Mental Health Issues VS Drug Addiction Issues

Remove this Banner Ad

People have very little free will.

You could even say, free will is an illusion.

Most decisions people make, after considering all the evidence, are decisions they were always going to make.

The hardwiring of the brain, and experiences until that point mean most decisions aren't decisions but fairly inevitable outcomes.

It lets people in a good place pontificate over people in a bad place, and attribute it to being better, smarter, harder working stronger willed, etc. It's usually none of those things.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app
Of course people in a good place have made better decisions than those that aren’t in a good place.

So you believe psychologists and psychiatrists are actually fake scammers?
And that they've spent 4-10 years of education to stuff people around?

Anyway, it seems you've made up your mind so I won't pursue further a conversation.

If psychology and psychiatry were held to the same standards of sciences then nothing would be published.

If psychology and psychiatry were held to the same standards of sciences then nothing would be published.
Should be easy then

pick a peer reviewed study into addiction, and point out all the flaws in it. Show us why your conclusions are accurate.

“Diseases are only real if I can see it”

The issues may be connected but the treatment and consequences of each should be different

Imagine “I was on performance enhancing drugs because of my mental health” being an excuse to WADA

Same said with recreational drugs

Of course people in a good place have made better decisions than those that aren’t in a good place.
True, but even then, different people making different decisions in a bad place is often pre determined.

People like to think we are fully rationale autonomous creatures, but everything we know about human thinking says we arent.

True, but even then, different people making different decisions in a bad place is often pre determined.

People like to think we are fully rationale autonomous creatures, but everything we know about human thinking says we arent.
Humans tend to simplify things a bit. Yes, we make life choices. We also make decisions on when to go forward, backwards or sideways.
Unfortunately, we don't pick our life circumstances. We don't pick and choose which genes or which parents to have. Our level of education is probably already predetermined also. A lot of us seem to underestimate life circumstances and how they can dictate our choices and thinking.

Life choices and life circumstances are not one in the same thing.

Humans tend to simplify things a bit. Yes, we make life choices. We also make decisions on when to go forward, backwards or sideways.
Unfortunately, we don't pick our life circumstances. We don't pick and choose which genes or which parents to have. Our level of education is probably already predetermined also. A lot of us seem to underestimate life circumstances and how they can dictate our choices and thinking.

Life choices and life circumstances are not one in the same thing.
They all sound like excuses to me.

Addiction is not a disease.

Addicts aren't ill they just make poor, lazy decisions then try to try to make excuses for it by blaming addiction. No they made the choice to indulge in a particular activity.

Their problems are easy to solve they just need to make alternative choices.

Whereas if someone has cancer they have an actual disease. The tumour won't go away unless it's treated and operated on.

Whereas addiction and a lot of mental illnesses are self diagnosed.
ignorance is bliss
I’ve witnessed someone suffering from depression and addiction caused by childhood trauma for for the last 10 years

Addiction may not be a disease but it is an illness and can be very hard to control. I do not consider this person to be week or lazy and her problem isn’t easy to solve!

I hope no one close to you struggles with mental illness because you wouldn’t be much help!

A lot of the time they go hand in hand.
A lot of people turn to drugs to supress severe trauma in their past.
Addiction and mental health are so circumstantial and personal that they should never be judged.
A changed environment and occupation Has helped a lot From my knowledge but these guys can’t do that The cash is to good and they probably use some of that to help their families.

My recommendation for anyone that takes offence of someone they don’t know doing something that doesn’t effect them to try and channel their energy into something positive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone can do all the drinking and drugs they like I don't care.

But someone who claims addiction is the reason why they continue to do drugs isn't actually sick they are weak.

The reason relapses occur is because they aren't held accountable for their actions. They are given this escape clause of addiction which means they can spend years being a **** up and never be held responsible.

These people aren't sick, they aren't afflicted by a disease they are degenerates that make bad life decisions. They are 100% accountable for those decisions. Addiction didn't make the poor decisions for them.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you've never experienced addiction. This is a shockingly awful take

I often wonder what those players who get caught out by ASADA must think. Careers toasted while they watch other players 'battling addictions/ mental health' for years on end while still playing and collecting paychecks. Must be a frustrating position to be in.

I often wonder what those players who get caught out by ASADA must think. Careers toasted while they watch other players 'battling addictions/ mental health' for years on end while still playing and collecting paychecks. Must be a frustrating position to be in.
Would make you angry af I imagine, just some players "play the game" better than others

Who are you talking about buddy?

first off, my avatar proves that I speak from experience. (I don't smoke, I rarely drink, I despise drugs)

- meningioma, look it up. A tumour that squashes your brain. No one can tell how your brain is going to function when it is being squashed !! It leads to odd/weird/unpredictable.....totally out of this world behaviours.

- how does anyone know I had mental health issues ? No one, not even myself until a brain scan was done.

- I'm not here to argue if someone is faking (mental health) or not...just saying there are situations when there's no obvious cause, and if you're quick to jump to conclusion about some 'faker'...well the faker's brain might not be quite right and it's NOT his fault.

- I've shared my experiences on the Richmond forum many times so won't rehash it here but I think it's worth mentioning that if you notice your loved ones behaving oddly/out of character...and there's no obvious cause, getting a brainscan is not a silly suggestion and it might actually save a life.

(EDIT: yes, GPs, psychs went thru me, put me on antipsychotics...Geez looking back, perhaps it was the antipsychotics that did more damage !!! when all that was needed was an MRI to spot the real culprit, still have the antipsychotics as souvenir)

Last edited:
Addiction is not a disease.

Addicts aren't ill they just make poor, lazy decisions then try to try to make excuses for it by blaming addiction. No they made the choice to indulge in a particular activity.

Their problems are easy to solve they just need to make alternative choices.

Whereas if someone has cancer they have an actual disease. The tumour won't go away unless it's treated and operated on.

Whereas addiction and a lot of mental illnesses are self diagnosed.
I enjoyed your narrative. Have you written any other fiction?

If you are a Lachie Hunter why would go with 'yeah my bad, had a few too many sherbets and crashed the car' when you can play the mental health card?

In my personal experience a lot of this comes down to what you need as a person to 'live with yourself' for want of a better term.

I personally spent a lot of time in my 36 years on this planet putting the blame for my actions on things that were out of my control, or things that I believed were out of my control. Even when I got bollocked by my old man for drink driving home to the farm one night I put the blame on the lack of public transport options in my home town. I blamed lecturers and course co-ordinators for not being lenient enough on me at uni for my failings. The day it changed was when I had to tell my ultra religious parents that I had knocked up a woman from a several night stand. From that moment on I have been very much a stickler for owning my f*** ups. I have had depression and it is an ongoing thing but I am very very careful especially when discussing things with my boys, to separate those issues from the mistakes I make. I absolutely believe that depression makes people drink and take drugs or gamble. What it doesn't do is make you decide to go driving under the influence, or assault someone when you've had a session etc etc.

What an odd little discussion. Hurrah for the modern imperative that all issues must be binary with one completely correct opinion and one completely incorrect.

Across such an immensely complicated and diverse spectrum of circumstances in the realms of drug use and mental health there must be a one size fits all and terribly, terribly "right" ruling? Really?

Its a nonsense to claim that nobody ends up in a bad place for any reason other than their own fault. Such people should be forced to repeat the phrase There but for the grace of god go I 10 times every day.

Its equally a nonsense to award a blanket excuse of "but mental illness" to remove the burden of personal responsibility. Such people might consider that psychiatry believes that every single one of us could, if examined, be diagnosed with one or more defined psychiatric disorders.

What we do know, almost to a certainty, is that the AFL has serially abused the mental illness tag in a cynical manner to tone down "bad optics".

Psychiatry and Psychology ARE science based disciplenes. They are backed by scientifically focused research. Further, Psychiatry asserts that addiction is a disease.

I am a recovering drug addict with over three years clean. I've spent hundreds of hours helping and being helped by other recovering alcoholics and addicts in support groups, and also by professionals. All of them support the notion that addiction IS a disease, and that to live a life free of drugs you must relinquish your perceived control and be helped by others. It is not possible, if indeed you are an addict, to beat addiction on self will.

It doesnt sound like you have much experience with addiction. To be fair, why would anyone with no genuine lived experience of something know what the hell they're talking about? Of course they're going to sound like a clown.

On SM-A305YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Only in extreme, rare cases does someone form a physical dependency to a substance in which abstaining will kill them.

As for something like gambling you can't develop dependency to an activity.

Addiction isn't a disease and addicts aren't sick they are just weak people that have excuses made for their negative behaviours.

So called addicts have complete control of their behaviour.

Does an addict have control of his/her limbs or not? They choose to put the substance into their body or indulge in an activity through a series deliberate actions.

You can cure an addict by simply locking them in a room denying them access to their vice. Presto their "disease" has been cured.
You can lock them in a room but it's utter crap if you think that will cure then. Maybe 1 in 10. Let them back out and they take up the same addiction. If not they replace it with something else.
Why people cannot accept that some people have a different biological make up too thm. They only people who truly understand addiction are addicts themselves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back