Opinion Membership Base v Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

My concern with gaining supporters on the back of flags is that they usually drop off once the flags dry up. This is true for every supporter base, in every game, anywhere in the world. When it comes to big clubs who can absorb the ebbs and flows, it's merely a bonus to have a bit of extra support. For us to build a club on the back of instant success, as opposed to an ingrained cultural following, could be fraught with danger.

In practical reality, it's not as if the club wouldn't love the additional memberships on the back of winning a flag. A proportion of members/supporters whom decide to jump upon the bandwagon when we're up, will continue to follow the club once it drops down back to the pack. However, even if winning a flag helps the club's end game; attracting supporters - it'd be more desirable to have less supporters with a higher concentration of the right supporters. The club would be working towards this independently from its on-field objectives.

The thing to remember is that GWS is a long-term business venture for the AFL. The reality is our club has been created as an initiative to grow the game. We were not formed on the basis of being from an organic growth market which demanded a club in its own right (a la West/South Aussie clubs), we were created and tasked to literally plant the seeds of growth in an inhospitable land.

We're the hydrponic farmers of the AFL, while Victoria (and SA/WA) is the land of the fertile crops, albeit with way too many farmers fighting for a slice of territory. We can still be successful, but it just means that our methodology has to be more targeted and specific than the heartland if we're to attract and retain and a solid supporter base.

Personally, and if we're talking hypothetically, I would forgo success for a little while if it were the choice between winning a flag and long-term sustainability. While I appreciate expatriates choosing GWS as their "second club" helping the club in its foundations, I really do hope that my generation get behind GWS because, as a Western Sydney resident, the club and its values resonates on a personal and emotive level.

With the population of the GWS region, the flow on effects of first generation GWS supporters' having children could be massive for the club if it plays its cards right. Battling against half a dozen NRL teams and the Wanderers will be the challenge. Instant success will help, sustained success will be a massive bonus, but sustainability on the back of continual community engagement initiative including running clinics and conducting school visits will be paramount. I'm bullish, but I believe the club can and will achieve both.
Interesting, and great post.
I notice you and Ellie have a common theme of think global act local kind of thing. The individual.contacts in the community. Might be a female thing, maybe its just insight. I get how the club interracts with schools junior leagues etc makes a real impact but will probably never be measurable in terms of members

My concern with gaining supporters on the back of flags is that they usually drop off once the flags dry up. This is true for every supporter base, in every game, anywhere in the world. When it comes to big clubs who can absorb the ebbs and flows, it's merely a bonus to have a bit of extra support. For us to build a club on the back of instant success, as opposed to an ingrained cultural following, could be fraught with danger.

Personally, and if we're talking hypothetically, I would forgo success for a little while if it were the choice between winning a flag and long-term sustainability. While I appreciate expatriates choosing GWS as their "second club" helping the club in its foundations, I really do hope that my generation get behind GWS because, as a Western Sydney resident, the club and its values resonates on a personal and emotive level.

With the population of the GWS region, the flow on effects of first generation GWS supporters' having children could be massive for the club if it plays its cards right. Battling against half a dozen NRL teams and the Wanderers will be the challenge. Instant success will help, sustained success will be a massive bonus, but sustainability on the back of continual community engagement initiative including running clinics and conducting school visits will be paramount. I'm bullish, but I believe the club can and will achieve both.
Great post there Giant Heart, and similar to Ellie's in that broader thought.:thumbsu:
The question is always around how to grow that rusted on fan base - can you do it without success or do you need success to do it? Well, in traditional areas you can thrive without instant success (or even medium-term success - look at Fremantle) as you have a great number of fans of the game who will watch matches regardless. In non-traditional areas, it's obviously much harder. But you're right in that even with success the fanbase is likely to drop off as success wanes - just need to look at Brisbane Lions to see an example of that.

Aiming for that generational build, via community outreach programs, is correct & will work over time - adding some success I think is required to bump it along. For example, my family joined the club because our son was at an age of getting into Auskick around 2010 when GWS were entering the scene and running the clinics in western Sydney (had never seen anyone associated with Swans). I was happy to do so because of that emotional link to being 'the local club'. But, we do need to see some improvement in on field outcomes to keep us coming back year after year (at least to start with - couldn't do 20 years of 2012-2013 over and over!) Hopefully that locks the 3 of us in for life now, and grandkids in the future.

So I agree with your argument, but would just opine that an ongoing lack of success would likely drive a decline in core membership. So there does need to be a positive balance in terms of success to hold people interested. It's much different to the traditional states, and from discussion of Brisbane's plight (as well as ours & Gold Coast), it's obvious that the majority of BF posters from traditional states neither understand nor care.

Great post there Giant Heart, and similar to Ellie's in that broader thought.:thumbsu:
The question is always around how to grow that rusted on fan base - can you do it without success or do you need success to do it? Well, in traditional areas you can thrive without instant success (or even medium-term success - look at Fremantle) as you have a great number of fans of the game who will watch matches regardless. In non-traditional areas, it's obviously much harder. But you're right in that even with success the fanbase is likely to drop off as success wanes - just need to look at Brisbane Lions to see an example of that.

Aiming for that generational build, via community outreach programs, is correct & will work over time - adding some success I think is required to bump it along. For example, my family joined the club because our son was at an age of getting into Auskick around 2010 when GWS were entering the scene and running the clinics in western Sydney (had never seen anyone associated with Swans). I was happy to do so because of that emotional link to being 'the local club'. But, we do need to see some improvement in on field outcomes to keep us coming back year after year (at least to start with - couldn't do 20 years of 2012-2013 over and over!) Hopefully that locks the 3 of us in for life now, and grandkids in the future.

So I agree with your argument, but would just opine that an ongoing lack of success would likely drive a decline in core membership. So there does need to be a positive balance in terms of success to hold people interested. It's much different to the traditional states, and from discussion of Brisbane's plight (as well as ours & Gold Coast), it's obvious that the majority of BF posters from traditional states neither understand nor care.
Just one I thing, I actually dont think this subject is any other clubs problem except ours. There is empathy out there but it's what happens within that will define the future.
Otherwise agree entirely. When we have a poster of the comp you'ĺl get some stored votes I'm sure.

Just one I thing, I actually dont think this subject is any other clubs problem except ours. There is empathy out there but it's what happens within that will define the future.
Otherwise agree entirely. When we have a poster of the comp you'ĺl get some stored votes I'm sure.
Thanks Wampeter, and I agree that it's an issue with respect to our club that it's ours to own and solve. The point I guess I was trying to make is that others outside the club don't understand the points of difference to their situation, and constantly throwing rocks and undermining the club's efforts to be successful is short-sighted and, for me at least, tiresome.

Thanks Wampeter, and I agree that it's an issue with respect to our club that it's ours to own and solve. The point I guess I was trying to make is that others outside the club don't understand the points of difference to their situation, and constantly throwing rocks and undermining the club's efforts to be successful is short-sighted and, for me at least, tiresome.
Annoys me no end as well, just not sure it matters.
On second thought it does if it costs us the Riverina academy becuase of whinging.

One thing we don't have, and won't for some time, is the traditional support that many VFL Clubs (including the Swans and Brisbane through Fitzroy) have because someone in the last 150 years started supporting the Club, and their kids did, and their kids and so on.

We will get growth with success. This year shows that. A Premiership will boost growth again. However I don't know if we have reached whatever will be seen as a minimum safety net if we have a crash and people jump off the bandwagon.

Our membership goal is not just to grow, but to convert the casual and bandwagon to a rusted on. There's no point if we have 20,000 members but half only go to three games, one being the Swans game.

The more we convert to being genuine members who attend games when they can, the better base we have in the lean years.

And let's not forget that our membership is a long term project. While many of us on the Board are doing the right thing and indoctrinating our kids in the one true team, we're all really first generation supporters. In 20 years time, Master Noodle-Aquitaine, the Junior Bogans Junior, Little Misses Dlanod, Giant and SimmoFreo will be laying the groundwork for the next generation to take up membership.
Here here :)

My 3 month old daughter is a giants member already. That's what it's all about

On HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Been there I think for every game, parking is an issue, but not big, we stay at East hotel so not an issue at all.

For us the problem is when you walk in the gates, from there on;
Woeful seating in many areas, including temporary stands that have been in for 10 years.
Woefully inadequate toilet facilities for women and men, I'd never seen a 50m queue for the Mens loos till I went to Manuka
Poorly run and spaced food outlets
Lack of choice for food
Leaving your seat for anything means losing track of the game, completely the opposite of Spotless
Lack of shelter for 80% of the crowd
Incredibly poorly dubbed version of the team song
Entry points that only make sense if you desire to get an explorers badge with your footy
Getting searched for bombs on entry
Venue staff with as little as humanly possibly knowledge of the arena and pretty much inadequate for any purpose beyond looking official
Lack of public transit option of any meaningful substance
Zero fan engagement areas

Basically, not a fan.
I've never been to Manuka. I've planned to but for one reason or another it hasn't happened. AO in round 1 is less of a worry because I have connections there and know my way around.Looking forward to that.
I have seat with the ultimate package and would really like to see all the games. I think the Melbourne game will be a good contest, seeing Port get a whooping always gladdens my heart and the Bulldogs game is well, the Bulldogs game.
Your post doesnt make me feel good about going, but better to know than be unpleasantly surprised. I generally have a coffee or two at most at the ground anyway, occasionally a drink. I have to plan leave early and already have a week off for round 1 and the Friday for the Bulkdogs game.
If there is a bus to the ground that would work but a Cab would too.
Has anyone taken the club bus? I can see it would be good for timing, :cool: Just not sure I want spend two four trips on a bus with a mob of (us) Westies.
Plane could work but airports are a hassle. I'm guessing the train marries with the bus to the ground? That might be the way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back