Toast Memory Lane: Phil Carman

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for quoting my article from 10 years ago. I wrote about 20 articles like that over the years which come up every now and then. I am probably better known for my John Greening articles.

Have enjoyed the conversation in this Phil Carman thread. :thumbsu:

Feel free to create a "Memory Lane" thread about any other players if you like - if you need a hand searching for your old articles then let me know and happy to help. There's footage of many of the popular 70's + players on YouTube - let me know if you need a hand with embedding them into a post.

ps. Everybody and anybody is invited to do this. I picked Phil Carman because his number was the first I put on my jumper (when he wore '2').

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have enjoyed the conversation in this Phil Carman thread. :thumbsu:

Feel free to create a "Memory Lane" thread about any other players if you like - if you need a hand searching for your old articles then let me know and happy to help. There's footage of many of the popular 70's + players on YouTube - let me know if you need a hand with embedding them into a post.

ps. Everybody and anybody in invited to do this. I picked Phil Carman because his number was the first I put on my jumper (when he wore '2').
Greg did one of the best threads I have read on the day John Greening 'died'.
It sometimes gets resurrected when we play St Kilda, just don't get him started on the Beatles

rustyg70

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2011
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Great work.
Any chance of one on John Greening please?
I've watched footage and heard all of the reports on how good this guy was, but I think it would be great for some of our younger supporters to realise how good this man was before being cowardly attacked by Jim O'dea.
Some describe him as one of the best they have ever seen play.
(I'd do it, but my computer skills aren't that flash)
jonbe54 might be able to add some comments.

rand corp

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
asia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Easily the most naturally gifted footballer I have ever seen, he was that good.

Came over at 24, missed 8 games with a broken foot suffered in the state game and still finished 3rd in the brownlow, which he would have romped in if he did not get injured.

Unfortunately, it all went to his head and he was his own worst enemy. Destroyed his own career did Phil when he could have been remembered as one of the greatest the game has ever seen.
I am still so conflicted when it comes to Fabulous Phil, such an amazing player to watch, breathtaking, such a wasted talent and career.

Easily the most naturally gifted footballer I have ever seen, he was that good.

Came over at 24, missed 8 games with a broken foot suffered in the state game and still finished 3rd in the brownlow, which he would have romped in if he did not get injured.

Unfortunately, it all went to his head and he was his own worst enemy. Destroyed his own career did Phil when he could have been remembered as one of the greatest the game has ever seen.
I am still so conflicted when it comes to Fabulous Phil, such an amazing player to watch, breathtaking, such a wasted talent and career.

Yep. Was just so good to watch and didn't get near being what he should have been

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Carman played CHF.. it's like the difference between Carey and Buckley.. you'd have to take Carey everytime and then keep the wives out of the toilet at parties o_O
We can only go on displayed form and John didn't get the chance to totally develop his game, but my oh my the prospect was glorious.

As for Carey, great footballer, cruddy human being.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was chatting to a photographer at today's training session and he told me that Phil Carman (and others) stayed with his aunt when he first came to Collingwood.
She was President of the Ladies Committee in the 70's.
Everything in her house was black and white and she had stuffed magpies everywhere!:rainbow:

He was Dave, you are too young to have known how good he was, ask your Dad about Phil

I have asked my Dad and he said he was the Best Player he ever Saw but Problem he has s**t for Brains. Cost us the 1977 Flag

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now on SEN on their Jesaulenko You Beauty segment.

Good listening.

The best way to think of Phil Carman is to think Gary Ablett senior, our version thereof.

Elite of elite. If he had eg Leigh Matthews or Nathan Buckley attitude he'd be our Ablett.

He was that good

Now on SEN on their Jesaulenko You Beauty segment.

Good listening.

The best way to think of Phil Carman is to think Gary Ablett senior, our version thereof.

Elite of elite. If he had eg Leigh Matthews or Nathan Buckley attitude he'd be our Ablett.

He was that good

He did have Nathan Buckley's attitude - that was exactly his problem.

It's just that Buckley played in a different era where his attitude was a bit more accepted. And Buckley might have been able to suffer fools a bit more / not expect others to reach his own lofty standards / not be so wound up.

I have asked my Dad and he said he was the Best Player he ever Saw but Problem he has s**t for Brains. Cost us the 1977 Flag

He wasn't stupid.

He just needed a coach who could drill into him "control the controllables and don't worry about things that are out of your control" (ie: as all modern coaches do these days)

He was way ahead of his time. One of the few players of that era who would easily slot into our best 22 today.

He wasn't stupid.

He just needed a coach who could drill into him "control the controllables and don't worry about things that are out of your control" (ie: as all modern coaches do these days)

He was way ahead of his time. One of the few players of that era who would easily slot into our best 22 today.

So bit like what Kirby did in the VFL on Saturday?

Some people have said IF Carman came as a 18 Year Old under Hafey he would been more Disciplined

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
He did have Nathan Buckley's attitude - that was exactly his problem.

It's just that Buckley played in a different era where his attitude was a bit more accepted. And Buckley might have been able to suffer fools a bit more / not expect others to reach his own lofty standards / not be so wound up.
Training yes you are right.
I shouuld have been more clear, attitude to being always disciplined on field.
Make the ball the focus not a round head of a player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back