Coach Men's Coaches 2024 - Ringing in the changes for next year

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Senior Coach: Brad Scott (thread)
reports to the Chief Executive Officer
  • Ben Jacobs – Assistant Coach (Defence)
  • Daniel Giansiracusa – Assistant Coach (Midfield)
  • Brent Stanton – Assistant Coach (Midfield)
  • Dale Tapping – Assistant Coach (Forwards)

Head of Development: Cam Roberts
reports to the General Manager, AFL
  • Travis Cloke – Development Coach (Forwards) & VFLW Head Coach (VFLW thread)
  • Michael Hurley – Development Coach (Backline), Jack Jones Academy & Player Welfare
  • Natalie Wood – Development Coach (Teaching & Education) & AFLW Senior Coach (Coach thread)

VFL Senior Coach: Blake Caracella (VFL thread)
  • Adam Potter – VFL Assistant Coach

Last edited:
Our ball movement hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire either since he's come onboard, though I don't think he was in that specific role this season.

Was backline and team defence in 2023. I remember coz it amused me that he got Truck's old job.

Also me and Ethan discussed it all inside out trying to figure out what to put in the sticky post.

Why would he do it if it's a demotion? It's not like he couldn't pick up an assistant job elsewhere.
I'd say we are trying to prioritise development, knowing full well we have a large cohort of young unproven talent that need to step up if we are going to be anywhere near relevant in the in five years.

How you read it really depend on what Cara is wanting to do - and I don't think we know that just yet. It is possible he just wanted a change from line coaching to overseeing a whole team.

Either way I'm glad we have someone in there who has some credibility.
He won't get the same $$$ we're paying him elsewhere.

He won't get the same $$$ we're paying him elsewhere.
who organises the coaches contracts? would that have been an X Campbell special?

We have form with OP, overpaid & overhyped assistants for a noob senior coach thing though, and Campbell was only the post-saga CEO. Which probably makes it a Brasher special…
So $800k plus a share in a brewery?

who organises the coaches contracts? would that have been an X Campbell special?
I believe a former premiership coach of Blake's was influential in his above average contract.

I believe a former premiership coach of Blake's was influential in his above average contract.
well, Leigh Matthews has a lot to answer for.

Cara reminds me a bit of Tony Shaw, but I remember him as a slick Player, good mark and kick was immaculate. I always assumed he was a quiet, unassuming, inner city type of person(not in a bad way). Never would have assumed he was the coaching type and I’ve seen him train, he’s incredibly motivating and vocal. Who would have thought he’d have one of the best resumes in the league. Good on him, but who knew that’s what would happen back when he was playing for us. It’s like he turned into the Incredible Hulk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone less than excited about Stanton as our midfield coach? Never struck me as a top echelon midfielder, never struck me as particularly bright (based purely on listening to him speak), I understand he is/was a hard introvert to the point he was nicknamed Humphrey when he came to the club (I think in that he never spoke rather than that he wore a vest and bow tie and no pants), and certainly never took our VFL team anywhere as coach (admittedly our VFL team has been a sh*tshow for a long time).

I don't get it. Surely better options out there. Anyone got some positive reviews for him to make me feel better?

Anyone less than excited about Stanton as our midfield coach? Never struck me as a top echelon midfielder, never struck me as particularly bright (based purely on listening to him speak), I understand he is/was a hard introvert to the point he was nicknamed Humphrey when he came to the club (I think in that he never spoke rather than that he wore a vest and bow tie and no pants), and certainly never took our VFL team anywhere as coach (admittedly our VFL team has been a sh*tshow for a long time).

I don't get it. Surely better options out there. Anyone got some positive reviews for him to make me feel better?
He is the assistant assistant midfield coach. He is not a bad operator from what I have seen .
He actually moulded the VFL side pretty well once they sorted the VFL players. They ended up winning more than they lost in the back half of the season.

He has also been the runner.

He is the assistant assistant midfield coach. He is not a bad operator from what I have seen .
He actually moulded the VFL side pretty well once they sorted the VFL players. They ended up winning more than they lost in the back half of the season.

He has also been the runner.
He was… part time VFL head coach and then got a full time gig last year when they combined the development role with the game day role (runner) and appointed Tudor as VFL coach instead.

Now he’s the AFL midfield coach, which is definitely a promotion.

Was also a development coach at Carlton but their situation was a bit odd at the time, with covid and stuff.

What are David Rath's credentials?

Was he responsible for retain possession at all costs, even by tallying 300 more kicks than the oppo and not moving the ball forward?
If you are talking about us then I do not know who designed it but it was done to stop us bleeding from turnovers. Worked for just over half the year. I doubt it is the game plan going forward given we have looked at drafting pace in this draft .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back