Toast Memory Lane: Phil Carman

Remove this Banner Ad

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
One of the guys on the ride I did wnet up to Phil and got him to sign one of our ride T shirts for me knowing I was a Pie nut. I had been going on about how Carmen cost us the 77 flag. Where he signed he left a footnote on the T shirt saying "Sorry about Tucky"

Thats gold. After all these years its good to have a laugh.

Its still his fault though!!!

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was on a charity ride this year wher we rode Postie motorbikes from Perth to Melb for prostate cancer. David Parkin was on the ride also. We stopped at East Gambier FC in Mount Gambier and they did a charity night with us. Phil Carmen was their coach and he spoke really well. Admitted he made mistakes at Collingwood and attributed blame to himself.

He has put a lot into country footy as a coach over the years. Still super fit and looks like he could still play at age 63. There is no doubt is isn't the average footy guy, not a drinker etc but deserves credit for his coaching which has been successful. He has since lefr East Gambier after 1 yr of a 2 year contractsuddenly. He cited family reasons for pulling out and has since been signed to coach Sebastapol hear Ballarat. Doesn't seen anything is simple when it comes to Phil

One of the guys on the ride I did wnet up to Phil and got him to sign one of our ride T shirts for me knowing I was a Pie nut. I had been going on about how Carmen cost us the 77 flag. Where he signed he left a footnote on the T shirt saying "Sorry about Tucky"
There's no sure thing in life but put Carmen playing well in any footy side and you are 3 goals the better and we only needed a point :(

There's no sure thing in life but put Carmen playing well in any footy side and you are 3 goals the better and we only needed a point :(

If Carmen played we won. I wish I could be as sure of lots of things as I am sure about that.

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
He was that good that he didn't notice any difference between the SANFL and VFL. To be that much better than everyone is not bad.

Just finished coaching East Gambier in the the soon to be scrapped/changed WBFL. Didn't make the finals but not much to work with.
Not sure what's he doing now. Has a gardening type business I think.

He was that good that he didn't notice any difference between the SANFL and VFL. To be that much better than everyone is not bad.

Just finished coaching East Gambier in the the soon to be scrapped/changed WBFL. Didn't make the finals but not much to work with.
Not sure what's he doing now. Has a gardening type business I think.

Left East Gambier 1 yeear into a 2 year contract. Has since signed to coach Sebastapol

McOrist

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
The East
AFL Club
Collingwood
Even though I had John Greening's #22 on my jumper as a kid, IMHO Carman just had him covered for raw talent. I was on the outer wing at Moorabbin in '75 the day he kicked the 6 goals out of our 11 in the last quarter comeback -we were 20 pts down at the 22 min mark, then somehow 20 pts up 5 mins later! Carman finished up with 11 goals in total. That's still the best individual game I've seen from any Collingwood player.

A question from that era -Fabulous Phil was the first 'Pie to wear the white boots. Who was our second player to don the white boots?

Even though I had John Greening's #22 on my jumper as a kid, IMHO Carman just had him covered for raw talent. I was on the outer wing at Moorabbin in '75 the day he kicked the 6 goals out of our 11 in the last quarter comeback -we were 20 pts down at the 22 min mark, then somehow 20 pts up 5 mins later! Carman finished up with 11 goals in total. That's still the best individual game I've seen from any Collingwood player.

A question from that era -Fabulous Phil was the first 'Pie to wear the white boots. Who was our second player to don the white boots?

I would guess Rene Kink and chuck in Graeme Anderson as my 2nd guess

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood

I was at that game too, I was with a whole heap of St Kilda barracking mates. Great day

Was the player Craig Davis. Or perhaps Peter Moore?

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
pcarman-206x300.jpg

I was at that game too, I was with a whole heap of St Kilda barracking mates. Great day

Was the player Craig Davis. Or perhaps Peter Moore?
Reckon they would be possibles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Magro, Carmen and Kink. Jezza was always copping it from us. Kinky did go a bit to far. Magro was just about right (was at Princes pak that day) and Phil was just a slap.

Hinequarters

Club Legend
Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
In my pants
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bingo. My memory is Graeme Shephard wearing the white boots with Carman in the game at Moorabbin. I always thought Carman first wore the white boots a couple of games earlier, pretty much upon his return from the foot he broke in the State game.

I was at that state game.. he finished a breath away from winning the Brownlow medal and must have lost 6 weeks with that injury :(

morgoth

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2002
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Makes me sick to think we could have had Greening and Carmen working in tandem, one was unlucky, the other just had issues. And at their tail end of their careers they could have teamed up with Daicos.

As a young bloke I used to see a sports medicine guy who used to work on Phil also. Was a huge wrap, but said he had one big problem, his wife. I did not get the full gist of it (I was a bit young) but it sounded like he was obsessed about her so when Michael Tuck said something to the effect of 'I ****ed your wife', Phil went bang and it cost us a flag.

Sadly my enduring memory of him is him head butting the umpire.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Makes me sick to think we could have had Greening and Carmen working in tandem, one was unlucky, the other just had issues. And at their tail end of their careers they could have teamed up with Daicos.

As a young bloke I used to see a sports medicine guy who used to work on Phil also. Was a huge wrap, but said he had one big problem, his wife. I did not get the full gist of it (I was a bit young) but it sounded like he was obsessed about her so when Michael Tuck said something to the effect of 'I ****** your wife', Phil went bang and it cost us a flag.

Join the club on bittersweet memories of firecracker Phil :(

As a young bloke I used to see a sports medicine guy who used to work on Phil also. Was a huge wrap, but said he had one big problem, his wife. I did not get the full gist of it (I was a bit young) but it sounded like he was obsessed about her so when Michael Tuck said something to the effect of 'I ****** your wife', Phil went bang and it cost us a flag.

Ah yes, the head butting the umpire incident. Never a good look, in any era of football. Not good for the umpire either.

I can't add much to the comments above, other than also having an enduring memory of Fabulous Phil's brilliance and unpredictability. And another case of us missing out on a flag due to sheer stupidity or rotten bad luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back