Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
The 2015 membership prices have been announced, and there has been a 70% increase in the cost of a WA membership. It is now MORE expensive than a Victorian Gold Membership, here's a comparison of the benefits so you can judge if this is reasonable:

Vic Gold Membership - $165
Entry to all Melbourne games
Entry to 3 SCG/ANZ games
Priority access to finals tickets
Ability to purchase Premiership Club upgrade for guaranteed Grand Final ticket

WA Membership - $170
Entry to 1 WA game, ballot for 1 WA game (no refund or reduction if unsuccessful in ballot)
Entry to 1 Melbourne game
Entry to 1 SCG/ANZ game
No priority access to finals tickets
No ability to purchase Premiership Club upgrade for guaranteed Grand Final ticket

I personally know 5 WA-based Swans supporters who will not be renewing their memberships for this year because of this. They're students, where a 70% increase is very significant. A number of them have contacted the club and received frankly pathetic responses. The WA Swans Supporters group on Facebook also has many messages from people who are angry.

I'm fully expecting this to be met with a wave of "who cares" from the people in Victoria, but we're a loyal bunch over here - frequently raising thousands of dollars for the club, and with very large and vocal numbers at the WA games for the past few years. A lot of us are unimpressed with the club's treatment.

Just as a matter of interest comparing some of the s**t I have heard trotted out over the years, what was the response ?

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
The 2015 membership prices have been announced, and there has been a 70% increase in the cost of a WA membership. It is now MORE expensive than a Victorian Gold Membership, here's a comparison of the benefits so you can judge if this is reasonable:

Entry to 3 SCG/ANZ games

WA Membership - $170
Entry to 1 WA game, ballot for 1 WA game (no refund or reduction if unsuccessful in ballot)
Entry to 1 SCG/ANZ game
No ability to purchase Premiership Club upgrade for guaranteed Grand Final ticket

I personally know 5 WA-based Swans supporters who will not be renewing their memberships for this year because of this. They're students, where a 70% increase is very significant. A number of them have contacted the club and received frankly pathetic responses. The WA Swans Supporters group on Facebook also has many messages from people who are angry.

I'm fully expecting this to be met with a wave of "who cares" from the people in Victoria, but we're a loyal bunch over here - frequently raising thousands of dollars for the club, and with very large and vocal numbers at the WA games for the past few years. A lot of us are unimpressed with the club's treatment.

I don't think anyone could say other than this is a disgrace.

Yep, pretty filthy at the club. Obviously trying to make some money after an amazing few years run, a few Grand Finals and all, who can blame them really.

I'm an SA member so don't get a Hat, don't get priority access to finals tickets and get 3 games (1 SA, 1 NSW & 1 VIC) for $120. If I lived in Tassie I could get the Cap, Priority finals access and an extra game for $5 less... WTF?

I think they were hoping to have a similar Essendon-like support from the fans after being bent over by the AFL. Their fans initially really got behind the club and Hird (I think there's a bit of a backlash now speaking to Dons fans I know)... I reckon the club was banking on the high "we'll do anything for the club" sentiment post trade ban. To be fair to the club, I think they know what they are doing... I'll be one overpaying for my membership yet again because I love the club and place a high threshold value on the membership price I'd be willing to pay.

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

Entry to 3 SCG/ANZ games

WA Membership - $170
Entry to 1 SCG/ANZ game

Do we get entry to both wa games with membership this season I haven't had a look at it all yet.

Do we get entry to both wa games with membership this season I haven't had a look at it all yet.
You get entry to one, and a chance of winning a ballot to get into the other one.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Last time I checked, the Swans WA membership allotment kept on being sold out. I see this as a way of expanding the amount of members the club has in WA while still giving everyone access to at least one game (trouble with that will be if 2016 sees just the one game in WA). Thus I can understand the entry to 1 game and access to a ballot for the other game per membership system for 2015.

That being said I can't see why the price has to rise that much despite the prospect of an extra game if successful in the ballot and the fact memberships in WA gets you a Reserve Seat rather than General Admission (which is what Victorians get). Yes raise it by the cost of the extra ticket if thats included for everyone and drop it down if it isn't each year (and raise the base package with inflation) but not by that much.

]I'm an SA member so don't get a Hat, don't get priority access to finals tickets and get 3 games (1 SA, 1 NSW & 1 VIC) for $120. If I lived in Tassie I could get the Cap, Priority finals access and an extra game for $5 less... WTF?

Yeah was pretty shocked with how good us Tassie folk got it, price didn't even rise I don't think for us.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I think clubs tend to view interstate and (to a lesser degree) country memberships as effectively donations to the club.

Members might get one or two games in their state yet the cost of the package comes with a price tag that is unjustifiable for the benefits it produces
Presumably the stated reason would be along the lines that it enables you to be 'part of the club'.

The system won't change unless people do start cancelling memberships.

I think clubs tend to view interstate and (to a lesser degree) country memberships as effectively donations to the club.

Members might get one or two games in their state yet the cost of the package comes with a price tag that is unjustifiable for the benefits it produces
Presumably the stated reason would be along the lines that it enables you to be 'part of the club'.

The system won't change unless people do start cancelling memberships.
True. International membership is $80 just to be a supporter, and $185 if you want to be at the GF.

I bought a red 3 at $115 instead, in case i'm passing through Sydney at some stage, because if i'm going to donate, i may as well have a slim chance of making a game (didn't make it to any this year :( ).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sanecow

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
That's total s**t. I dropped my WA membership the year they stopped allowing members to buy a second ticket. I bought tickets from the Eagles' members resale. It was slightly awkward being surrounded by Eagles members but good lolz when they started walking out. I think they are trying to make sure those tickets go to Eagles supporters now though, based on: http://www.wcemembership.com.au/basic-page/buying-tickets-through-seat-resale-program so that's a bit of a downer. Not sure if the Fremantle members resold tickets are available to the general public.

Just as a matter of interest comparing some of the s**t I have heard trotted out over the years, what was the response ?
Hi Wolfgang, sorry for forgetting to reply earlier. Everyone gets the same copy and paste response regardless of their question:

Automated Response said:
We do understand our loyal members in WA are facing a significant increase in cost of membership for 2015. The price of membership is also reflective of ticket prices. As you may know, ticket prices at Paterson’s stadium are one of the highest in the league.
The process is still being finalised however we can confirm that those who are unsuccessful in the ballot will not be provided with a ...subsidisation or reimbursement of their membership. Similar to members who miss out on a Grand Final ticket via the ballot are not provided any reimbursement.
At this stage, members will be provided with an option to select their preferred match and Club will begin to allocate tickets based on this response. However as stated this process is not finalised and members will receive correspondence prior to the season commencing once all details have been confirmed.
The WA Interstate Supporter Membership is a very high demand membership and we have introduced the ballot system to be able to provide more WA members with the opportunity to attend these matches.
If you have any further enquiries, please don’t hesitate to contact our Melbourne office on 1300 663 819.
Kind regards,
Nathan

PaulRoos

All Australian
Mar 12, 2007
Down South - WA
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Diorites- Sth Freo - Wolves
Are they (SFC) trying to worm out the not so financial Members, have them drop their membership so others on the waiting list can gain WA Membership ?

I'll be paying up for my membership as many others will. Not over the moon about the increase in price but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Onya swansfan for highlighting the topic and getting some frank discussion about it.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
They just put some crap up on FB about how good the membership is, I replied a couple of times and got no answer, but some flog who had lets his go , got a reply and I even mentioned the Perth one

I saw that and I wholeheartedly agree with the substance of what you wrote, but you have to remember the Facebook page is largely a marketing tool, they do still have to sell memberships.

Last edited:

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Wouldn't read into it too much, it was just a puff piece to encourage people to sign up, my guess it was a marketing person who replied. As you said before in another thread (I think) the best way is probably to keep calling and emailing them.

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Hey guys I have a Q.

I'm buying a Red 3 and when I was about to check out it said this:

Red 3
Please note: Additional fees & charges may apply. Entry is subject to capacity & may not be guaranteed.
Hide Events
FIN01G
Sat, 31 Oct 2015 8:00 PM || -
FIN02G
FIN03G
FIN04G
FIN05G
HANZ01G
HANZ02G
HANZ03G
HSCG01G
HSCG02G
HSCG03G
HSCG04G
HSCG05G
HSCG06G
HSCG07G
HSCG08G
NAB01G
NAB02G
NAB03G
NAB04G
XHOME01G
XHOME02G

What exactly does this mean?

RW

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
I think all red zone and red 3 members have the message about entry being subject to capacity, since you don't have a reserved seat. There was only one game this season where this was an issue and that was the Port game. If you get there early enough you won't have a problem. Don't worry about it.

The 'additional fees' is probably just the cost to upgrade to a reserved seat for an individual match if you wanted to.

No idea what the other stuff under 'Hide Events' means but I would say it can be safely ignored.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back