Borgan

THE BEAST
Mar 20, 2014
Wollongong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
New York Kicks
Is the only way to get a nomal ticket for the grand final is to be a club member? I'm an SCG member so I haven't gotten a swans membership in a couple of years.

Is the only way to get a nomal ticket for the grand final is to be a club member? I'm an SCG member so I haven't gotten a swans membership in a couple of years.
Unfortunately yes, I had the same issue in 2012 (interstate membership gives stuff all eligibility). I was very fortunate to get a ticket from someone on these forums and made the trip across

PaulRoos

All Australian
Mar 12, 2007
Down South - WA
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Diorites- Sth Freo - Wolves
I'm one of em.

Coincidence or what ? Put these number plates on my 4B 10 weeks ago, we haven't lost a game since.

Thanks Swans, you make me so happy and as always, very proud. :)

I'm one of em.

Coincidence or what ? Put these number plates on my 4B 10 weeks ago, we haven't lost a game since.

Thanks Swans, you make me so happy and as always, very proud. :)

I bought a South Melbourne Stein glass and we haven't lost yet. I'm dubbing it the Lucky Stein :p

Also helped NSW win the State of Origin ;)

PaulRoos

All Australian
Mar 12, 2007
Down South - WA
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Diorites- Sth Freo - Wolves
I bought a South Melbourne Stein glass and we haven't lost yet. I'm dubbing it the Lucky Stein :p

Go the Blues !

Might even frame the plates in Red'n'White surrounds/frames ... might even allow us to go unbeaten from here on.

No pressure mind, thinking we can do it and I'm not a believer than you have to lose a game before finals ... that's just bullshit !

My sister spat out her first kid in early May, was signed up pre-birth. Poor little fella doesn't know what a loss feels like.

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!
Still a great figure, can not be understated enough that with 9,600ish Victorian members this means in Sydney we have 29,600ish members in the harbour city.

So it shows it is pretty much a myth about Sydney crowds being low when we aren't winning.

We often exceed 80-90% of members regularly attending games in the city they live in and never dropping below 50% of member attendance.

Obviously we can't expect our victorian members to attend games every fortnight the same as Sydney fans can't be expected to travel to Victoria 5-6 games a year.

Our members show up (more often) in a far greater percentage then most Melbourne based clubs.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
Still a great figure, can not be understated enough that with 9,600ish Victorian members this means in Sydney we have 29,600ish members in the harbour city.

So it shows it is pretty much a myth about Sydney crowds being low when we aren't winning.

We often exceed 80-90% of members regularly attending games in the city they live in and never dropping below 50% of member attendance.

Obviously we can't expect our victorian members to attend games every fortnight the same as Sydney fans can't be expected to travel to Victoria 5-6 games a year.

Our members show up (more often) in a far greater percentage then most Melbourne based clubs.

I've noticed for a long time now how well the members turn up to poor weather/ladder position games. Seems you can generally count on 22-24k to turn up regardless of conditions these days. Pretty remarkable considering NRL and A-League memberships/crowds by comparison in NSW.

Most other clubs in the state have memberships under 15k. And half a dozen League clubs are sub 8k. The Swans are definitely doing something right.

Sydney fans are no longer fair weather fans (if they ever were).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sportsfan7

All Australian
Aug 9, 2001
Sydney & Geelong
AFL Club
Sydney
Wait for finals time bump when membership is needed for seating...
They'll be too late. Official Membership numbers (and finals eligibility) cut off in early July.

Though for Homebush finals the cutoff always gets waived (plenty of seats) but applied very strictly for the GF. The Official numbers also determine the seat allocation split between the opposing teams.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
They'll be too late. Official Membership numbers (and finals eligibility) cut off in early July.

Though for Homebush finals the cutoff always gets waived (plenty of seats) but applied very strictly for the GF. The Official numbers also determine the seat allocation split between the opposing teams.

The more you know...

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Unfortunately yes, I had the same issue in 2012 (interstate membership gives stuff all eligibility). I was very fortunate to get a ticket from someone on these forums and made the trip across
Do you remember which member it was? I can't. Coming over again this year if we make it?

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
39,259 now

I'm curious to know how many are three-game members as they rank behind full club members as far as entitlements to grand final tickets go. I suspect the split for full club members is something like 22,000 Sydney - 10,000 Melbourne, based on average crowds this year.

Do you remember which member it was? I can't. Coming over again this year if we make it?
If I can somehow get a ticket I will be there, no matter how much the flights cost!

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!
I'm curious to know how many are three-game members as they rank behind full club members as far as entitlements to grand final tickets go. I suspect the split for full club members is something like 22,000 Sydney - 10,000 Melbourne, based on average crowds this year.

well you know who had us run numbers on the swans all last week data miners came up with figures which i can't list but let's say in the ball park of:
our estimates place the swans vic members between 9,600-9,900.
3 game memberships accounting for between 25-30% of Sydney's NSW based members (around 7250-8700), with nearly 50% of 3 game memberships coming from either the central coast or wollongong areas rather then Sydney itself.

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Just something to consider for supporters from outside of NSW and Victoria...

A Victorian Swans membership will cost you around 150 dollars and will give you a really good chance of securing a GF ticket should we make it. And an even better chance if you pay a little more for a guaranteed membership.

You also get free access to all the away games in Melbourne and also 3 games in Sydney throughout the year, so if you plan on attending a couple of games it could be well worth paying a little extra for a good chance at a GF ticket.

sportsfan7

All Australian
Aug 9, 2001
Sydney & Geelong
AFL Club
Sydney

A correction to the above (after Googling)...

"The AFL membership cut off date is 31 July 2014. Any membership purchased after 5 pm on this date will not be eligible to access finals tickets, and will not be included in the official 2014 total membership tally."

The 2015 membership prices have been announced, and there has been a 70% increase in the cost of a WA membership. It is now MORE expensive than a Victorian Gold Membership, here's a comparison of the benefits so you can judge if this is reasonable:

Vic Gold Membership - $165
Entry to all Melbourne games
Entry to 3 SCG/ANZ games
Priority access to finals tickets
Ability to purchase Premiership Club upgrade for guaranteed Grand Final ticket

WA Membership - $170
Entry to 1 WA game, ballot for 1 WA game (no refund or reduction if unsuccessful in ballot)
Entry to 1 Melbourne game
Entry to 1 SCG/ANZ game
No priority access to finals tickets
No ability to purchase Premiership Club upgrade for guaranteed Grand Final ticket

I personally know 5 WA-based Swans supporters who will not be renewing their memberships for this year because of this. They're students, where a 70% increase is very significant. A number of them have contacted the club and received frankly pathetic responses. The WA Swans Supporters group on Facebook also has many messages from people who are angry.

I'm fully expecting this to be met with a wave of "who cares" from the people in Victoria, but we're a loyal bunch over here - frequently raising thousands of dollars for the club, and with very large and vocal numbers at the WA games for the past few years. A lot of us are unimpressed with the club's treatment.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back