Resource Mental Health

Remove this Banner Ad

Fellow Bluebaggers

We have had a few situations regarding mental health to make us give pause of late.

I want to be free and open about my own mental health demons, with depression and anxiety a regular part of my life for the past several years.

There is no shame in this, and there is no scope for people to try to take advantage of it on this forum. This is a safe place. Having said that, I'd like to start a group PM (so up to 20 people) so anybody who would like to discuss issues in a slightly more closed environment can do so.

Meanwhile, I'll leave this thread up on the main board, despite it not being footy related as it will get noticed here. There are threads on the lifestyle board but that is a far larger audience.

Feel free to talk about any problems amongst people you can trust. If you want to be part of a PM, please message me.

Zero judgment.

Fellow Bluebaggers

We have had a few situations regarding mental health to make us give pause of late.

I want to be free and open about my own mental health demons, with depression and anxiety a regular part of my life for the past several years.

There is no shame in this, and there is no scope for people to try to take advantage of it on this forum. This is a safe place. Having said that, I'd like to start a group PM (so up to 20 people) so anybody who would like to discuss issues in a slightly more closed environment can do so.

Meanwhile, I'll leave this thread up on the main board, despite it not being footy related as it will get noticed here. There are threads on the lifestyle board but that is a far larger audience.

Feel free to talk about any problems amongst people you can trust. If you want to be part of a PM, please message me.

Zero judgment.
You’re a gem ODN.

I've always thought ODNs absences might be due to personal issues. Lord knows I've tried to cellar him in the past but failed. I probably could have dropped him a line but didn't. My apologies and my learning.

I've always thought ODNs absences might be due to personal issues. Lord knows I've tried to cellar him in the past but failed. I probably could have dropped him a line but didn't. My apologies and my learning.

I appreciate that. Sometimes it's purely fatigue but that and mental health tend to go hand in hand.

I have had relationships end, start, end. Very hard to find the right fit when you are struggling yourself, and so many things are a trigger.

No apologies necessary anyway.

More of us have been there than you realise. I was 19 (24 years ago), uni, death of grandparent, culture issues causing difficulties with the person I was dating, lost a lot of weight and was borderline anorexic (males get it too).

Was fortunate had an old family friend who was a GP and saw her... one tablet that evening and things changed, the clog in the brain that depression causes makes you irrational and this tablet although artificially makes you feel better it enables you to think, see things clear again.....a literal fog was lifted from my vision and head.

The main thing I learnt is exercise, during the bad period I'd stopped running, doing sport and didn't have that physical and natural release that it provides. Only 6 months or so on the tablets slowly reducing dosage and running again etc I worked through it (also seeing a psych for a few months - having someone not judge is very helpful).

24 years later still doing well, still exercising and still keeping it together! 6000+ days ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going be honest and say that my mental health wasn't where it should be and that's primarily the reason why I've stopped posting as much as what I typically have in the past.

I've gone through a really rough time. My health fluctuating wildly day-by-day, being in one of those gray areas where nerve damage isn't viewed as settled/stabilized until 18-months to 2-years after injury (has meant that I've been unable to get NDIS approval, disability employment support, etc. I finally got DSP last week which was my personal last resort as I'd rather work but I a safety net now), my partner (and her son) continuing to be abused by her ex, going through the family court system (the system is a farce as has so often been documented/written about), going through my own legal battle for compensation, being unemployable outside the home, and so on.

However, despite all of this, I do take ownership of my own mental health. I offer absolutely no excuses (what I'm going through is a lot but it's not an excuse) and have and continue to work tirelessly on the day-to-day and improving my own life not only for myself but for my family who love and have loved me through some very dark times.

I know that I am emerging from the darkest of times. I'll never be the old me but that's not a bad thing. I want to take all of these experiences and find something positive to make of them.

Awesome job The Old Dark Navy's I hope that your health has improved and that things are looking brighter for you and everybody else here.

Fellow Bluebaggers

Zero judgment.

Great initiative

In my experience, both first hand (survivor, clinically depressed) and one who is involved at a national level (Director Australian Suicide Prevention Foundation), any conversation in regards to mental health, at risk individuals (suicidal ideation), the socially isolated is a REALLY GOOD THING!!
Not sure what to do next but definitely count me in the ongoing conversation...
Reckon I've been interested in the ODN's ideas since the good old days of the Blue View(????)

Mental health effects most people at some stage of their lives.
The hardest part for most people is talking about it.
My experience,i went from working with a company for 27 years(a job i loved) to waking up one day in July 2017 with what i thought was the flu. Turned out after one month in hospital,countless tests for the first two weeks to be diagnosed with an Autoimmune disease. The reasoning it was so difficult to diagnose was the fact that i have a disease that is usually found in children and can be fatal in children,extremely rare in the world to be found in an adult. Go me!
So could no longer work after that due to high doses of different meds to treat my life long condition. I had to also battle for DSP for 2 years,which was horrendous.
I'm very fortunate to have a good support network around me but i also opted to reach out to a Psychologist(best thing i did) to talk to someone outside of my network. It was a game changer for me to help deal with Post Traumatic Stress.
Im on certain meds for life to manage my condition and thats ok.
I still have the "what if's" thoughts on a daily basis but im in a far better place than i was in 2017 when i was in a hospital bed fighting for my life with an unknown disease at the time.
What a s**t time to be in hospital and having to watch the Blues thrash the Hawks for the first time in years on a bloody tv! I remember it so well how furious i was at myself for not being at that game to witness it first hand haha.
Stay safe everyone. Dont be afraid to reach out,there is help out there for everyone. An love each other. 💚💚💚💚

Well done, ODN. This is fantastic. Seems to be a common theme for many on these forums and it’s awesome to see people being open and honest about them. For many just knowing that others are going through the same issues, that you aren’t alone, helps support you through the hard times.

I’ve been there. I was depressed from from early teen years to my late 20s. Watching Pagans blues every game they played in Melbourne probably didn’t help :D

But I’m in a good place right now. Haven’t needed meds for over 10 years. Keeping busy, even managed to enjoy the lockdowns playing with the kids. It’s possible, it can be defeated, you can get there. Sometimes drastic change is needed and sometimes it’s something simple. Sometimes, for me, its just realising that being down at times is just a part of life, it’s inevitable, natural and eventually will pass.

tinny, odn asked me to respond on his behalf - he said "thanks, but I owe most of my good blokeness to thy".................message ends..................

There is no doubt you have a good soul mate ;) I know this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back