Toast Memory Lane: Phil Carman

Remove this Banner Ad

No disrespect to anyone here but I am only interested in remembering the bloke I saw play the most amazing football, not the times a powder keg exploded. If the fuse had not ignited who knows what could of been but it wasn't. Phil Carman still played better, more dominant footy than I have ever seen any other footballer play in my lifetime.

No disrespect to anyone here but I am only interested in remembering the bloke I saw play the most amazing football, not the times a powder keg exploded. If the fuse had not ignited who knows what could of been but it wasn't. Phil Carman still played better, more dominant footy than I have ever seen any other footballer play in my lifetime.

No doubt the premier player of his era, for me however the explosions drowned out the applause and the sh1tstorms obscured the undoubted brilliance.

Too bittersweet to dwell upon :(

Yeah that's just super but we play for flags and he cost us one and didn't win us one

Peter Moore>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fabulous Phil

*inbeforeyoubitchabouthowhedesertedcollingwood

Look Phil was good, but Daics has him covered for dominance, yes he kicked 11 that day at Moorabbin but Daics kicked 13 one day at Carrara and 97 for a small forward in the 1990 premiership year. No doubt that Fabulous Phil was a phenomenon, but he wasn't even our most dominant player of the last half century, let alone a Hudson, Abblett senior or a Matthews.

Look Phil was good, but Daics has him covered for dominance, yes he kicked 11 that day at Moorabbin but Daics kicked 13 one day at Carrara and 97 for a small forward in the 1990 premiership year. No doubt that Fabulous Phil was a phenomenon, but he wasn't even our most dominant player of the last half century, let alone a Hudson, Abblett senior or a Matthews.
No I can't agree with that. Carmen on song was untouchable. He shone shortly because he came at 24 and stuffed up early but he was at another level from Daics. Daics had special talents that were unique but he couldn't dominate the competition like a Carmen or a Greening or a Buckley or even a Swan. In State of Origin or in a lot of Finals Daics struggled to be the player he was at Victoria Park. That was never a problem for Carmen. Sorry for the sacrilege.

No I can't agree with that. Carmen on song was untouchable. He shone shortly because he came at 24 and stuffed up early but he was at another level from Daics. Daics had special talents that were unique but he couldn't dominate the competition like a Carmen or a Greening or a Buckley or even a Swan. In State of Origin or in a lot of Finals Daics struggled to be the player he was at Victoria Park. That was never a problem for Carmen. Sorry for the sacrilege.

It's not sacrilege, each to their own and all that. Just wondering which finals series Phil dominated? And Daics didn't get to play State of Origin when he was in his prime. As I said previously Carman was a unique talent (he towelled up Bruce Doull and Geoff Southby in the interstate game) but Daics won us finals ('90 Elimination against WC, GF goals against the dons that lifted us, he also won us an early final against the Cats out at Waverley when he turned one of the Nankervis brothers inside out and slotted a fabulous goal in the dying minutes).

Carman was a better mark, Daics a far better kick (on both feet), Carman was a better athlete but Daicos was a better footballer....How'd you like to have them in our side right now?

It's not sacrilege, each to their own and all that. Just wondering which finals series Phil dominated? And Daics didn't get to play State of Origin when he was in his prime. As I said previously Carman was a unique talent (he towelled up Bruce Doull and Geoff Southby in the interstate game) but Daics won us finals ('90 Elimination against WC, GF goals against the dons that lifted us, he also won us an early final against the Cats out at Waverley when he turned one of the Nankervis brothers inside out and slotted a fabulous goal in the dying minutes).

Carman was a better mark, Daics a far better kick (on both feet), Carman was a better athlete but Daicos was a better footballer....How'd you like to have them in our side right now?
It's a good pont you make. I don't doubt I was seduced by Carmen in 1975. It was his only great season. It's unfair on Daics who was so good for so long and overcame injury. But Carmen was so good in 75 and I was 14 yo and already a footy addict. He has always been such a "what if" in my mind.

Daics struggled in the 1990 finals series apart from kicking the 3 impossible goals at absolutely critical times of games. Still rate that goal against WCE as the best I have ever seen. Speaking of Daics in finals the other stunning goal he kicked at a big time was v Carlton 1984 1st Semi. He kicked 7 that day so clearly I have sold him short. Sorry Daics. The goal he kicked in the 2nd Q when running into a wall of Carlton players and just delaying taking the ball until suddenly he was clear and kicking for goal. Cant be described in words, had to see it, true poetry in motion.

Daicos only got 3 possessions in the 1990 GF, two of which were freakish goals. He did struggle to win a lot of the football in his later years.

Daicos only got 3 possessions in the 1990 GF, two of which were freakish goals. He did struggle to win a lot of the football in his later years.

Daicos played the 1990 finals series with a groin injury. He kicked goals in every game and his three clinkers (the goal of the century against WC, the first of the GF and his banana after half time) were all super efforts. If by his later years you mean his last year then yes he did struggle (most players do...that's why they retire) but 250 games by this bloke given the injuries he'd endured was probably worth 350 in todays system. I dare say his 97 goals in a season as a small forward will never be beaten.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do you rate Moore?

Just interested.

He's in my "if you had to pick a side to play for your life" team!!
I had him in the forward pocket alternating in the ruck with Len Thompson.

On my rungs list....Peter Moore is on level 4 along with Thommo, Gavin Brown, James Clement and Wayne Richardson.

He's in my "if you had to pick a side to play for your life" team!!
I had him in the forward pocket alternating in the ruck with Len Thompson.

On my rungs list....Peter Moore is on level 4 along with Thommo, Gavin Brown, James Clement and Wayne Richardson.
Fair call.

That's a fairly good rung IMO

Since 1970

H Shaw Morwood Reid
Brown Picken Clement
Barham Price Millane
Dunne Cloke Greening
Moore McKenna Daicos

Thompson Buckley Swan

A Shaw Pendlebury Tuddenham W Richardson

Emer: Wearmouth R Shaw Daisy
Couldn't fit Burns in there?

Yeah look maybe you are right. I am talking about what I saw and how I saw it though. Something about Phil did the ordinary so well whereas Daics made the extraordinary look easy. Each to their own though, and certainly he doesn't compare to Hudson, etc.

Yeah that's just super but we play for flags and he cost us one and didn't win us one

Thanks for your contribution.

I see and support the pies very differently to you. I'm sure your way is right but unfortunately I was born this way and try as I do, just can't change it. With only 2 gfs in my lifetime and dozens of much loved pies players (& a coach or 5) that were clearly to blame for every single loss I have just had to learn to love them for what they were, not what they weren't. I'd struggle with your approach because my memories would be dominated by failures and a'holes who cost us flags.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back