List Mgmt. Menegola, Parsons, Cockatoo and Parfitt re-sign

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if this means we are dead in the water at trade period? and rather we go to the draft this off-season?

I was expecting all four to be offered new contracts, but the length perhaps surprises me just a tad.

If I was Kolo I'd want to see how the year plays out. He'd want to know he's a regular in the team and probably more importantly that Lonergan and probably Mackie are moving on next year making his spot in the side more secure.
I'd like to know if I can cut the mustard if I was him. So far no.

Can we now stop with bullshit suggestions that Menegola will want to look at for a new home at years end and that Cockatoo will be part of any trade/deal for Ablett?

And, I think it's great to see all 4 re-signed, especially 3 year deals for Menegola & Parsons.

Oh my God!!! Brace yourself Rabbi, for those inexorable "let's trade Mitch Duncan for some spud from another club" posts in the off season.

It's great news to have some important young players signed. The recruiting team have done an excellent job over the last couple of years. To trade in top end talent and add to the clubs depth in the draft with late picks.

The drafted players still have some areas to improve. But the clubs depth and talent coming through is much better than it was 2 years ago. There's been some misses as well and some players that have left performed/performing better at new clubs. But you can't get it right every time and some like Vardy just couldn't get fit.

I am so happy menegola has been signed for 3 years. He is finally recognised for his enormous work and can settle in to being a mid for us in the long haul. He has so much ability. Go Meners.
Parfitt and Cocky were absolutely essential signings. Future of the club. So much talent there.
Parsons is very surprising. I understand what the club see, but he hasnt yet earned that. Nonetheless I like him and hope he meets the club's expectation.
Brilliant youth keeps.

If I was Kolo I'd want to see how the year plays out. He'd want to know he's a regular in the team and probably more importantly that Lonergan and probably Mackie are moving on next year making his spot in the side more secure.

Maybe but I would have thought a) it would be pretty obvious to Kolo those two guys are going and b) it's not like they ever get picked ahead of him, apart from a couple of weeks in the vfl for fitness earlier this year we always pick Kolo in the first 22 when he's fit. And I can't imagine the money Geelong will offer him at the end of the year will be a lot more than what they would have already offered (which I imagine is decent). I can see for example why Motlop and Menzel are holding out as they could make a lot more money by waiting til year's end and playing well, but I don't see that the same in Jake's case. Unless he is genuinely undecided as to where he wants to be I don't see much benefit for him in holding out.

Anyway for all I know he will re-sign next week.

In other matters I know he is contracted for 2018 but surely GHS would look at trying to move either now or next year as a free agent. With Scooter and Menegola contracted til end 2019 and 2020 and Blicavs a former B & F winner in the leadership group, and realistically he would need to push past one of those three to be a regular senior player at Geelong, you would think unless he is happy just to be a vfl player that he would see it's in his interests to try and move to another club.

Why three years for Parsons?

We don't have a lot of depth in his position, Cockatoo Gregson and McCarthy are injured a lot, Jones is a kid and we don't know if Motlop or Menzel will be here next year. Given Parsons looks a decent player I suspect they were happy to have that depth for 3 years and keep him away from other clubs, even if he is by no means a certain 100 gamer yet.

Well done to Menegola who has obviously had to fight hard at 2 clubs and even here for example the week of his debut game when he had 45 in the vfl the week before and still couldn't get picked until a late change, he has certainly had to do it the hard way and if persistence counts for a lot I think he will make it, and already this year looks a better player than when he first started here, so the improvement is there.

I wonder if this means we are dead in the water at trade period? and rather we go to the draft this off-season?

I was expecting all four to be offered new contracts, but the length perhaps surprises me just a tad.

Not really the players most likely to leave Geelong this year have always been Lonergan Mackie Cowan (the first 3 pretty certain) possibly Motlop and maybe Stanley or Kolo if they force a move, I can't see how these 4 re-signing affects any of those guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard Mitch Duncan in a radio interview last night - he said hes signed up to 2020 - he did add that he had a couple of nice little clauses in his contract ( didnt say what they were of course )

Also said Geelongs new facilities are better/superior to Freos ( him being from WA he must have seen theirs )

Massive result for Parsons.

Can someone more up with it than i explain how this works with him being a rookie? Is the rookie list gone? It is just saying we elevate him end of year?
I thought when i saw this it just guaranteed we'd elevate him at years end to the senior list with one of our last picks even though he has one year more of Rookie list eligibility.

GO Catters

Oh my God!!! Brace yourself Rabbi, for those inexorable "let's trade Mitch Duncan for some spud from another club" posts in the off season.

Rumour has it someone's hot to trade Duncan for Jaeger O'Meara. Hawthorn want the deal done yesterday as Clarko is slowly being driven insane by disembodied laughter coming from the shadows all round him...

Great signings to get done and hopefully more to follow suit soon...

The CBA was the blockage in the cash drain and now its removed the $$ is flowing and the ink should be doing the same.

Will still be interesting to see who holds back and who the club holds back from signing.

GO Catters

I reckon they probably signed Parsons on a longer deal knowing that it wouldn't cost them too much and he would jump at the chance to sign, probably a smart move really if he becomes a decent player with some currency in a year or so.
That's how I see it and in a funny around about way his elbow on Hodge might have helped with the extra year.

Last edited:
It's great news to have some important young players signed. The recruiting team have done an excellent job over the last couple of years. To trade in top end talent and add to the clubs depth in the draft with late picks.

The drafted players still have some areas to improve. But the clubs depth and talent coming through is much better than it was 2 years ago. There's been some misses as well and some players that have left performed/performing better at new clubs. But you can't get it right every time and some like Vardy just couldn't get fit.

Vardy will be playing mostly twos next year I'd say.

Go cats!

Kolo should worry about playing football - he has been shocking and shown no improvement... I really hope it is the glandular that is effecting him.. Woeful disposal, slow, punching when he can take easy marks... Just awful - kind of offensive how people are acting like he is holding the club to ransom and threatening to leave - the door is right there IMO.

My hope is they see some potential in Menegola and Parsons - if there output stays the same it will be a huge mistake to give them such long contracts.. Cockatoo a big risk given injuries but understandable in some ways given signs of talent. Parfitt needs time and confidence in his body - but happy with his signing.

Last edited:
As long as he improves enough to demonstrate he deserves the faith - fever aside.
Was at the clubs every weekend during his rehab and illness early, and even though his first few VFL games. If we can get ablett for him id take it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back