Memories of Coll Bris r 8 2002

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at that one.

McGough played, and Vossy was knocked out by friendly fire. I remember the relief as Lappin missed a shot in the last when the Lions had all the running.

The highlight was Tarrant's mark while being held like an octopus. Couldn't get to the drop of the ball so put his foot out and kicked it up to himself. Absolutely freaky!

I was at that one.

McGough played, and Vossy was knocked out by friendly fire. I remember the relief as Lappin missed a shot in the last when the Lions had all the running.

The highlight was Tarrant's mark while being held like an octopus. Couldn't get to the drop of the ball so put his foot out and kicked it up to himself. Absolutely freaky!
That Vossy was a hard nut. Came back on in the last quarter and got their team back into it. Jason Cloke saved us in the last couple of minutes when Jonathan Brown was threatening. Remember Dids speech in the Victory room after the game. Great evening but you didn't know then we would be playing Brisbane in the GF.

That Vossy was a hard nut. Came back on in the last quarter and got their team back into it. Jason Cloke saved us in the last couple of minutes when Jonathan Brown was threatening. Remember Dids speech in the Victory room after the game. Great evening but you didn't know then we would be playing Brisbane in the GF.

I noticed Cloke was playing a proper centrehalfback role and not leaving his man as he would do later on.
Every player did their role properly, from the Nathan Buckleys to the Glenn Freeborns.

and That Shows IF Jason Cloke played in the 2002 GF we most likely win the flag

I was at that one.

How good was that mark!!!

Absolutely true about the noise that night at Etihad was deafening and the atmosphere was immense. Game stood out like a beacon. A moment of arrival for that team. The whole Collingwood crowd knew we were witnessing an awakening of our club.

One of the few Collingwood games I've loved at Etihad, shout out to the Dogs game R15, 2009.

Obviously the 2002 Brisbane games is miles ahead though.

That Dogs game was a ripper. I went home elated that night, for the first time in many years knowing we had a flag coming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spoke to an Irish guy a few weeks back who has been all over the world and seen many different sporting events in different countries - nba, premier league, rugby union just to name a few. He very much surprised me when he said one of the best if not the best atomospheres of any game he has ever been to was this game, which he happened to be at and has seen a handful of AFL games. Was amazed he remembered it and rated it so highly.

Lets not forget the coach ......Mick Malthouse........who did not need a mentor

Funny what 17-18 years with >400 games coaching at 3 clubs will do for a bloke.

For great memorable games nothing can go past the 1990 GF. For anyone old enough, 32 years of waiting, so many lost finals and GFs, it seemed that day would never come and when it did. Wow.

Might put it on later if my wife conks out. I’ve already had one IPA and am likely up for more with the heat. This would be a nice way to end the night.

Go Bucks you legend!

For great memorable games nothing can go past the 1990 GF. For anyone old enough, 32 years of waiting, so many lost finals and GFs, it seemed that day would never come and when it did. Wow.

My Favorite Memory when I went to the Footy is still RD 9 2005 when we beat West Coast when we where Bottom and They where Top.

Really?

I don't remember it being overly loud honestly.

The games that stick in my head for sheer volume were the Adelaide Prelim in 2002 and the Geelong Prelim in 2010.

But nothing ultimately gets near 2010 Prelim.

IMO was the loudest game I have been too at Etihad. 46,000 fans that night (40,000 would of been pies fans 3 qtr when we hit the front was really loud.

Loudest crowd I have been too was the 2002 preliminary final v Adelaide. 89,000 at the g 70,000 Collingwood fans I still too this day remember when we ran out onto the mcg for our first final in 12 years at the g was the loudest roar i have ever heard. And second was when Rocca kicked a 70m goal in the 3 qtr to put us up by 3 goals.

2010 preliminaries final was also huge especially the 1st qtr when we kicked the first 7 goals. 95,000 were at that game easily 60,000 plus pies fans going nuts smashing one of the all time great teams in history the Geelong fc

Only been to 2 finals games in my whole life, the 02 prelim and the 02 GF so cant really compare noise levels, but the 02 prelim noise level sounded pretty massive to me, I still rate that day as one of the best days of my life

I do remember watching that 02 game v Bris on tv, was a great game and I remember being pretty pumped up afterwards, have got that game on DVD so might give it a look see over the weekend

Dont think I have the 02 prelim on DVD so might have to get that

In 2002 the mcg could still hold 96,200. 2003 is when the redevelopment started with the ponsford stand.

Got my years mixed up. I was at all the finals in 02 and 03 but couldn’t remember when the development started.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back