them, I understand that the logistics for this would have been difficult for the club.

I would be happy if the club gave preference to September Members who have been paying into this loyalty program the longest for Grand Final access, if I still missed out that would be fine with me under those circumstances, however if September Members who had only just taken out that option recently got GF tickets and I didn't I would be extremely unhappy with the club.

Can’t possibly go with a ballot. Particular members have paid good coin to be at the front of the queue, even if the GF was played at the gabba there will be enough seats under covid restrictions to accommodate those that have paid for September membership. There’s no justification to change that. The idea that diehard fans who have paid for September membership would make way to provide seats for corporates is abhorrent.

Can’t possibly go with a ballot. Particular members have paid good coin to be at the front of the queue, even if the GF was played at the gabba there will be enough seats under covid restrictions to accommodate those that have paid for September membership. There’s no justification to change that. The idea that diehard fans who have paid for September membership would make way to provide seats for corporates is abhorrent.

It's a bit more complex than that though. September membership is provided on the numbers of how many seats are available for members of competing grand final teams at the MCG. Naturally you would imagine that figure would have to reduce by roughly 60% due to the smaller size of the Gabba, meaning that if they could offer something like 6000 guaranteed seats at the MCG, it would make sense that 2000 would be the direct comparison in a smaller stadium. Worth keeping in mind too that finals and the grand final in particular are controlled and ticketed by the AFL not the clubs, and so the clubs would only get the allocation offered to them. It would not be the Lions giving seats to corporates instead of September members, it would be the AFL.

Then you have to add in the fact that we don't know where things will be with Covid by then - that figure is a best case scenario assuming full stadiums. In the more likely event that capacity is still reduced, that figure would have to come down again. So 2000 might become 700 or so in the current allowed capacity at the Gabba. I would imagine there are probably more than 700 people with September memberships, so the club would be in a bit of a bind if that eventuated. I don't know what they could really do - but certainly you would think that if you had bought a September membership and didn't get access to grand final tickets as promised in that membership, the club would refund you for that as they weren't able to offer the product they had sold.

As a SM from day dot, even if I'm from VIC and we happened to make the GF and it was in QLD I expect to have access to a GF ticket.

We won't be allowed. I've already mentally prepped myself for the idea of a Gabba Grand Final where I'll be prohibited from attending.

We won't be allowed. I've already mentally prepped myself for the idea of a Gabba Grand Final where I'll be prohibited from attending.

Yeah likewise. Nevertheless I would still expect to have priority access to a ticket. If I choose to purchase one or not would be my prerogative.

Yeah likewise. Nevertheless I would still expect to have priority access to a ticket. If I choose to purchase one or not would be my prerogative.

In circumstances I'd expect a raffle. Not ideal but if we have a granny at the Gabba probably gonna be a reality because all members are not getting a ticket, regardless of level.

Considering we are looking at a GF being played at a ground that has a third of the capacity of the MCG, I'm personally not "expecting" a guaranteed ticket. We could still be in a position where we are only allowed 10K to the GF, would we be expecting a guaranteed ticket then?

Circumstances have fundamentally changed.

Would be a blow to not be able to go to the only GF in our lifetimes that may be played at the gabba but it is what it is.

A LOT of ifs and buts involved in the various scenarios though so not giving it much thought myself yet.

Lots of water to pass under the bridge, obviously we have to make it yet which is still a long way off.

IMO if the Grand Final is not at the MCG it will be in Perth, 60,000 capacity would be too good to knock back, I haven't been to Perth since 1983 so it would be great to get back there and watch our victory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO if the Grand Final is not at the MCG it will be in Perth, 60,000 capacity would be too good to knock back, I haven't been to Perth since 1983 so it would be great to get back there and watch our victory.

Hard to say no to Optus. 60k that would be full regardless but I think Annastasia might have actually done the leg work here. Gabba getting renovations in October just seems too perfect otherwise.

Considering we are looking at a GF being played at a ground that has a third of the capacity of the MCG, I'm personally not "expecting" a guaranteed ticket. We could still be in a position where we are only allowed 10K to the GF, would we be expecting a guaranteed ticket then?

Circumstances have fundamentally changed.

Would be a blow to not be able to go to the only GF in our lifetimes that may be played at the gabba but it is what it is.

A LOT of ifs and buts involved in the various scenarios though so not giving it much thought myself yet.

Lots of water to pass under the bridge, obviously we have to make it yet which is still a long way off.

If it was 10,000 max attendance and 3,000 of them were allocated to Lions members then yes, I would expect to have access to purchase one being a founding September Member.

If it was 10,000 max attendance and 3,000 of them were allocated to Lions members then yes, I would expect to have access to purchase one being a founding September Member.

It's a pandemic. I think you'll have to lower your expectations or you could potentially end up very disappointed.

When I read over the terms and conditions for the September membership, I didn't see anything about consecutive years with the membership being weighted higher, so you might be out of luck there.

It's a pandemic. I think you'll have to lower your expectations or you could potentially end up very disappointed.

When I read over the terms and conditions for the September membership, I didn't see anything about consecutive years with the membership being weighted higher, so you might be out of luck there.

All I'm suggesting is that if it comes to that then SM should be given preference, at least those that have been a SM for every year since its inception. If that number exceeds club allocation then it would certainly become far more complex.

I hope I end up very disappointed ;)

I doubt the GF will be at the Gabba but it is a strange year.
Below is part of 2019 basic ticket allocation from the AFL
Allowing for say 40,000 capacity at the Gabba it is probably less but not 42,000 as listed officially.

You can assume the following on a % basis
No 1 Competing Club Members 6,400 to 16,000
No 7 Competing Clubs............ Zero

B. TICKET ALLOCATION
The capacity of the MCG will be approximately 100,000 on Grand Final Day.
In answer to guidelines (a), (b) and (c) the AFL proposes that tickets to the 2019 AFL Grand Final be allocated in approximately the following manner:

1. Competing Club Members.................... 16,000 - 40,000
2. AFL Clubs (18)................................... 0 - 7,000
3. MCC Reserve..................................... 16,000 - 26,000
4. AFL Members..................................... 13,000 - 23,000
5. AFL/Medallion Club Members................ 3,000 - 5,000
6. AFL Entitlements/Contractual Obligations 5,000 - 30,000
7. Competing Clubs.................................. 0 - 5,000

Total 100,000 (approx)

Well people have paid September membership in good faith. The club offered people paid. Offer and acceptance equals contract. If we make the GF I for one expect that is honored.

Current conditions will scrap any previous offer. Wont have a leg to stand on, and if everyone had the same stance as you then people would be wanting the club to do something that is literally not possible.

What the solution to that is im not sure. Much like memberships, perhaps refunds will be offered. Doesn't become an issue until the club makes the grand final and / or the grand final is at the MCG, and even if it does does it have a crowd.

There are so many contracts and agreements with the GF being at the MCG, it will take a lot for it to be moved i think.

Current conditions will scrap any previous offer. Wont have a leg to stand on, and if everyone had the same stance as you then people would be wanting the club to do something that is literally not possible.

What the solution to that is im not sure. Much like memberships, perhaps refunds will be offered. Doesn't become an issue until the club makes the grand final and / or the grand final is at the MCG, and even if it does does it have a crowd.

There are so many contracts and agreements with the GF being at the MCG, it will take a lot for it to be moved i think.
COVID will be keeping some lawyers in paid work dusting off their force majeure and contracts frustration precedents.

Did an email get sent out for information on getting tickets to Saturday's game? Very disappointed to log onto the membership portal today and find that Saturday's ballot closed on Monday. I swear an email prompted me to enter the ballot for the last home game... I've been checking my emails every morning for the past week and have received nothing. Really disappointing to miss out tbh. Especially as a pledged member...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back