Memorable Games?

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it’s recent history …

… but I think round 23 2022 will go down in history as a classic.

It was Fly’s first season in charge, and expectations were low, but we’d got into finals on the back of a large number of nail biting wins. This last game of the season was against arch rivals Carlton. It had extra spice with ex-teammates Fly and Voss having their first season in charge of their respective clubs. We were down and most had us out at 3/4 time. But we regrouped and managed to win by a point - sneaking into top 4, and denying Carlton finals by 0.4%.

You couldn’t script that as a movie - it would be so unbelievable it would be cheesy.

Last edited:
Ghastly day at the football for a 7 year old. Couldn’t even see anything from memory.
5 games were played that afternoon in Melbourne and 483 points were scored across them (average score of 48.3 per side).

Just one of the worst days at the footy I can remember, at least we won though.

Just tried to find the official weather for that day. Nearest I could find was an article saying the previous night was 2 degrees in Melbourne. Fair to say it didn't go up much.
I remember in the second qtr looking at my mates and just laughing as we could barely stand up straight as the gale force winds and rain from the Nepean Hwy end blew into our faces.

Just tried to find the official weather for that day. Nearest I could find was an article saying the previous night was 2 degrees in Melbourne. Fair to say it didn't go up much.
I remember in the second qtr looking at my mates and just laughing as we could barely stand up straight as the gale force winds and rain from the Nepean Hwy end blew into our faces.
1707653294887.png
This was the forecast in the morning paper:
1707653259651.png
1707653988291.png
1707654043183.png
The match reports for all of that day's games commented on the difficult conditions. This was from the Fitzroy vs. Essendon game:-
1707654128297.png
1707654888440.png
1707654984908.png
It does seem a bit odd that it says there was no rainfall recorded, as the match reports suggest there was plenty. That^ was taken at Melbourne Airport.
1707655612004.png

I know it’s recent history …

… but I think round 23 2022 will go down in history as a classic.

It was Fly’s first season in charge, and expectations were low, but we’d got into finals on the back of a large number of nail biting wins. This last game of the season was against arch rivals Carlton. It had extra spice with ex-teammates Fly and Voss having their first season in charge of their respective clubs. We were down and most had us out at 3/4 time. But we regrouped and managed to win by a point - sneaking into top 4, and denying Carlton finals by 0.4%.

You couldn’t script that as a movie - it would be so unbelievable it would be cheesy.

That was such a great game, and way to end a fabulous H & A season.

But the most enjoyment I got out of it was seeing the looks on the faces of the Blues fans around me. Is it a trait of a psychopath to enjoy others experiencing pain? If so, then I’m a psycho. They were in agony. The finals ripped from their grasp in the dying seconds of the season. You can’t make this stuff up. It was just wonderful.

I liked the win at Telstra Dome against the Eagles in 2006. About 37 points we won by, like we did in 1994. They won the flag both years lol.

Tranquilli's 6 I think I mentioned that 94 game.
That game in 2006 was a weird one. I think the Eagles got off the chain early, but didn't Swanny have a day out? I recall not watching it, or maybe the tail end of it on channel 10. Christo was frothing at the mouth with excitement... those were the days of football commentary :p

I think the most disappointing thing about 2006 was the potential we had. Couldn't get a leg over the Crows, despite leading both games, and couldn't beat the Doggies in the EF, despite giving them a hiding in the corresponding H&A game at the same venue. Does anyone know how we gave away the early ascendency in that final? Dutchy would have missed, given his stupidity at bumping the smiling assassin at opening bounce :rolleyes:

View attachment 1903452
View attachment 1903450
View attachment 1903463
View attachment 1903465
The match reports for all of that day's games commented on the difficult conditions. This was from the Fitzroy vs. Essendon game:-
View attachment 1903467
View attachment 1903478
View attachment 1903480
It does seem a bit odd that it says there was no rainfall recorded, as the match reports suggest there was plenty. That^ was taken at Melbourne Airport.
View attachment 1903498
This is some exceptional research. I'm going to go watch this game right now, just for the third quarter alone! :eekv1:

Did Plugger play in this game and if so, how many did he kick?

That game in 2006 was a weird one. I think the Eagles got off the chain early, but didn't Swanny have a day out? I recall not watching it, or maybe the tail end of it on channel 10. Christo was frothing at the mouth with excitement... those were the days of football commentary :p

I think the most disappointing thing about 2006 was the potential we had. Couldn't get a leg over the Crows, despite leading both games, and couldn't beat the Doggies in the EF, despite giving them a hiding in the corresponding H&A game at the same venue. Does anyone know how we gave away the early ascendency in that final? Dutchy would have missed, given his stupidity at bumping the smiling assassin at opening bounce :rolleyes:
* mate. That 2006 final against the Doggies still baffles me. But they had some good footy in them that season and only finished a game behind us, and just two games and percentage out from the top 4 which Freo filled. 13-9 win loss record and they did beat the Eagles over in Perth and came back from over 5 goals down vs The Dees in a match. Melbourne made the semi's losing to Freo after coming back from 4 odd goals down at half time vs The Saints at The G in week 1.

The doggies could play. Looking at that final against them we kicked 5.6 in the first quarter wasting chances and a 10 point quarter time lead turned into a 10 point deficit at half time. But the third quarter was the icing on the cake as Footscray piled on 6 goals to 1. I was shell shocked that day. I expected a third quarter come back which never came.

* mate. That 2006 final against the Doggies still baffles me. But they had some good footy in them that season and only finished a game behind us, and just two games and percentage out from the top 4 which Freo filled. 13-9 win loss record and they did beat the Eagles over in Perth and came back from over 5 goals down vs The Dees in a match. Melbourne made the semi's losing to Freo after coming back from 4 odd goals down at half time vs The Saints at The G in week 1.

The doggies could play. Looking at that final against them we kicked 5.6 in the first quarter wasting chances and a 10 point quarter time lead turned into a 10 point deficit at half time. But the third quarter was the icing on the cake as Footscray piled on 6 goals to 1. I was shell shocked that day. I expected a third quarter come back which never came.
Legit seems how things went. Got flogged by the Dees on QB, couldn't even get our leg over Richmond in torrential rain (it was cold AF on level 4 amongst the ferals), and we couldn't even get the chocolates against a Bombers side, who was last at the time! F#@K ME!! :mad:

For the Dogs EF, seems we did get up on them to Q1, and even got five goals in the last quarter. Tazz was in prime form throughout that season. Would have been handy to have Pebbles on fire, too. I doubt we would have beaten the Eagles over there in a SF? Geez, would have drawn comparisons to the two point loss in 1994, and being given absolutely NO chance...

Legit seems how things went. Got flogged by the Dees on QB, couldn't even get our leg over Richmond in torrential rain (it was cold AF on level 4 amongst the ferals), and we couldn't even get the chocolates against a Bombers side, who was last at the time! F#@K ME!! :mad:

For the Dogs EF, seems we did get up on them to Q1, and even got five goals in the last quarter. Tazz was in prime form throughout that season. Would have been handy to have Pebbles on fire, too. I doubt we would have beaten the Eagles over there in a SF? Geez, would have drawn comparisons to the two point loss in 1994, and being given absolutely NO chance...
I think we played them well that season in the first meeting at Subi as we did the next season. Both were Saturday Night specials imo. We wouldn't have beaten them but I feel we would have given them a red hot crack and got a lot closer than what the Dogs did. Just style wise and team wise obviously some match up better than others.

The Eagles were great that season though and very stiff to lose that QF1 at home to Sydney. The dogs got decimated just a week later The Eagles were red hot ready to go and cherry ripe.

IMO a four goal loss.

View attachment 1903452
View attachment 1903450
View attachment 1903463
View attachment 1903465
View attachment 1903467
View attachment 1903478
View attachment 1903480
View attachment 1903498

Thanks for that. Great research.

This is some exceptional research. I'm going to go watch this game right now, just for the third quarter alone! :eekv1:

Did Plugger play in this game and if so, how many did he kick?
Big Tony was out injured (broken ankle)!:
1707821171442.png
1707821208869.png

Those of us who were old enough at the time will remember this famous incident!!

i PROBABLY mentioned it here already but love that wet, muddy game in 1992 Daicos delivered we won 11.8 to 8.12 against the red hot Cats.

* it deserves two mentions he and us were that good! What about that goal!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back