Memories of Coll Bris r 8 2002

Remove this Banner Ad

Really?

I don't remember it being overly loud honestly.

The games that stick in my head for sheer volume were the Adelaide Prelim in 2002 and the Geelong Prelim in 2010.

But nothing ultimately gets near 2010 Prelim.

IMO the 2007 Prelim has it covered because the game was so close.

It's the loudest game I've been to at the footy.

The only thing that topped it for me was the 2006 commonwealth games when Craig Mottram ran in the 5000m final when the whole crowd was cheering him on as one.

The only thing that topped it for me was the 2006 commonwealth games when Craig Mottram ran in the 5000m final when the whole crowd was cheering him on as one.

Though the Result was not the Right One

Though the Result was not the Right One
It was a funny game that night.

I walked away so proud of the teams effort, it's still one of my favorite games.

I think the fact we had a good run the previous week rolling West Coast without Judd & Cousins helped dull the disappointment of missing out on a GF.

It was a funny game that night.

I walked away so proud of the teams effort, it's still one of my favorite games.

I think the fact we had a good run the previous week rolling West Coast without Judd & Cousins helped dull the disappointment of missing out on a GF.

Especially with Cats making Port there Daddies

I dunno man. I was at 2007 and 2010. The crowd was bigger in 2007 but the 2007 crowd was a far more even split of Collingwood and Geelong supporters. 2010 was at LEAST a 65/35 split our way so I think it was much louder.

The players were interviewed after the game and a few said it sounded and felt like the stands were coming down in the first quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was loud but it was the intensity on field that was noticeable, free flowing end to end contests. The energy on field pulsed into the stands. It was an absolute corker of a contest.

It was a special match on a number of levels but for me, post 7 years of torment and absence from the finals, going up against the reigning premier was the acid test to whether we had arrived. The anticipation just built through the week.
Little did we know that the new Malthouse era would see us play finals 8 times during his 11 year tenure.

It was effectively a title fight. We, the incumbent AFL heavyweight, embarrassed by not having played finals for 9 years, 3 of which saw us languishing at or near the bottom of ladder. The last stand match at Victoria Park in '99 was still pretty fresh in supporters minds.
The new Lions were 2 years into what would become a modern era juggernaut that dominated the competition for the next 3 seasons.
The sides occupied 1st and 2nd positions on the ladder and the match delivered a contest fitting those positions.

We of course now know the result.

My clearest memory though was late in the 3rd quarter, we all rose as we kicked our 6th goal for the quarter. A bit of friendly jostling ensued between our group which resulted in one of the boys ending up 3 rows below us.
He could have been seriously hurt if his fall wasn't broken by a 12 year old girl...

Last edited:
Especially with Cats making Port there Daddies
Davo other way around. They made themselves Port's Daddies.....

Just as an addendum, who among us was 10 or under at the time and was probably too young to remember the trials of the late naughties?

I mean, yeah we beat the insurmountable Brions that night, but despite being utensil-a-hoop as a ten year old would be, it barely registered how talented we were, let alone we would be making a Grand Final. Before this my reaction to losing so much had been "oh we lost, but life goes on. Pokemon!!!"

Hard not to critically appraise every handball, kick or clanger now. We are all older, but oh to have those beloved memories of ten and under again, and the blissful ignorance :shoutyoldman:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back