Mens final: Hewitt v Safin

Mar 13, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester United
Well done Marat, commiserations to Lleyton.

_40775257_saf_ap_203.jpg

Marat you legend! What a win!! To beat Hewitt on his home ground and home crowd after being a set and 3-1 down and looking gone. Champion effort. Well done to Hewitt on making the final.

That injury break and then Hewitt throwing the tantrum at the line judge changed the game.

I was expecting Safin to crack in the later two sets but he just kept powering on.

Dec 4, 2003
Doncaster
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
i think too many 5 set matches took it out of hewitt also does any know if bec has any clue about tennis also i reckon federer will not be as impossible to beat as we think unreal speech by murat he isnt uphimself like most tennis players

Mead

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Blue Red and Gold said:
Marat at his best I feel, is better than anyone, including Federer.

Not far wrong- he played some astonishing shots today.

Congrats to Marat- extremely deserving winner, and it couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke.

Blue Red and Gold said:
Marat at his best I feel, is better than anyone, including Federer.

Close...i still think Federer is a touch better. Marat still made heaps of unforced errors even in his winning sets. How many times did he hit the bloody net.

Anyone else notice that Hewitt hardly said a word all match.

I thought the lack of composure Safin has displayed in the past might have been his undoing again, however he showed tonight that his come of age.

Hewitt.. great to get there, but beaten by a better oppenent.

Sep 9, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Glenelg, Redbacks, Lakers
Macca19 said:
That injury break and then Hewitt throwing the tantrum at the line judge changed the game.

Agreed. I was thinking at the time, what the hell are you going on about. You are up with the break so why would you do something like that then! :mad:

eastaugh36 said:
Agreed. I was thinking at the time, what the hell are you going on about. You are up with the break so why would you do something like that then! :mad:

But i thought he had matured Easty? What happened?

Jul 26, 2004
rAdelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Leeds United
Hewitt spoke well, but Marat blew him out of the water again, he is a near comedian :D

Couldnt find a nicer bloke IMO, he is probably my favourite player although my patriotism won the day today.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
Safin seems a great guy, the sort of bloke you'd love to have a few beers and a few yarns with.

Sep 9, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Glenelg, Redbacks, Lakers
scout said:
Many have been raving how mentally strong Lleyton is, but Marat has shown he can really hang in there and is a class act as well.

It was always going to depend on which Safin turned up. In the first set it was the bad one but full credit to him for being able to turn it around so quickly.

shiva25

The Frisk
Apr 19, 2002
Shyte Creek
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
LIONS / LIVERPOOL
eastaugh36 said:
There is no comparison to the Hewitt of today and the Hewitt of 6 and 7 years ago. Even I wasn't too keen on him early.
I tend to disagree.Hewitt might have only toned down just a touch but he is still the same old arrogent prick he has always been.Abusing the linesman many times as he did last night was disgraceful particularly the finger pointing one.The linesman were shown to be correct on the replay every time Hewitt questioned their decision and he did noithing more than make a fool of himself.

Back