Roast Memo to Pyke: time to put a line through DMac and VB

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think i'm serious about that? I did forget to add a smiley, but i thought "I just can't think of another reason" bit would have given it away.....
No emoticon ....so i can only take peoples posts as face value .....it appeared to be a serious comment ;)

s**t, this could be interesting!
ZqNdgK-x7kLUSm_wulFnRBxfX4N5iHDc30_wtpRl1iTPQBQWoJL0G5vN_czMVr3Lt4mq9a-gKJVb2wVOYk4=w400-h305-nc

Mackays position tends to attract whipping boys, players who have been useless, one even won a B and F in Matt Connell, then we have had James theissen, Clay Sampson, Simon Tregenza. It's a pretty harsh position
Simon Tregenza was a gun!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be interested to see a break-down of Mackay's games against the worst teams in the comp ... and compare it with games against the good ones.

He is a massive downhill skier. Massive.

Well, I have some spare time and am curious too.

7883d1d5c48a7efe781c1b127358e7e7.png

Basic stats from every game, inc. DE%

6789d73e9a2ad3a2fe832a8d56f4bd89.png

Advanced Stats from every game

Therefore, in every stat Footywire produces, Mackay net gain/loss when facing a team in the top 8 is:

0a6bda8d7ad01ac49a22d0ea7ca94dfb.png

This is calculated by: ave. match against good team for stat - ave. match against bad team for stat. As a note +ve numbers indicate Mackay improves in this facet of the game against the top 8 teams, whereas -ve means Mackay is better in this facet against bottom teams

Percentage is calculated by: (ave. match against good team for stat/ave. match against bad team for stat)/100-100. This gives a value of a +ve for if Mackay improved (though not always the case) in a certain facet of the game when faced against a good team compared to bad.

As a note, GA and I50% does appear for both basic and advanced stats for footywires game section.

Now what the hell does all this mean, well for the most part, Mackay sees a slight decrease in most stats when facing a good team (15% less disposals, 22% less effective disposals etc). This is arguably what you'd expect from any player with the step up of quality.

There are a couple of interesting ones though. Mackay actually increase his tackling output by 64% when facing a good side, compared to the bad. Not bad for someone who soaking wet would just sneak into the fly weight division. More interestingly is his 1% output drops by close to the same mark, so arguably his work rate is consistent but how he impacts the game defensively changes due to the level of opposition. This also makes sense thinking about it as it's easier to rack up tackles when the opposition has the ball, compared to us.

On a more positive note, Mackay does average 15.79% less clangers, 2.2% more inside 50s as well as very surprisingly 3.7% more clearances when against top 8 sides compared to bottom sides. The other side of that argument though is that there is a 73.33% decrease in goal assists, 33.33% decrease in bounces, 24.14% decrease in uncontested possessions and a 66.67% increase in frees against when he comes up against good sides. Unfortunately for Mackay, the first three are generally key parts for what an outside midfielder is judged on.

It's also worth noting he regularly will get an overall 8.42% less time on ground when facing a good side, and has a drop of DE% by ~3%.

All in all, as an offensive player he's getting heavily shut down at the parts of the game that he is being selected for when facing a good side, however, i'm hesitant to label him a downhill skiier from this. In terms of his inside game, he's quite consistent regardless who he does face (every kpi for an inside midfielder Mackay is varying by at most +- 10%), Outside game it drops heavily which is very problematic.

Now for one more little statistical question, Mackay when we win vs Mackay when we lose.

ddd3bbadae0b295c44808980e6fb9688.png

Basic stats for every game.

c2597e2794dbec9b002c4cf5bba6af73.png

Advanced Stats for every game.

Net gain/Percentage gain for Mackay in a win.
3d6f20a7e91d03ee353252bd7ad846cd.png

By memory he went off injured against the Dogs which does skew these stats a bit, but he still did have a 57% TOG by the point he was. Seeing we've only lost 3 games with Mackay in the side, it may be a big enough factor if he did go off injured to justify a per-minute stat. That'll be tomorrow (if ever) thing though.

In terms of those numbers, the net stat is: average stat per win - average stat per loss, and the percentage is (average stat per win/average stat per loss)*100-100 as i wanted to use the loss numbers as the base.

For that though, everything bar tackles and goals increased quite heavily. It's also worth noting we've won every game that Mackay has earned a FF, taken a contested mark, marked the ball inside 50 and kicked a behind (A nice obscure stat for Drugs Are Bad Mackay?). You could potentially say from this that Mackay does ski a bit, but this could be potentially skewed by injury.

All in all i'd argue he isn't a downhill skiier; more a player that tries hard, but isn't good enough.

Well, I have some spare time and am curious too.

7883d1d5c48a7efe781c1b127358e7e7.png

Basic stats from every game, inc. DE%

6789d73e9a2ad3a2fe832a8d56f4bd89.png

Advanced Stats from every game

Therefore, in every stat Footywire produces, Mackay net gain/loss when facing a team in the top 8 is:

0a6bda8d7ad01ac49a22d0ea7ca94dfb.png

This is calculated by: ave. match against good team for stat - ave. match against bad team for stat. As a note +ve numbers indicate Mackay improves in this facet of the game against the top 8 teams, whereas -ve means Mackay is better in this facet against bottom teams

Percentage is calculated by: (ave. match against good team for stat/ave. match against bad team for stat)/100-100. This gives a value of a +ve for if Mackay improved (though not always the case) in a certain facet of the game when faced against a good team compared to bad.

As a note, GA and I50% does appear for both basic and advanced stats for footywires game section.

Now what the hell does all this mean, well for the most part, Mackay sees a slight decrease in most stats when facing a good team (15% less disposals, 22% less effective disposals etc). This is arguably what you'd expect from any player with the step up of quality.

There are a couple of interesting ones though. Mackay actually increase his tackling output by 64% when facing a good side, compared to the bad. Not bad for someone who soaking wet would just sneak into the fly weight division. More interestingly is his 1% output drops by close to the same mark, so arguably his work rate is consistent but how he impacts the game defensively changes due to the level of opposition. This also makes sense thinking about it as it's easier to rack up tackles when the opposition has the ball, compared to us.

On a more positive note, Mackay does average 15.79% less clangers, 2.2% more inside 50s as well as very surprisingly 3.7% more clearances when against top 8 sides compared to bottom sides. The other side of that argument though is that there is a 73.33% decrease in goal assists, 33.33% decrease in bounces, 24.14% decrease in uncontested possessions and a 66.67% increase in frees against when he comes up against good sides. Unfortunately for Mackay, the first three are generally key parts for what an outside midfielder is judged on.

It's also worth noting he regularly will get an overall 8.42% less time on ground when facing a good side, and has a drop of DE% by ~3%.

All in all, as an offensive player he's getting heavily shut down at the parts of the game that he is being selected for when facing a good side, however, i'm hesitant to label him a downhill skiier from this. In terms of his inside game, he's quite consistent regardless who he does face (every kpi for an inside midfielder Mackay is varying by at most +- 10%), Outside game it drops heavily which is very problematic.

Now for one more little statistical question, Mackay when we win vs Mackay when we lose.

ddd3bbadae0b295c44808980e6fb9688.png

Basic stats for every game.

c2597e2794dbec9b002c4cf5bba6af73.png

Advanced Stats for every game.

Net gain/Percentage gain for Mackay in a win.
3d6f20a7e91d03ee353252bd7ad846cd.png

By memory he went off injured against the Dogs which does skew these stats a bit, but he still did have a 57% TOG by the point he was. Seeing we've only lost 3 games with Mackay in the side, it may be a big enough factor if he did go off injured to justify a per-minute stat. That'll be tomorrow (if ever) thing though.

In terms of those numbers, the net stat is: average stat per win - average stat per loss, and the percentage is (average stat per win/average stat per loss)*100-100 as i wanted to use the loss numbers as the base.

For that though, everything bar tackles and goals increased quite heavily. It's also worth noting we've won every game that Mackay has earned a FF, taken a contested mark, marked the ball inside 50 and kicked a behind (A nice obscure stat for Drugs Are Bad Mackay?). You could potentially say from this that Mackay does ski a bit, but this could be potentially skewed by injury.

All in all i'd argue he isn't a downhill skiier; more a player that tries hard, but isn't good enough.

Amazing post.

Only thing I'd query is labeling a 15 and 22 percent drop as 'slight' - they'd have to be considered significant, I'd think?

Well, I have some spare time and am curious too <snip>
Awesome effort mate ...

The thing I notice is that the so called "good" things Mackay does - only ever appear when we are against crap teams. He streams out of defence and takes the ball at full speed, he disposes of the ball well, he causes more problems for the opposition than his own team.

Against the better teams I notice that he is the channel that most opposition teams exploit. He panics with the ball. He gets caught with the ball. He is indecisive with his disposal.

Awesome effort mate ...

The thing I notice is that the so called "good" things Mackay does - only ever appear when we are against crap teams. He streams out of defence and takes the ball at full speed, he disposes of the ball well, he causes more problems for the opposition than his own team.

Against the better teams I notice that he is the channel that most opposition teams exploit. He panics with the ball. He gets caught with the ball. He is indecisive with his disposal.
That's what you got out of those stats :rolleyes: ......then proceeded to ignore the stats and apply your own bias ....way to go there

Golumless great work with the stats

I think the most noticeable things for me were the

- Drop in DE% between the two groups; not entirely unexpected though given the nature of the dichotomy;

- glaringly, the TOG - all other things being equal, you'd expect him to be on the ground a similar amount of time, not 10% of the match. Is this a sign that the coaching staff keep him off the ground to minimise damage? It's not like playing a harder team makes him unfit; even if he's off the ground, someone else must be on, so there's no net gain.

That's what you got out of those stats :rolleyes: ......then proceeded to ignore the stats and apply your own bias ....way to go there
No, I didn't get those observations from the stats. That is what I observe by watching the actual game.

I love the stats, but when a tackle by Brad Crouch = a tackle by Mackay ... you know that there is going to be a fair amount of wiggle room :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back