Menegola - what happened there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam in his first incarnations on Hawthorn and Fremantle lists was an athletically impressive, but limited and somewhat reactionary player.

Upon exiting the system, managed to bulk up significantly whilst maintaining his awesome running power which is an impressive feat of discipline given would no longer be able to dedicate himself full time to football/fitness. That year for Subi in 2015, he basically took the bull by the horns and learnt how to lead from the front to influence and dominate a game (whereas previously he was reliant on following others). Basically I think his success today is a product of his experience and there probably wasn't a lot more that either Hawthorn or Fremantle could have done at the time to have brought that learning process forward two to three years.

Sam in his first incarnations on Hawthorn and Fremantle lists was an athletically impressive, but limited and somewhat reactionary player.

Upon exiting the system, managed to bulk up significantly whilst maintaining his awesome running power which is an impressive feat of discipline given would no longer be able to dedicate himself full time to football/fitness. That year for Subi in 2015, he basically took the bull by the horns and learnt how to lead from the front to influence and dominate a game (whereas previously he was reliant on following others). Basically I think his success today is a product of his experience and there probably wasn't a lot more that either Hawthorn or Fremantle could have done at the time to have brought that learning process forward two to three years.
I think you're missing the point Hellgood.

This is the game... We bag the crap out of the fringe players on our list, then when they go somewhere else and play moderately well we bag the crap out of our recruitment and development staff for not recognizing what a star they were in the first place. It's how we get our kicks in Freo BF land ;)

I watched Menegola many, many times at Peel and he was nowhere near best 22 at any stage. The fact that he has reinvented himself is a credit to him as a person, not an indictment on Hawthorn or Fremantle as clubs.

He still isn't that great of a player. There are two high quality midfielders in his team which helps in all sorts of ways. He is a s**t kick and is basically being talked about because he has some sort of story of 'resilience.'

He's a classic sort that comes from the WAFL: runs all day and can get a heap of touches but when you actually watch them you realise they have no footballing nous. Can't make decent decisions or understand the play and their kicks are 40 metres high and 20 metres long. Kane Mitchell epitomised this.

He probably shouldn't have gotten a game because all he was and is is a runner – in that time there were a heap of players who didn't get a debut or more game time who were much, much better footballers and much more to our needs.

Also we sold him up the river a bit. Story goes we told him to leave the Hawks and Freo would select him in the national draft. Well they didn't. He ended up at Freo in the end obviously but you know. Pretty sure he's also entitled and a total footy-head who thought he should walk up into every AFL team – or so say the rumours on here.

But yeah the general idea of this thread of us letting good homegrown players go is interesting and needs to be looked at.

Mitch McGovern is a classic example. His dad played for the club, his brother was starting to really well at the Eagles, and he was 19/20 and playing well in the seniors for Claremont. Even his younger brother... Rory Lobb at Swans too... it's a *in joke that a team from interstate sees potential in these guys when Perth born, Perth playing, and when they are quite literally playing in front of staff members from Fremantle at least twice a season. It's woeful. Yarran had issues but he was actually a really good player out there and did some good stuff in a pitifully bad team – maybe we have been burnt from him...

But yeah the general idea of this thread of us letting good homegrown players go is interesting and needs to be looked at.

Mitch McGovern is a classic example. His dad played for the club, his brother was starting to really well at the Eagles, and he was 19/20 and playing well in the seniors for Claremont. Even his younger brother... Rory Lobb at Swans too... it's a ****in joke that a team from interstate sees potential in these guys when Perth born, Perth playing, and when they are quite literally playing in front of staff members from Fremantle at least twice a season. It's woeful. Yarran had issues but he was actually a really good player out there and did some good stuff in a pitifully bad team – maybe we have been burnt from him...
We had one pock before Lobb was taken. At 17. Lobb was 29. After no playing any u18s and off the back of 3/4 of a season in the WAFL it was a gutsy pick at 29. GWS could afford to do that having already bagged Boyd, Kelly and McCarthy.

We had two picks before McGovern. Weller and Blakely. You can't fault the recruiters there. I wouldn't swap either for McGovern. (Tom Lamb however....)

While everyone goes why didn't you select [insert young WA player name here]. They usually go after we have one pick, sometimes two. People forget that. In those years we were getting one of the top 35 after concessions were factored in. You just don't have that many draft picks.

Looks good with Selwood and Dangerfield in the team. Sure he gets a goal or two every now and then, but he's like a Matt Carr- wasn't the best kick and one-paced. Would struggle for a lesser/rebuilding team as he would be the 3rd best mid. Riding the good fortune at Geelong so far

This is the game... We bag the crap out of the fringe players on our list, then when they go somewhere else and play moderately well we bag the crap out of our recruitment and development staff for not recognizing what a star they were in the first place. It's how we get our kicks in Freo BF land
Every club does this at some point.

Look at Haiden Schloithe's game on the weekend, what was it - 38pos & 4 goals?

I actually expect Josh Deluca to be back at Subi and doing the same thing in the next 2 years.
He's a half-decent, developing midfielder these days - and we don't have the room in our 22 for another one of his type.
It's neither his, nor our fault - he's just going to be a victim of circumstance. Who does he displace our of Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Blakely?

And the exact same thread will bob up on this board when it happens re: Josh.

I actually expect Josh Deluca to be back at Subi and doing the same thing in the next 2 years.
He's a half-decent, developing midfielder these days - and we don't have the room in our 22 for another one of his type.
It's neither his, nor our fault - he's just going to be a victim of circumstance. Who does he displace our of Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Blakely?

By the way Ballard is killing it with Richmond VFL getting 28+ possession week in week out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh, Ballard was always a big accumulator with us too, but he burnt the ball more than most. He was hardly a damaging WAFL player. Deluca at least gets on the goals tally once in a while and is rated by watchers for impacting games.
Can't argue about that, but Haiden Schloithe's is quite interesting, where he rightfully criticism /tweet about suban with his consistent performance in wafl .

Meh, Ballard was always a big accumulator with us too, but he burnt the ball more than most. He was hardly a damaging WAFL player. Deluca at least gets on the goals tally once in a while and is rated by watchers for impacting games.
What is really hurting us, Yarren, was the logical replacement for Mayne's defensive work. Maybe Deluca and Grey are
our best bet for pressure acts and can still impact the scoreboard.

lol. I was at the game. That was more flat track bully than West Coast at Subi.

We had one pock before Lobb was taken. At 17. Lobb was 29. After no playing any u18s and off the back of 3/4 of a season in the WAFL it was a gutsy pick at 29. GWS could afford to do that having already bagged Boyd, Kelly and McCarthy.

We had two picks before McGovern. Weller and Blakely. You can't fault the recruiters there. I wouldn't swap either for McGovern. (Tom Lamb however....)

While everyone goes why didn't you select [insert young WA player name here]. They usually go after we have one pick, sometimes two. People forget that. In those years we were getting one of the top 35 after concessions were factored in. You just don't have that many draft picks.
double lol

Meh, Ballard was always a big accumulator with us too, but he burnt the ball more than most. He was hardly a damaging WAFL player.
I'll never forget when he collected the ball out of the middle and bombed it 50m the wrong way. Was overrated by a lot on here, the fact that Essendon didn't pick him as a top up probably tells you something.

Can't argue about that, but Haiden Schloithe's is quite interesting, where he rightfully criticism /tweet about suban with his consistent performance in wafl .
True, no doubting he's a front running, ducking, tossbag. He'd probably do alright as a topup player these days, say at GC or at a hypothetical mid season draft for a team rife with injuries.

Deluca should be off the rookie list at first chance and given games to see how he goes at the top level. He brings something different than a few of the other clones we have a left footer with a bit of power and grunt.
Cant blame them on Menegola he was given his chances here credit too him what he has done to change his game.

Menegola wasn't immediately picked up, he had to play a year of WAFL first, and he played way better in that year of WAFL than he ever did when he was on Freo's list. From the outside it looked like being delisted from Freo was what motivated him to pull his finger out.

50 bucks says hes out of the game again by the end of 2019
He's just re-signed with Geelong until the end of 2020...

I hope you've put that money aside.

3 year contract is a big commitment from Geelong, he really has not been that impressive...

Of the 3 inside mids we let go I would rank them Barlow ->->-> Deboer -> Menegola

3 year contract is a big commitment from Geelong, he really has not been that impressive...

Of the 3 inside mids we let go I would rank them Barlow ->->-> Deboer -> Menegola
Barlow 29 next year and deboer 28 , menegola only 26 . As long he play his role and free up dangerwood I don't think Geelong concern that much.

Interesting to see that there is a thread on the Geelong board questioning Menegola's ability in finals. Seems Cats fans are beginning to come round to Ross' thinking on him.

I wish Sam all the best and hope he has a long career at Geelong but glad he is not on our list.

Interesting to see that there is a thread on the Geelong board questioning Menegola's ability in finals. Seems Cats fans are beginning to come round to Ross' thinking on him.

I wish Sam all the best and hope he has a long career at Geelong but glad he is not on our list.
Really, they're actually doing that to him? Surely you question the coach, make threads about Motlop, Murdoch (seriously, how is he on an AFL list is astonishing) Taylor (simply no good as a forward) Hawkins (has underperformed for years now), heck even Dangerfield has performed poorly in his last two finals. Menagola would get a game for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back