Resource Mental Health

Remove this Banner Ad

How are you doing today Wick?
So good you came through surgery with answers and a positive plan going forward.
This will be life changing for you. Not far to go now.
Here's to your courage and resilience.

Struggled to sleep last night but that's alright.

Fam came in again. Feeling alright.

Will be making this evening a pizza and Grand Final night. Getting my bed wheeled into the dining room. Buying 6 pizzas and putting them on the table for the footy fans here.

Looking forward to it.

Spinal ward is hilarious tonight.

There's a bloke here, probably 10 years older than me who has lost his biccies.

He won't stop singing. He can't sing. But its after 1am and he's still singing.

Nurses try and stop him but can't.

He's loud. Can hear him down the hall. None of the other patients have told him to shut up. We're all amused.

Hilarious.

Spinal ward is hilarious tonight.

There's a bloke here, probably 10 years older than me who has lost his biccies.

He won't stop singing. He can't sing. But its after 1am and he's still singing.

Nurses try and stop him but can't.

He's loud. Can hear him down the hall. None of the other patients have told him to shut up. We're all amused.

Hilarious.
Don’t complain man. Half of the continent is whinging it can’t go to concerts.

Also, could be worse. It could be my singing…

My mental health is about to cop a challenge over the next couple of days Baggers.....

My dad died this morning and my heart is breaking, have to be Mr Together for my mum and sister, and the grandkids, and even though I've managed a funeral home, this was my dad, my Jezza, my hero.

Not really sure why I'm reaching out here, but you seem like a genuine bunch of people and I needed the anonymity the keyboard provides.

Dirty

Hey Dirty
So sorry you have lost your dad. Sounds like you look after a lot of people emotionally as well as physically.
That is a tough gig but I think it is ok for you to show your love by being vulnerable.
I'm sure all who love and look up to you will understand that you lost your dad who was your rock and your hero.
It's good because it shows them it's ok to show their emotions too.
It's a healing thing.
Tears are good.
I encourage you to go hug your loved ones and let go a little.
It will be alright.
Sending you a gentle cyber hug.
May your dad rest in peace.:blueheart:

My mental health is about to cop a challenge over the next couple of days Baggers.....

My dad died this morning and my heart is breaking, have to be Mr Together for my mum and sister, and the grandkids, and even though I've managed a funeral home, this was my dad, my Jezza, my hero.

Not really sure why I'm reaching out here, but you seem like a genuine bunch of people and I needed the anonymity the keyboard provides.

Dirty

Dirty
I’m so sorry for your loss. You don’t have to be Mr. Together all the time. Mr. Grieving deserves to share his feelings too ❤️

Finally given my planned discharge date.

Next Friday.

One of my good mates here, Lin, gets out tomorrow so we're having a movie night in the dining hall. Horror movies with the lights out. Her choice.

She said something to me today that struck me as honest. That she was nervous and scared about leaving here. You get used to the regimented nature of the day to day here and if somethjng happens you have some of the best nurses in Brisbane just moments away... not so easy at home....

Healthy perspective never hurt anyone.

Next Friday.

One of my good mates here, Lin, gets out tomorrow so we're having a movie night in the dining hall. Horror movies with the lights out. Her choice.

She said something to me today that struck me as honest. That she was nervous and scared about leaving here. You get used to the regimented nature of the day to day here and if somethjng happens you have some of the best nurses in Brisbane just moments away... not so easy at home....

So happy for you Wick, hope everything goes well with both you and Lin!

So happy for you Wick, hope everything goes well with both you and Lin!

Thanks mate.

I want to share her story as I have deep sympathy for her. Lin was selling her car and went with another lady on a test drive. The other lady went over the speed limit, rolled the car three times on the highway, walked away uninjured while Lin suffered a severed spinal cord and several broken middle vertebrae.

I met her at physio. I love our physios to bits. One Friday morning when my partner was present to do physio with me then go home on weekend pass our physio (Lin had same physio) asked if we'd like to join them (Lin and physio) on a walk around the hospital (it's a massive campus with lots of buildings, SIU is 17 for example).

Despite her injuries Lin has worked up to walking on crutches though she's still considered chairbound. This was her first big test. Yes, she's slower as can be expected but it taught me patience. She completed the almost 1km walk throughout the hospital grounds and buildings the physio set for us.

We've done more walks with physio since as she continues to prove the doctors who said she'd never walk again wrong.

However, that was the day I knew this unassuming self-declared "Logan Bogan" Islander chick had courage, bravery, and guts. We've been mates ever since.

Last edited:
Thanks mate.

I want to share her story as I have deep sympathy for her. Lin was selling her car and went with another lady on a test drive. The other lady went over the speed limit, rolled the car three times on the highway, walked away uninjured while Lin suffered a severed spinal cord and several broken middle vertebrae.

I met her at physio. I love our physios to bits. One Friday morning when my partner was present to do physio with me then go home on weekend pass our (Lin had same physio) asked if we'd like to join them (Lin and physio) on a walk around the hospital (it's a massive campus with lots of buildings, SIU is 17 for example).

Despite her injuries Lin has worked up to walking on crutches though she's still considered chairbound. This was her first big test. Yes, she's slower as can be expected but it taught me patience. She completed the almost 1km walk throughout the hospital grounds and buildings the physio set for us.

We've done more walks with physio since as she continues to prove the doctors who said she'd never walk again wrong.

However, that was the day I knew this unassuming self-declared "Logan Bogan" Islander chick had courage, bravery, and guts. We've been mates ever since.
Fantastic and inspiring Wick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks mate.

I met her at physio. I love our physios to bits. One Friday morning when my partner was present to do physio with me then go home on weekend pass our physio (Lin had same physio) asked if we'd like to join them (Lin and physio) on a walk around the hospital (it's a massive campus with lots of buildings, SIU is 17 for example).

Wow. Just debating if I tried to back up for another Aqua therapy session. Looks like I am going. Thanks Wick……I think

Wow. Just debating if I tried to back up for another Aqua therapy session. Looks like I am going. Thanks Wick……I think

One of the most important lessons I've learned here is to push yourself but to do things at your speed and nobody else's.

Good luck mate. You'll get there!

One of the most important lessons I've learned here is to push yourself but to do things at your speed and nobody else's.

Good luck mate. You'll get there!
Pool was packed with a big school group. Option closed. Did have a big session yesterday. Tend to be slack over weekend when little one is home, so thought I should back up. Tide right for my beach "Bargara basin" around mid day. A bit of a splash and wade might be a good compromise.

Enjoy your weekend

Next Friday.

Nothing like home mate with everything in its place
Best of luck

Thanks mate.

Man you just keep on inspiring us with your charming and honest and beautiful anecdotes.

Once Poster of the Year polling here starts, you have my vote/nomination friend.

Please tell Lin we are all proud and amazed for her too. She sounds like such an amazing lady, who has so much heart and mental strength. She (and you) have seemingly gone through more adversity and test of the human condition than I could ever imagine, and I just admire you so much.

Appreciate you sharing your amazing personal experiences in hospital with us Wick, you are a quality person and a major asset to our board friend !

Thanks mate.

Wow bro .... that's a woman's courage and stubbornness all rolled into one right there.

Nothing like home mate with everything in its place
Best of luck
Yeah. A place for everything and everything in it's place. Might be one big freaking mess, but it's yours!
Your own favorite cup! No stupid beeping noises during the night
No waking up for blood pressure tests or jabs.
Bliss!

Dunno if this counts as a Mental Health issue or me being an overly sensitive man-baby but it's now almost a year since we put my beloved tortoise shell baby (cat) Ruby to sleep and I find I am still struggling with her death, even though we got new kitten/fur baby Leela, but I moved out of home months ago, I love her to bits, but still I miss my boobies (my nickname for Ruby) so achingly much, and as much as I get to love Lolly (Leela's nickname), I cannot seem to love or attached to her as I did Ruby.
And I feel terrible/rotten about it. Boobies spent almost 20 long and much loved human years with us, I just miss get so much and haven't had the opportunity (due to lockdown mostly) to truly bond with Lolly.

It hurts. It really does. And I am not ashamed to get overly emotional over animals, especially cats, who are really misunderstood but really loving pets in the wider and general community.

Dunno if this counts as a Mental Health issue or me being an overly sensitive man-baby but it's now almost a year since we put my beloved tortoise shell baby (cat) Ruby to sleep and I find I am still struggling with her death, even though we got new kitten/fur baby Leela, but I moved out of home months ago, I love her to bits, but still I miss my boobies (my nickname for Ruby) so achingly much, and as much as I get to love Lolly (Leela's nickname), I cannot seem to love or attached to her as I did Ruby.
And I feel terrible/rotten about it. Boobies spent almost 20 long and much loved human years with us, I just miss get so much and haven't had the opportunity (due to lockdown mostly) to truly bond with Lolly.

It hurts. It really does. And I am not ashamed to get overly emotional over animals, especially cats, who are really misunderstood but really loving pets in the wider and general community.

The loss of a pet, especially with one that has lived for as long as Ruby did, is sure to leave a hole in your heart.

It's very much mental health. It's trauma, loss, and grief all rolled into one.

It's normal to have loved one animal so much that the next one that comes into your life has a difficult time finding as much attachment as the beloved pet.

That's human. Attachment builds over time and although it may never reach the level that Ruby had doesn't mean for a second that you don't love the new pet. It's a different type of love. A different type of attachment. Like any relationship, they're all different.

Honestly, I find strength in your ability to recognise your attachment levels as reassuring. If anyone told me that they had the same level of attachment to a new pet as one that was part of the family for two decades abnormal.

You cannot transfer the love of one animal onto the next. It'd be like me telling you that my ex wife (had I had one) was replaced immediately hy a new partner.

If it's causing significant pain perhaps consider talking to a grief counsellor. Even a session or two may be beneficial.

I've probably rambled on too much. Just my thoughts mate.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
As you know, I like to have a joke and be a bit of a sh*t stirer normally, but I didn’t know this thread existed, and credit to those who created it.

I’ve been a psychologist for over twenty years, in private practice, and I take mental health very seriously. I’m hoping I can contribute something to this really important thread, and maybe something I post can help someone, even in a small way.

Anxiety has been mentioned a few times here. Firstly, please understand anxiety is not a flaw. There’s nothing “wrong” with you if you feel anxiety. It is a vital part of our survival. Anxiety is what stops us taking another step if we’re on the edge of a cliff. Anxiety becomes problematic when it’s prolonged, and impacts our ability to function in everyday situations.
If you line up a thousand individuals who suffer with anxiety, it’s very possible each of those people will have their own very specific circumstances that have led to their anxiety.
However, there is one thing they will all have in common. UNCERTAINTY. Anxiety feasts on uncertainty. And uncertainty feasts on our anxiety. Our anxiety ignites our panic centre (the amygdala) and creates an “elaborate production” when it grips us. It’s lights and sirens, and car chases and alarms going off. But not words. Just the production. We’ve all heard the expression “fight or flight response”. This is quite literal. Our panic centre wants us to fight for our life, or run for our life. In order to ensure we limit ourselves to these two options, our amygdala starts to shut down the thinking, reasoning part of our brain. It does this to preserve energy, and prevent us from assessing any other options. In the majority of these cases, the “production” is significantly disproportionate to our reality.
Every person is different, and how they manage anxiety will depend on their unique circumstances, strengths, weaknesses, abilities, etc.
However there are a couple of things everyone can do to immediately address moments of anxiety.
1. Breath. I’m not saying meditate, or ground yourself (although these are great techniques for many people). What I’m referring to here is to find a breathing exercise that you can implement. There are a number of these, and you can choose one that works for you. I like the 3,4,7. Breathe in for the count of 3, hold for 4, out for 7. This does two things…
A) Regulating your breathing lets your mind know that you’re not in any physical danger.
B) The fact that you need to count, ignites the thinking part of your brain (frontal cortex), which has been “turned off” by our panic centre.

This won’t eliminate the anxiety, but it gives you the best opportunity to deal with it in the moment. You can now “translate”.

2. Translate: Now that you’ve brought a level of rationale, you can begin to translate. Ask yourself questions, and answer them. Don’t accept vague, generalisations as answers from yourself. Be specific.
“Why am I anxious right now?”
“Because of the crowd”
“What about the crowd?”
“There’s too many people”
“Can they hurt you?”
“No”
“Then what is it?”…

You do this until you can find a sharp point. You sharpen your answers until you find the real source of the anxiety. In the majority of cases, you’ll find the “production” is completely disproportionate to the sharp answer you’ve established. This will calm you. It will also leave you feeling “silly”, but that’s a good thing, because your mind will start to see your anxiety as “silly”, and therefore much less frightening and powerful.

3. Bring as much certainty into your moment as possible. Again, the anxiety and uncertainty feed off each other. So create certainty in any small way you can. Check the time, that’s certain. Look at a picture of a loved one, that’s certain. Any small thing that is unequivocal.

These techniques are not a magic “cure” to anxiety. And you should work with your mental health professional to understand the underlying cause of your anxiety. But they will help you remove some layers of anxiety in a moment. Consistency over time, and they become easier and easier to do. And they can make a significant difference to your immediate situation.

Again, these are just small, handy tips that can help in a moment. Not a magic cure. Please continue to work on managing your anxiety in ways that work for you.
Hope this helped, even a little.

brilliant post, and can confirm these have worked for me , especially the breathing techniques. I like the 3,4,7 technique too. For those that don’t understand, your out breath needs to be longer than your in breath, and slow. Thank you for your hindsight.

Took some time and a bit of courage, but I've finally started seeing a psychologist recently about my ADHD/OCD/anxiety/EverythingIsWrongWithMyHead-itis. :grinv1:

Well it turns out her husband is an ex-Carlton player, but she won't tell me exactly who until our next session. (that's one way to keep me coming)

In my head I'm thinking "What's Kouta's wife's name?", but knowing my luck she's probably someone like Darcy Lang's wife instead!

Did you ever find out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back