Memory Loss/Forgetfullness

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone else suffered with this from a young age? I'm 22, and it's beginning to affect my personal relationships and work.

I'll have my superiors at work come up to me asking if I've finished with a task, but I'll have absolutely no memory of them even asking even though they definitely did. This mainly affects things said to me, I seem to remember when things are written.

Similarly, I'll be in the middle of a task and just forget why I'm doing it or what I'm trying to achieve.

I've talked it over with my girlfriend, and she agrees that my memory isn't very good. However, I'm able to remember general knowledge and facts so easily, and I excelled at school.

Is this worth going to a GP about, to get a further recommendation, or am I making a fuss about nothing?

Has anyone else suffered with this from a young age? I'm 22, and it's beginning to affect my personal relationships and work.

I'll have my superiors at work come up to me asking if I've finished with a task, but I'll have absolutely no memory of them even asking even though they definitely did. This mainly affects things said to me, I seem to remember when things are written.

Similarly, I'll be in the middle of a task and just forget why I'm doing it or what I'm trying to achieve.

I've talked it over with my girlfriend, and she agrees that my memory isn't very good. However, I'm able to remember general knowledge and facts so easily, and I excelled at school.

Is this worth going to a GP about, to get a further recommendation, or am I making a fuss about nothing?

You should see a GP sooner rather than later, at 22 it doesn't sound to good.

Do you sleep well at night? Do you wake up feeling refreshed? Does your gf complain you snore?

+ see a GP

Do you sleep well at night? Do you wake up feeling refreshed? Does your gf complain you snore?

+ see a GP

Lately, she says I have been snoring. Harder to wake, too.

Lately, she says I have been snoring. Harder to wake, too.

How many of the following do you have? I’ve bolded a couple of things you mentioned so far.
  • Snoring
  • Episodes of gasping, snorting or choking during sleep
  • Excessive daytime sleepiness, fatigue or lethargy
  • Lack of energy and endurance
  • Falling asleep or needing to have a nap during the day
  • Disturbed or restless sleep
  • Poor memory and concentration
  • Morning headaches
  • Dry mouth or sore throat upon waking
  • Irritability, depression, anxiety, mood and behaviour changes
  • Increased frequency of urination during the night
  • Rapid weight gain or difficulty in losing weight

How many of the following do you have? I’ve bolded a couple of things you mentioned so far.
  • Snoring
  • Excessive daytime sleepiness, fatigue or lethargy
  • Poor memory and concentration
  • Morning headaches
  • Dry mouth or sore throat upon waking
  • Irritability, depression, anxiety, mood and behaviour changes
  • Rapid weight gain or difficulty in losing weight

Quite a few, actually

This is vital. I work in two different faculties at my school, so in effect have two different sets of tasks to do each week- I'd be lost without my lists. I write 3 out each Monday morning and even colour code them (Black + Blue- each of the faculties, Red- Miscellaneous) It really helps, I find it helps me to be more efficient as well.

Stress can be a contributing factor. Maybe if you're rushed.

I tend to be good at recalling dates, events and details. Even timelines.

But at work I use a diary and time breakdown to plan ahead or take notes of what happened followed up. As I'd be stuffed recalling who said what to whom and when.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having bad memory can be a positive
You can watch the same movies/TV again as if its new
Forget shitty life experiences with ease

Could even forget why you posted the thread :/

I've always had a bad memory for faces, names (not just of people, but also streets, etc) but some things used to stick more. The further removed from daily life something as the more likely I was to remember it - probably not true, but it seemed that way. It didn't matter much whether spoken or written, anything I might need to know would be forgotten. In some ways it wasn't so bad when I was young, in that I was forced to go back to first principles on things at school and build again.

Now, nothing much sticks, useful or not. And my brain is no longer able to work from the basics as it once could.

Recently I have got to the point where I forget the name of things I've been working on for two months, regularly forget core requirements, have no idea that I built some of it the day before; and most recently basic words have failed me a few times.

I've also had depression for over 40 years, which probably plays a part; and the last 10-15 years have been terrible with insomnia which certainly doesn't help.

Yes, mention it to your GP. At 22 if it is new for you, there is quite possibly some underlying cause(s) and your brain should still be nimble enough to pick up any memory aid techniques.

Have you made an appointment to see your GP yet?

Get on to the doctor mate.
Best to check it out.

Been trying to get my brother to as he displays some symptoms of sleep Apnea.
I could be wrong as I'm no doctor.

Any updates?

Didn't go to the doctor (yet), because I'm as useless as **** on a bull

Was a ~1.5 joint a day smoker. Now I'm not smoking most weekdays which I'm happy about (for health and wallet).

Haven't noticed any improvement as of yet, but still hopeful. I definitely am not getting enough good sleep, which I know can affect memory. I'm hoping this will improve by cutting back on weed, because it's known to block REM sleep.

Didn't go to the doctor (yet), because I'm as useless as **** on a bull

Was a ~1.5 joint a day smoker. Now I'm not smoking most weekdays which I'm happy about (for health and wallet).

Haven't noticed any improvement as of yet, but still hopeful. I definitely am not getting enough good sleep, which I know can affect memory. I'm hoping this will improve by cutting back on weed, because it's known to block REM sleep.

Weed can be terrible on memory.
Also yes it does block REM sleep hence why people dream vividly once abstaining.