Mental Illness - lets help smash the stigma

Remove this Banner Ad

The more we talk about this sort of thing the more likely it is that others will feel comfortable and safe enough to do the same. I would hate to feel that someone on here feels like they're alone and don't have anyone that they can reach out to...and if that's the case, PLEASE PM me. No one is ever alone.

Took me a long time to seek help and talk with others. This past month I've seen a big change in myself and I feel like I'm getting back to the individual that I used to be. I implore anyone feeling down to talk to someone and seek help.

The wedding on Sunday...and I miss my Nana :( she was really close with my brother and it's really rough on all of us that she's not going to be there
The brother's wedding this weekend, hope it all goes well MEB. I am sure it will :)

The wedding on Sunday...and I miss my Nana :( she was really close with my brother and it's really rough on all of us that she's not going to be there
In regards to the wedding, its a day of celebration. You'll be so busy doing stuff that you won't have time to be anxious. Enjoy it and be sure to tell your brother and his soon to be wife to take time to sit back and enjoy it, the day goes too fast.

Feel like there's a big weight on my chest.

It's funny you say this because the day of my sisters wedding, I turned into the crazy one and she was the calm one. It was the day after Black Saturday and their celebrant lived in Yea and cancelled the morning of the wedding because if she left Yea, she probably wasn't going to be allowed back. On top of that, mum had ordered lots of catering because as wogs do, they visit the bride to be parents house on the day. Folks fridge blew up on Black Saturday so I had to ring around mates to see if they had room on their fridges for food and flowers!!

I'm sure nothing will go wrong for u though :)

It's funny you say this because the day of my sisters wedding, I turned into the crazy one and she was the calm one. It was the day after Black Saturday and their celebrant lived in Yea and cancelled the morning of the wedding because if she left Yea, she probably wasn't going to be allowed back. On top of that, mum had ordered lots of catering because as wogs do, they visit the bride to be parents house on the day. Folks fridge blew up on Black Saturday so I had to ring around mates to see if they had room on their fridges for food and flowers!!

I'm sure nothing will go wrong for u though :)
My philosophy on things like that is that nothing can be done to avoid it and you make what you can of the day.

In fact if something crazy like there wasn't any power at my wedding or something, it would be a great thing to look back on in the future and laugh about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I keep a level head by only worrying about things that i can personally affect/change. If i can't do anything about it, then s**t happens.

I flip flop between the two to be honest, but I am slowly getting better at not letting things worry me I have no control over.

I flip flop between the two to be honest, but I am slowly getting better at not letting things worry me I have no control over.
Have only just noticed this thread, I really need to visit the Blue Room more often...

Great thread idea HBF, I too have had issues with depression and anxiety in the past as you are aware of via our discussions.

I may have visited this thread quite a bit over the past couple of months had I realised its existence earlier as things have been very stressful and hectic for me lately which has also caused some anxiety.

Hope things are going well for you at present.:thumbsu:

Last edited:
My problem is that I'm a total control freak.
I like to be in control also. That said, it's really only in situations that i can realistically change and affect. If it can be done my way, generally i like it don'e that particular way. It's the separation of those situations from the ones that we have no control over that can be hard, and the feeling of helplessness when that happens can often be the most difficult to deal with because we can go over and over situations looking for ways we could have done something.

I've had a lot of s**t go down in my 49 years and i can honestly say that I have never suffered depression only sadness. I didn't even get depression when told I had breast cancer and maybe secondary cancer. My mum died when I was five, my grandfather who I was really close died a year later then my grandmother his wife died when I was 16. I've been bullied at work and my way of dealing with it, report it if nothing gets done leave, life is too short to hang around with crap people. I rent as I can't afford to buy my own home but at least I have a roof over my head.

Have only just noticed this thread, I really need to visit the Blue Room more often...

Great thread idea HBF, I too have had issues with depression and anxiety in the past as you are aware of via our discussions.

I may have visited this thread quite a bit over the past couple of months had I realised its existence earlier as things have been very stressful and hectic for me lately which has also caused some anxiety.

Hope things are going well for you at present.:thumbsu:

All good for me at the moment JK.
It was only recently when it finally clicked in my head that i'm going to have anxiety for the rest of my life and now just accept it as part of my life. Previously I tried to fight it and think "why me".

Talking to a number of people (including yourself) has helped. If I could change one thing it would be that I talked about my anxiety much sooner than I actually did. I think it would have helped me no end.

I've had a lot of s**t go down in my 49 years and i can honestly say that I have never suffered depression only sadness. I didn't even get depression when told I had breast cancer and maybe secondary cancer. My mum died when I was five, my grandfather who I was really close died a year later then my grandmother his wife died when I was 16. I've been bullied at work and my way of dealing with it, report it if nothing gets done leave, life is too short to hang around with crap people. I rent as I can't afford to buy my own home but at least I have a roof over my head.

I'm sorry to hear about all the heartache you've had to endure JR :( it's probably what has made you strong!

All good for me at the moment JK.
It was only recently when it finally clicked in my head that i'm going to have anxiety for the rest of my life and now just accept it as part of my life. Previously I tried to fight it and think "why me".

Talking to a number of people (including yourself) has helped. If I could change one thing it would be that I talked about my anxiety much sooner than I actually did. I think it would have helped me no end.
I think we are all guilty of that HBF...

Unfortunately we are much wiser and understand it more after the fact, but better late then never, some people are not that lucky.

Glad to hear your all good at the moment.

Thought I'd posted in this.

I've been diagnosed with having a Social Anxiety disorder and clinical depression.

Must admit, I can deal with it a whole lot better now than I could a couple of years ago. I'm afraid of change and when I left year 12, I was a complete mess for months.

Now I deliberately make sure I'm as busy as possible so I don't think about it.

Work has been great for the social anxiety as well, I make presentations at work all the time now - 2 or 3 years ago I would have been sick at even the thought of it.

I'm not sure it's something I'll ever fully beat but I can manage it and make sure it doesn't effect me as much.

Good on you HBF and anyone else who comes forward to share their issues.

I'm lucky enough to say I don't have any such mental struggles but do have my own physical issues which need to be addressed.

It's not always easy to share the issues one has so I commend anyone who does so. It may not cure things but sharing with people who care to listen goes a long way to soothing the soul.
You follow Carlton. You have plenty of mental struggles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back