Review Memory lane

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't around for these games but currently watching the 2003 nth vs Richmond replay on fox sports at the moment, I had never seen boomer play before, wow what a guy ! I can see why he is a legend

What's important to understand about Boomer is that he never really slowed down, he was still lightning quick and skillful until the day he retired. He could've easily played another year, maybe two, if Scott hadn't pushed him out. He could've set an unbeatable record for our club, to stand for the rest of time. Brad Scott's greatest sin as coach.

Didn't help Blight & Alves both outta the G.F. by 1/4 time with a hammy and calf respectively.
And I think Crosswell broke his arm in the second semi. So we had some good players missing before the match and then lost Blight (Brownlow Medallist that year) and Alves early. It's all ifs and buts, but gee, to go down by only 3 goals indicates that was one that got away.

I was there, second row from the fence, forward pocket of the Punt Rd end.

I was literally stunned after the siren. I didn't move for a good 5 minutes. A Geelong supporter actually apologized to me.

Still, a brilliant game of football.

Those last 3 minutes

No icing the clock back then

Fml

Thanks for posting one of the worst games of my life

There's a kick into our fwd. line Gaso last q.
We had it on the wing Sthn. stand side. Had two open options both free by metres. Was kicked straight to the Geelong defender inbetween them who had no idea which player to go to. 😢😢😢

Plus the 5.9 first q. 😥😥😥

There's a kick into our fwd. line Gaso last q.
We had it on the wing Sthn. stand side. Had two open options both free by metres. Was kicked straight to the Geelong defender inbetween them who had no idea which player to go to. 😢😢😢

Plus the 5.9 first q. 😥😥😥

It was on Foxtel a while back and I endured the last quarter for the first time on 20 years
Straight down the lines to contest..

I was devastated at the end and thought we had blown it and that 93/94 was our last chance

That sickening feeling of helplessness

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was literally stunned after the siren. I didn't move for a good 5 minutes. A Geelong supporter actually apologized to me.

What still stands out in my mind is how small the MCG seemed that day with the ball pinging from end to end so quickly.

If you’re not playing well there it can seemingly take an eternity to get it from one end to the other. Not that day.

It was an era I believe when footy was at it’s peak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 - 14 Snake ? Remember even Sam Newman saying " we wuz robbed "

32-13 Geelong's way, some resulting in goals, and there were also many obvious North free kicks that were not paid.

Just carrying on from Barassi saying the 78 side was the best one he coached - here is Rd 4 1978 at Moorabbin - this was the 4th of 8 straight wins to start the year. This was a brutal game with the Saints trying some rough stuff but ultimately coming up short 14-16-100 to 17-17-119.

This clip is about 20 minutes of the third quarter from the Sevens Big League replay with Peter Landy and Lou Richards commentating.

Snake if you listen you will hear Lou Richards say at the 2.55 mark the frees are something like 39 to 16 the Saints way and ended up 60 to 32 by the end of the game (I checked and yes thats right). Funny thing was the first 2 goals in the third to North are from frees.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Just carrying on from Barassi saying the 78 side was the best one he coached - here is Rd 4 1978 at Moorabbin - this was the 4th of 8 straight wins to start the year. This was a brutal game with the Saints trying some rough stuff but ultimately coming up short 14-16-100 to 17-17-119.

This clip is about 20 minutes of the third quarter from the Sevens Big League replay with Peter Landy and Lou Richards commentating.

Snake if you listen you will hear Lou Richards say at the 2.55 mark the frees are something like 39 to 16 the Saints way and ended up 60 to 32 by the end of the game (I checked and yes thats right). Funny thing was the first 2 goals in the third to North are from frees.

Enjoy.

60 - 32 some kinda record ?

60 - 32 some kinda record ?

I checked the stats for 78 and it appears the average number of frees per game was around 85. North received 958 in 25 games (ave 38) and gave away 1086 in 25 games (ave 44) - making around 82 per game in North games alone.

As a comparison in 77 for instance North received 971 in 27 games (ave 36) and gave away a league high of an extraordinary 1235 in 27 games (ave 46) so really 60 to 32 was only slightly above the game average for that era.

Was sitting in the pocket about 5 rows back where Ablett took that mark. Still can recall the physical feeling of the air being totally sucked out of me as I dropped my head.... only seconds later to have my oldest brother grab me by the collar "come on, we're getting out of here". We marched up the stairs through all the bouncing Cats supporters and turned to watch the Ablett kick, then kept walking to the train.

Still the best game I've ever seen.

Foxtel are playing replays again, they had Nth vs Essendon Round 17 2010 on the other day / night? (I recorded it and watched it last night).

Wells injured pre-game

But the biggest ballsup was Brad Scott playing Hale, Goldstein and McIntosh all together, and none of them were great.
Probably mixing up my games, but was this the one where Wells got injured in the warm-up and had to be replaced by Hale who had already played a full game for the 2nds earlier that day? Could explain the 3 headed ruck combo.

Or once again could have been Scott being too clever for himself at the selection table.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back