Memorial Delonte West-Gloria James South Beach Cup 2018/2019 (Year 8)

Future of the Injury Reserve

• Add the IR slot and continue with the LTIR rules?

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Add the IR slot and allow the managers to use it as they wish?

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No changes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think everyone needs to chill a little. We've just had the most entertaining off season I've seen. I do agree wth Tony albeit not as savagely and without a quit threat, I think it's kinda crazy to be complaining about people making pickups during fantasy playoffs. It's a very standard league mechanism and happens in literally every NBA fantasy league. I think the 2 adds after the season, one of which is mine probably need to be reversed or at least a rule made that after the finals are done the F.A pool locks until the draft. But this is just a fun league, can we all just try and be nice...

Only one person needs to calm down.

I'm not worked up over this. I just think some of the stuff that goes on favours those with more time on their hands.

Only one person needs to calm down.

I'm not worked up over this. I just think some of the stuff that goes on favours those with more time on their hands.
That just isn't an argument dude. You could say the exact same thing and apply it to the whole season. You could say I don't agree with people being able to add free agents because they have more time than me to watch games or to check the wire. You could say I dont agree with there being a draft because people have more time than me to watch Summer league. It doesn't make for a logical argument. Like obviously people have different amounts of time, that's life. No one is forcing anyone to put in time or to play, people play because they want to and they enjoy following the league. I had way less time last season to follow the league than I've had in the past, I couldn't always check box scores daily, but that's not a logical reason to request a rule change. There is no difference between checking the league in December and checking the league in April/May. The league runs from the draft and opening tip til there's a champ crowned. It's always going to favour people with more time, that's just the way fantasy sports work.

That just isn't an argument dude. You could say the exact same thing and apply it to the whole season. You could say I don't agree with people being able to add free agents because they have more time than me to watch games or to check the wire. You could say I dont agree with there being a draft because people have more time than me to watch Summer league. It doesn't make for a logical argument. Like obviously people have different amounts of time, that's life. No one is forcing anyone to put in time or to play, people play because they want to and they enjoy following the league. I had way less time last season to follow the league than I've had in the past, I couldn't always check box scores daily, but that's not a logical reason to request a rule change. There is no difference between checking the league in December and checking the league in April/May. The league runs from the draft and opening tip til there's a champ crowned. It's always going to favour people with more time, that's just the way fantasy sports work.

No you couldn't just say apply it to the whole season. It's needed during the season for shaping of lists etc.

It's not needed during finals is the best argument. Stiff s**t if you can't switch players in and out during finals. Luck of the draw.
It's not like you've not had weeks leading up to the finals to prepare for it.

Do NBA teams bring in new players for the finals? I'm only bringing it up because I never saw why it should be a thing.

And then when you see teams picking up players after the season is gone it just highlights that shutting off player transactions once finals start isn't that bad of an idea.

No you couldn't just say apply it to the whole season. It's needed during the season for shaping of lists etc.

It's not needed during finals is the best argument. Stiff s**t if you can't switch players in and out during finals. Luck of the draw.
It's not like you've not had weeks leading up to the finals to prepare for it.

Do NBA teams bring in new players for the finals? I'm only bringing it up because I never saw why it should be a thing.

And then when you see teams picking up players after the season is gone it just highlights that shutting off player transactions once finals start isn't that bad of an idea.
Dude you just said you didnt like it because it favours teams with more time. Now you're again going back to the realism argument.

If it's the realism argument then free agency just began and we should be able to sign all players in the F.A pool right now. We also shouldn't be able to draft players in the F.A pool as players are only draft eligible once. There's a bunch of other ways that fantasy fails to mimic real life.

It isn't about the fact that you have all season to put together a roster. It's about there being another element of strategy in fantasy playoffs as well as there being more options to replace injured players. Streaming aka adding players during playoffs is a skill, it's a massive part of fantasy playoffs. In a keeper league even more so, I cut a few players during the semi finals who I would never have cut if they weren't injured in such a key matchup. For savvy rebuilding teams this provides an opportunity to get some talent they wouldn't have been able to get. Especially in an age where teams frequently shut down players at the end of the regular season.

It isn't about stiff s*** you have injuries, that isn't why Tony and I are defending this mechanism so strongly. You're trying to get rid of a key component of the game and it feels like you're doing so just because you don't want to pay attention to your team. This feels very similar to you blowing up in roto 2 years ago when you realised that with the game counting at positions you actually had to pay attention to your team daily and set lineups reguarly. Anyways, I'm gonna leave it at that and let Billy and the rest of the league weigh in. I think both Tony and I and yourself have all made our arguments and our stances and reasoning is all pretty clear. ✌

Dude you just said you didnt like it because it favours teams with more time. Now you're again going back to the realism argument.

If it's the realism argument then free agency just began and we should be able to sign all players in the F.A pool right now. We also shouldn't be able to draft players in the F.A pool as players are only draft eligible once. There's a bunch of other ways that fantasy fails to mimic real life.

It isn't about the fact that you have all season to put together a roster. It's about there being another element of strategy in fantasy playoffs as well as there being more options to replace injured players. Streaming aka adding players during playoffs is a skill, it's a massive part of fantasy playoffs. In a keeper league even more so, I cut a few players during the semi finals who I would never have cut if they weren't injured in such a key matchup. For savvy rebuilding teams this provides an opportunity to get some talent they wouldn't have been able to get. Especially in an age where teams frequently shut down players at the end of the regular season.

It isn't about stiff s*** you have injuries, that isn't why Tony and I are defending this mechanism so strongly. You're trying to get rid of a key component of the game and it feels like you're doing so just because you don't want to pay attention to your team. This feels very similar to you blowing up in roto 2 years ago when you realised that with the game counting at positions you actually had to pay attention to your team daily and set lineups reguarly. Anyways, I'm gonna leave it at that and let Billy and the rest of the league weigh in. I think both Tony and I and yourself have all made our arguments and our stances and reasoning is all pretty clear. ✌

Well no.

I think there's a few teams out there who might not know picking players up after a team is out of the play offs is a thing. Can't say it's on my mind when the season ends.

The fact nobody but the last few teams were the ones picking up the vast majority of players so late in the season suggests other teams aren't seeing this as something they can all keep doing when their teams seasons end.

Well no.

I think there's a few teams out there who might not know picking players up after a team is out of the play offs is a thing. Can't say it's on my mind when the season ends.

The fact nobody but the last few teams were the ones picking up the vast majority of players so late in the season suggests other teams aren't seeing this as something they can all keep doing when their teams seasons end.

Teams that added players during the fantasy playoffs:
Myself - in playoffs
Tony - in playoffs
Peter H - in playoffs
Billy - Not In playoffs
Dutchy- Not in playoffs
Bugsy - Not in playoffs
Pretty Good (Not sure whose team this is) - In playoffs

So 4 teams that were in the playoffs and 3 that weren't made changes and 7 out of 12 teams overall made changes. 🤨

Seems at least 7 managers know they can make changes during the playoffs.

Teams that added players during the fantasy playoffs:
Myself - in playoffs
Tony - in playoffs
Peter H - in playoffs
Billy - Not In playoffs
Dutchy- Not in playoffs
Bugsy - Not in playoffs
Pretty Good (Not sure whose team this is) - In playoffs

So 4 teams that were in the playoffs and 3 that weren't made changes and 7 out of 12 teams overall made changes. 🤨

Seems at least 7 managers know they can make changes during the playoffs.

And 5 didn't.

Pretty Good is Helios. You'll have to ask him if he knows moves can be made after a team is out of the finals.

And 5 didn't.

Pretty Good is Helios. You'll have to ask him if he knows moves can be made after a team is out of the finals.
Well he added a player during the first round of the playoffs so yes he does know you can add a player during the playoffs. Whether a team can add a player after they've been eliminated isn't what we've been debating. Either everyone can make changes from the free agent pool or no one can, otherwise it would be totally unfair to the bottom teams and parity is lost...

:oops: :D

Wow lads quite a bit going on!

If I didn’t have two hours to kill whilst waiting to board a plane to Thailand I wouldn’t even be commenting on this league for another 6 weeks.

But anyway here I am and here are my thoughts.

Free agency has and always will remain open until the end of the Championship week.

As stated previously active managers will/can be rewarded by monitoring the adds and drops throughout the fantasy playoffs. Teams with title aspirations may have to drop a player who is injured or a player with significant potential but not performing to increase their title chances, therefore allowing a manager of another less performing team the chance to pick them up.

One of the biggest reasons why free agency will always remain open is due to the fact the final month to 6 weeks of the fantasy and real regular season, a lot of rookies and less used players begin to get game time and a chance to show their potential. I’m not going to have it that those players can not be added by an active manager of a team still in the title race or an eliminated team who is still showing an interest in their team once eliminated.

Only takes a minute to log on every night to see what is going on and look at who has been dropped.

I have added many players in this league and other leagues during fantasy seasons when my team has already been eliminated, an I will continue to do so.

As far as managers adding players after the Championship week has been concluded I do not have an issue with that also. If the Championship manager wants to drop one of his players after the final game of the season and add a player that has been available to every other manager he should be allowed to do so.

So to sum it up, free agency will remain open until Yahoo closes the league like it has for every season that this league has been in existence.

That’s it from me. Not sure it’s what everyone wants to hear but that doesn’t bother me as I’m off to Thailand 🇹🇭 and in my off season of fantasy basketball. Right now I am more worried about my SuperCoach team as I am close to having more injuries than trades left! FML!!! :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I didn’t have two hours to kill whilst waiting to board a plane to Thailand I wouldn’t even be commenting on this league for another 6 weeks.

Free agency has and always will remain open until the end of the Championship week.

As stated previously active managers will/can be rewarded by monitoring the adds and drops throughout the fantasy playoffs. Teams with title aspirations may have to drop a player who is injured or a player with significant potential but not performing to increase their title chances, therefore allowing a manager of another less performing team the chance to pick them up.

One of the biggest reasons why free agency will always remain open is due to the fact the final month to 6 weeks of the fantasy and real regular season, a lot of rookies and less used players begin to get game time and a chance to show their potential. I’m not going to have it that those players can not be added by an active manager of a team still in the title race or an eliminated team who is still showing an interest in their team once eliminated.

Only takes a minute to log on every night to see what is going on and look at who has been dropped.

I have added many players in this league and other leagues during fantasy seasons when my team has already been eliminated, an I will continue to do so.

As far as managers adding players after the Championship week has been concluded I do not have an issue with that also. If the Championship manager wants to drop one of his players after the final game of the season and add a player that has been available to every other manager he should be allowed to do so.

So to sum it up, free agency will remain open until Yahoo closes the league like it has for every season that this league has been in existence.

That’s it from me. Not sure it’s what everyone wants to hear but that doesn’t bother me as I’m off to Thailand 🇹🇭 and in my off season of fantasy basketball. Right now I am more worried about my SuperCoach team as I am close to having more injuries than trades left! FML!!! :cool:
Well said. So is the draft not for another 6 weeks or so then?

I think we usually draft in late September after doing a roll call for the returning managers in early September.
Yep cool just getting trigger happy lol, even though i dont even have my 1st, Melbourne being so s**t and NBA having such an interesting off season has me all about NBA early this year.

Again just to shout out since it mightve got lost amongst the arguing, but pretty much my whole team is on the block this off season. I'm willing to blow my team up for the right trade/s, despite perhaps having another year or 2 to compete i'm very open to retooling, rebuilding or trying to make another run. So if you want to try and drastically reduce my teams chances for this season and increase yours via getting in some aging stars to fill out your roster i sure have a lot of top players who are available for the right price. Or if you have some players that can fill out my roster for this season and gimme a semblance of a chance at Peter in 12 months, my young players could also be moved.

Trade block - Russ, Lebron, CP3, Horford, Pat Bev, CJ McCollum, Reddick, WCS.

Then maybe Beal or Nurkic though im inclined to keep them since they're still yet to hit their prime, Mikael Bridges another youngin who im open to moving who showed himself to be an elite fantasy defender out of the gate and open to dealing Kuzma too if a team needs a scorer, he should be getting all the wide open looks this year. Both KAT and Turner i'd be very hesitant to move but if you have a similar star there really isn't anyone totally untouchable on my list and im willing to listen to all offers and i have no idea which direction ill take the team.

Wanted, either young players 18-26ish, draft picks both before and after the draft and high end prospects or win now type players who i can add to my aging stars to gimme a chance to stay relevant. Also looking to get back in to the lottery and get a pick around the 8-15 range or at least im targeting a player in that range. with my lowly pick 22 available in talks too.

Thanks for clarifying. Would have been nice to know that players can be picked up after the season ends however.

Obviously some teams didn't know this was a thing.

Back