Review Memory lane

May 2, 2001
Melbourne Vic Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Probably mixing up my games, but was this the one where Wells got injured in the warm-up and had to be replaced by Hale who had already played a full game for the 2nds earlier that day? Could explain the 3 headed ruck combo.

Or once again could have been Scott being too clever for himself at the selection table.

Correct Hale brought in after eating a pie in the stands during the warm up when Wells got injured.

Correct Hale brought in after eating a pie in the stands during the warm up when Wells got injured.
Heard he was mid jam donut and coke can when receiving tap on the shoulder

Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was there, second row from the fence, forward pocket of the Punt Rd end.

I was literally stunned after the siren. I didn't move for a good 5 minutes. A Geelong supporter actually apologized to me.

Still, a brilliant game of football.
I think I was in the same area. I remember Ablett only kicked 2 or 3 goals that day, and one was a free kick the umps gave him after he elbowed Mick in the chops near the boundary (right in front of me). Mick retaliated and Ablett gets the f*&%$% free and goals.

On the way out, my mate Russ punched a light tower so hard that I thought he way have broken some knuckles! Believe it or not, I wasn't as devastated as some other games made me feel because I had an unshakeable knowledge that we were coming!

Went back to Arden St after the game for a few beers, we saw Stevo who was so gutted he could barely look at us after we thanked him for his efforts

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Went back to Arden St after the game for a few beers, we saw Stevo who was so gutted he could barely look at us after we thanked him for his efforts

He missed a soda in the last quarter.

The image of a completely shattered Brett Allison lying on the ground is forever fixed in my mind.

He also waltzed in and missed a goal he would normally ice 99 out of 100 times not long before the final siren.

Not sure if this is even possible...

Is there any footage of North coach Wally Carter?

My grandfather will often retell a story about him and I'd love to be able to show him some vision of Wally if possible.

Any help appreciated.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I'd be surprised if any existed.

Here's some pics:

1577103052206.png

1577103269701.png

1577103295565.png

1577103120099.png

Can anyone clarify just why he didnt really make it? I seem to remember he came across too late.

From memory he had to go back for family and/ or business reasons
Pity we couldn’t get him to stay another year or 2, was a gun !

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

desie

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2004
Gumnut Cottage
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Arsenal, GWS Giants
Can anyone clarify just why he didnt really make it? I seem to remember he came across too late.
As I recall he ran a sports store in Adelaide - flew across each Thursday for training and went back of a Saturday night.

Picked up more than 500 possessions across 25 games and polled 9 Brownlow votes so was a pretty good contributor without being a stand out.

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As I recall he ran a sports store in Adelaide - flew across each Thursday for training and went back of a Saturday night.

Picked up more than 500 possessions across 25 games and polled 9 Brownlow votes so was a pretty good contributor without being a stand out.
Yeah I read about the Thursday flights just the other night. Is as big a name, if not bigger, than Malcolm in SA footy.
4 Megarey’s, could play.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

last 5 mins of the thriller against the filth in '08.

Collingwood were coming, and in typical Collingwood fashion, choked.

I remember watching this on TV as a young kid thinking we were done after being 3 goals down. Thomas struggled to find the sticks and we were up against the clock.

giantroo had a vid up on YT before his account got taken down which actually started at the beginning of the comeback. Ed Lower kicked a goal from a quick centre clearance thrust to start a fightback. What a night!

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Here is yet another piece of modern footy history! Saints had only lost one game and it was to the scum after Riewoldt missed to the right after the siren.

Saints had given us a lesson earlier in the year to the tune of 46 points after we kicked the first 5. Then, in this game, we did it again! Kicked the first 5 and then the Saints answered and got back into the game. It looked like history would repeat but with Crocker at the helm temporarily and Petrie (playing one of his best games) to save our arses at nearly every contest, we somehow got home after Riewoldt had a shot from outside 50 that was touched. Brad Scott was watching from the stands as he was bound to become North's next senior coach.

Some St Kilda fans blamed this loss on the umps, but to lose to a side that was 13th on the ladder, that just shows how bad the Saints were on that day.

The scum and us were the only teams to beat St Kilda. Until Geelong beat them in the GF.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Semi Final against Hawthorn at the 'G.

Hawks full of confidence after their close win against the Crows at Marvel. (Telstra Dome at the time)

We were just given a belting from Geelong by 106 points after a promising first quarter at the 'G. We needed to respond badly.

Boomer kicked 4 goals of which his last was kicked towards the end of red time.

Jesse W. Smith had his best game with 27 posessions, 5 tackles and 6 marks. What could have been!

Wells was also electric with 28 possessions and a goal to go with his performance.

Hmac had a very good game with 24 HO, a goal and 23 disposals.

Aaron Edwards took an absolute screamer to go with his 4 goals.

Petrie solid throughout the match with 9 marks and a goal.

Grant had 24 possessions and a goal to go with his solid performance.

etc...

It wasn't a complete performance as there were times the Hawks far too easily got back into the game, but this wasn't going to be a loss after the catastrophic lesson in the QF. What mattered was we wanted it more.

Archer got to see another week of footy.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The Duck puts the Wakelin's back in their box, and Winston gives an entree for what was to follow this season.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
............and if you want to reinforce the fact that Carey is the GOAT, then look no further than ~10:40, when he outpoints 3 opposition players to create a goal out of nothing.

Back