Memorable moments of crossing paths with footballers

Remove this Banner Ad

Met Brad Ottens, by then at Geelong, at the greyhounds one night. Me and a fellow Tiger were pretty drunk but told him effusively that we understood why he left Punt Rd, blah, blah.

He was good value, very polite, but didn't appear keen to talk footy.

A week later was bragging to a Cats mate about our brush with fame. Showed him some pics from the night.

It wasn't Ottens we'd met. It was Steven King.
King's a campaigner

I saw Mitch Morton at a supi in Woodville yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off.

When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen gatorades in his bare hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and spat on me. Just like, right in the face.

After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

A week later I was bragging to a Swans mate about my brush with fame. Showed him some pics from the day.

It wasn't Morton I'd seen. It was Steven King.

I once drove to Stuart Maxfields house (which is a good hour away from mine) while he was away and left an envelope addressed to him in the mailbox, the envelope contained a single sheet of blank white paper

I also used to mediate in his yard in the middle of the night to feel his energy

Was he having trouble with the neighbours?

Tigers were playing a game against our team in the pre season when I was 16, they were walking across from our school and one of my female friends yelled go Carlton and Brett Deledio told her to * off

At the actual game I got autographs off almost every player. Richo was bloody good with everyone, only prick was Nathan brown who hid in the upstairs viewing room and tried to sneak out to his car. I had to chase him down and grab his shoulder to get one

Acted like he was Mick Jagger

Saw Garry Lyon in inverloch. I was wasted at lunchtime carrying a slab on me shoulder and yelled go Dees at him. He didn't love it

Ran into Barry Hall at a bar in china town a few years back, said gday to him, and drunkenly decided it would be a great time to tell him a story of when i was a kid, sitting on the fence at the G. Boundary throw in right in front of me, hall was right on the line, i yelled out some rather over the top insults at him, and he turned and stared me down.

He loved it, laughed his head off, and said he had been called much much worse. I offered to buy him a beer, and his response "cmon mate, I dont need you to buy me a beer. I'll get you a drink". Proceeded to buy me and the two guys who hadn't said a word to him, standing next to me, a drink. Top bloke

Ran into Barry Hall at a bar in china town a few years back, said gday to him, and drunkenly decided it would be a great time to tell him a story of when i was a kid, sitting on the fence at the G. Boundary throw in right in front of me, hall was right on the line, i yelled out some rather over the top insults at him, and he turned and stared me down.

He loved it, laughed his head off, and said he had been called much much worse. I offered to buy him a beer, and his response "cmon mate, I dont need you to buy me a beer. I'll get you a drink". Proceeded to buy me and the two guys who hadn't said a word to him, standing next to me, a drink. Top bloke
legendary

I saw Patrick Dangerfield at a grocery store in Melbourne yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
eh? I thought that was Brent Harvey? o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zac Clarke would just do laps of Capitol on a Saturday night, to this day I have no idea why. He would head upstairs, walk through the dancefloor and then go downstairs and walk through the dancefloor before repeating.

Ever see it Tarkyn_24?
On the regular haha, either him or a very convincing doppelgänger.

At a guess, I'm assuming he'd be an absolute tank when it comes to holding his piss
He was doing shots, and on heavy piss all night and seemed 100% sober.

Bumped into Wellingham a few years back in a nightclub in Melbourne. He was having sex with some bird he must have picked up that night in the toilet cubicle.

Was he in the cubicle first? Or were you using it and he came in to share?

I'm a bit lost on the logistics of this one.

Was on the bus one day and saw Brent renouf get on, he hit his head on the way in and his ticket didn't work So the bus driver said get on for free

He was delisted a week later but at least he got that free trip

I saw him once nearly run over a queue waiting to get into a Hawthorn family day as he struggled with the massive SUV he was driving. Sounds like there was a potential sitcom starring Brent.

BTW - he landed a $10,000 fish

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/ex-hawthorn-afl-player-gets-a-10k-barra-in-the-territory

Last edited:
Played AFL 9s against Tom Harley.

He played full forward in the first half and I held him goal less (his poor kicking more than my defending)

Then I played forward on him and slotted 5 in a half.

He was a great bloke who was there to be social and have a chat.

Tell me you let him know about each goal

Met Capper in my apartment lobby on the GC a few years ago. It was pouring down with rain outside, at about 8pm, and there was at least an inch of water over the footpath outside. There's a woolies across the mall, and I was hungry, so I went down to the lobby and was preparing to run down the stairs from the front door, across the 25 metres to the next undercover area to Woolies.

While I was standing at the front door looking outside, I heard a voice coming from the waiting area in the dark corner from someone who I hadn't previously noticed sitting there: "Do ya wanna get a photo with Capperrrrrrr".

I was like WTF is going on. I asked him if he was visiting someone here, and he went on some rambling story about being kicked out of his taxi and this was the closest building for him to remain dry (how he got in is beyond me - the doors only open with a swipe key).

I went across to Woolies and came back 5 minutes later.

No Capper, but he left his thongs on the floor of the lobby.

What a strange ******* dude.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back