Review Memory lane

Remove this Banner Ad

• Banned
Round 3, 1979.

Collingwood hold a 10 point lead at 3/4 time before North storm home and kick 9-5 to 3-3 to get up by 28 points.

Blight kicks 7.

• Banned
  • Banned
Round 14 1996.

North hosts Carlton at the MCG on a Friday night in the long awaited return match since the Blues belted North in the 95 Prelim on the way to becoming arguably the best premiership side of the modern era.

Both sides have fallen to ladder leaders Sydney over the previous fortnight and have a 10-3 win/loss scoreline when they meet.

Pagan plays funny buggers all over the place, with Duck starting at CHB, as the highly touted Eric Lissenden debuts for North in the key forward post, and Glenn Archer also starts forward.

Corey McKernan drags down 10 marks and has 20 hitouts to give Justin Madden a hiding in the ruck (7 hit outs)

Carlton supporters haven't forgotten about Wayne Schwass knocking Peter Dean out cold in the 95 prelim and boo every one of his 33 disposals on the way to a BOG performance, with North extracting revenge by 55 points.

Last edited:
Round 14 1996.

North hosts Carlton at the MCG on a Friday night in the long awaited return match since the Blues belted North in the 95 Prelim on the way to becoming arguably the best premiership side of the modern era.

Both sides have fallen to ladder leaders Sydney over the previous fortnight and have a 10-3 win/loss scoreline when they meet.

Pagan plays funny buggers all over the place, with Duck starting at CHB, as the highly touted Eric Lissenden debuts for North in the key forward post, and Glenn Archer also starts forward.

Corey McKernan drags down 10 marks and has 20 hitouts to give Justin Madden a hiding in the ruck (7 hit outs)

Carlton supporters haven't forgotten about Wayne Schwass knocking Peter Dean out cold in the 95 prelim and boo every one of his 33 disposals on the way to a BOG performance, with North extracting revenge by 55 points.

Love reliving the glory days by viewing replays of these games away from the finals. The all nighter which followed this, and many other Friday night wins, was a night for the ages (and I remember very little of THAT).

Foxtel are playing replays again, they had Nth vs Essendon Round 17 2010 on the other day / night? (I recorded it and watched it last night).

Jamie McMillan's first game - the standout was that he laid 1 tackle.
Ben Speight's first game - what a pity he had that injury and was never the same after
Ben Warren and Aaron Edwards were good
Supergav meh
Swallow did his usual and tried to drag the team over the line - BOG for Nth
Lachie ok
Wells injured pre-game
Matty Campbell unsighted.
Levi ok
Goldy looked young and pretty average.
McIntosh slow and cumbersome
Scooter ok but it was the week after his father passed so could be excused if he wasn't 100% on the ball that night.
Josh Smith (!???)
No Grima, Ziebell, Wells, Lindsay, Tarrant, Sammy Wright, McMahon, Gartlett or (most importantly) Liam Anthony!

But the biggest ballsup was Brad Scott playing Hale, Goldstein and McIntosh all together, and none of them were great.

Geez looking back the team we put on the park that night was pretty average.

And worst part was another loss to the scum!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 14 1996.

That was a very sweet win... I remember it (the euphoria) very well!

Round 2, 1978.

The last premiership flag to be unfurled at Arden Street.

North plays host to Richmond.

Ross Henshaw plays his 100th game for North.

Blight is BOG with 31 disposals and 3 goals in his Brownlow Medal season, 19 year old Stephen McCann kicks 5 goals in his 7th match, John Cassin kicks 4 goals, and future Brownlow Medalist Ross Glendinning also kicks 4 goals in his second game for North.

Future Richmond champion Dale Weightman is also playing in his second VFL match, as North thumps them by 73 points (25-16 to 14-9).

via the WABAC machine

6690cfa558f1a789cbb7c6bc175fd0db.jpg

Bloody good team on the park that day.
Some say our 1979 team was the best list ever to be assembled in VFL/AFL history. Not hard to see why. 4 current day or future Brownlow medallists in Dempsey, Greig, Blight and Glendinning. A 4 time Magarey medallist in Ebert, a Sandover medallist in Melrose (what an underrated and unlucky player he was) 3 other NMFC Team of the Century players in Schimmelbusch, Dench and Crosswell, 2 Team of the Century players from other teams in Murphy and Alves, making a total of 9 Team of the Century players. Unbelievabe stat. Finished a clear second on the ladder before the filth knocked us off in the Prelim.

Barrassi stated that the 1978 side was his best.

I have always thought so. Glendinning's first year after standing out of football in 1977. Snake Baker was set for a 100 goal year after
his heroics in the 77 grannies. Then Denchy went down with a knee against Hawthorn at Waverley in I think the first game and we ended up
losing to Hawthorn by 3 goals after Crackers got himself rubbed out in the second semi. As a side note I won't watch anything with Basil Simpless
commentating because of his pathetic lack of professionalism with names other than West Australians. However caught a bit of R22 1987 Nth v Car
where we had a Ross Hepburn playing for us and Jimmy Krakouer was his twin brother Phil too many times. If the commentators were race callers they
would have been sacked years ago.

Last edited:
Some say our 1979 team was the best list ever to be assembled in VFL/AFL history. Not hard to see why. 4 current day or future Brownlow medallists in Dempsey, Greig, Blight and Glendinning. A 4 time Magarey medallist in Ebert, a Sandover medallist in Melrose (what an underrated and unlucky player he was) 3 other NMFC Team of the Century players in Schimmelbusch, Dench and Crosswell, 2 Team of the Century players from other teams in Murphy and Alves, making a total of 9 Team of the Century players. Unbelievabe stat. Finished a clear second on the ladder before the filth knocked us off in the Prelim.
Injuries hurt us late in 79. Keith broke his arm late and got rushed back and Dempsey copped a nasty eye injury in the finals.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I have always thought so. Glendinning's first year after standing out of football in 1977. Snake Baker was set for a 100 goal year after
his heroics in the 77 grannies. Then Denchy went down with a knee against Hawthorn at Waverley in I think the first game and we ended up
losing to Hawthorn by 3 goals after Crackers got himself rubbed out in the second semi. As a side note I won't watch anything with Basil Simpless
commentating because of his pathetic lack of professionalism with names other than West Australians. However caught a bit of R22 1987 Nth v Car
where we had a Ross Hepburn playing for us and Jimmy Krakouer was his twin brother Phil too many times. If the commentators were race callers they
would have been sacked years ago.

Didn't help Blight & Alves both outta the G.F. by 1/4 time with a hammy and calf respectively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back