Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

I think to do so, you will need to change the way Sydney thinks. They talk Rugby League day in and day out, but no-one I know is a member, even those who go to games regularly. They rose up in their droves to save South Sydney, raised millions, and they only have 28,895 members.
Having grown up with a league background and town (newcastle) and transitioned to afl during high school, I've had tonnes of conversations and pub arguments surrounding this. I just think it purely comes down to the whole TV v live sport discussion. League games are lifeless and even hardcore league fans will tell you this. This translates to lack of memberships. The obvious competition in the Sydney market between league clubs doesn't help either.

Its definitely an ongoing conversation/argument between afl and nrl though.

Would like to become the biggest club in Australia, some in media believe we have 1,000,000 supporters and are the biggest fan base. If we could get over 100,000 paying supporters the VFL boffins in charge might think twice before our next trade ban for doing nothing wrong.

Well we're nearly there, only 40,000 to go

Having grown up with a league background and town (newcastle) and transitioned to afl during high school, I've had tonnes of conversations and pub arguments surrounding this. I just think it purely comes down to the whole TV v live sport discussion. League games are lifeless and even hardcore league fans will tell you this. This translates to lack of memberships. The obvious competition in the Sydney market between league clubs doesn't help either.

Its definitely an ongoing conversation/argument between afl and nrl though.
Maybe, but no-one I know is a member, unless membership is included with the membership of an affiliated club. It just doesn't occur to them, regardless of what sport they follow.

Bump

Anyone know any recent figures? saw some table that said we are only at 40k.. This time last year were at 52k.

Bump

Anyone know any recent figures? saw some table that said we are only at 40k.. This time last year were at 52k.
There’s nothing on our page MP, which makes me confused, as someone over on the main membership thread posted 45k and quoted our website as their source.

anyone know anything about the geelong game? someone said ticketmaster have members tickets on sale tomorrow, but it never gave me an option to add on the geelong game...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is great number given it's 2020
membership number of 48,322 compared to 2019 61, 671 members
#ProudlySydney

This is great number given it's 2020
membership number of 48,322 compared to 2019 61, 671 members
#ProudlySydney

We had second biggest % drop off

I am pretty sure the membership tally includes people buying multiple 3 game passes/ membership, and clearly with little football in Sydney, this would be expected to drop away.
It does (also I think includes pet memberships... ) and would explain why the likes of the WA and Queensland teams had increases in membership numbers. They could play a fair amount of football at home. In saying that Adelaide's numbers were down but they were wooden spoon favourites from early on. Sydney and Melbourne both had big drops which could aligns a little with their ladder position from 2019.

Even big clubs like the Pies suffered a 10% drop in member numbers.

Test will be whether Sydney can bounce back to the 60K mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back