List Mgmt. Menzel re-signs for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gysenn

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
There's consistent rumours of Devon Smith to the Cats, alongside Ablett. Both would be touted to play forward for the Cats. Both would need to be traded for. That got me thinking.

As mentioned above, I too would hate the club for doing so.

TEDDY24INC

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Mt.evelyn
AFL Club
Geelong
There's consistent rumours of Devon Smith to the Cats, alongside Ablett. Both would be touted to play forward for the Cats. Both would need to be traded for. That got me thinking.

If you fleetingly, even for 1 second think that the club would be entertaining this, you either have been smoking meth or simply think the club is run by people smoking meth

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey

After all the club and Menzel have put into each other, I can't see him ever being let go in his prime.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory

Devon Smith is expecting to resign mid year so I doesn't sound like he's leaving GWS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Menz is a harder proposition to consider going forward, but Id still get it done. Based in 2017 footy - hell yes.

GFC are going one short on the senior list and Menz is beyond high risk for obvious reasons. That said, he is back and with a vengeance.
I would go this way. One year deal 350k or he gets a 2 year deal 550k or something like that.

The premise being that his one year deal carries more $ but less risk for the club. The other gets him longer tenure, but less overall $$ based over the 2 years than the one year being doubled. The club gets a bit of $ protection in the 2nd year and it still has a list spot it can fill- granted for little money - should the Voldemort of unthinkable events occur.

Go Catters

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
By Voldemort, do you mean my X? cause she is banished.

Don't mind the idea of Devon Smith, but not as trade for Menzel. Not sure who we'd trade for him that they'd want so I'd say its pretty moot anyway.

Menzel is a free agent so i imagine we will offer him a new deal (if nothing else that gets us a FA compo pick whereas if we dont offer a contract we wont get a compo pick). Its just up to him if he decides to stay which i imagine he will.

Secondly because of the knee risk he will be on short term contracts and low $ so moving him frees up very little cap. If we wanted to free up cap for ablett we would let motlop go as FA instead who is on serious $.

No offense mate but the rumour makes no logical sense.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Menzel is a free agent so i imagine we will offer him a new deal (if nothing else that gets us a FA compo pick whereas if we dont offer a contract we wont get a compo pick). Its just up to him if he decides to stay which i imagine he will.

Secondly because of the knee risk he will be on short term contracts and low $ so moving him frees up very little cap. If we wanted to free up cap for ablett we would let motlop go as FA instead who is on serious $.

No offense mate but the rumour makes no logical sense.

Agree with all that.
It would be a parabellum situation for the club..they would have to baton down the hatches and prepare for war. Trading Menzel to get Ablett in would make for more trouble than it would be worth. It would be one thing if Menz left because someone offered him a Godfather deal that we couldnt match and he felt that he had to take it for his future security , quite an other if the club pushed him out. Really it would make little sense after all these years to now let him go for a a couple of years with Gary.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Menz is a harder proposition to consider going forward, but Id still get it done. Based in 2017 footy - hell yes.

GFC are going one short on the senior list and Menz is beyond high risk for obvious reasons. That said, he is back and with a vengeance.
I would go this way. One year deal 350k or he gets a 2 year deal 550k or something like that.

The premise being that his one year deal carries more $ but less risk for the club. The other gets him longer tenure, but less overall $$ based over the 2 years than the one year being doubled. The club gets a bit of $ protection in the 2nd year and it still has a list spot it can fill- granted for little money - should the Voldemort of unthinkable events occur.

Go Catters
He deserves a lot more than 350. Atleast 500 a year. S selwood is on 400. motlop on 500-600.

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong

Go Catters
I would consider some incentives on top of that to sweeten it. But as with all KPIs they can drive unintended behaviours. For example if he got a bonus for playing X games and kicking Y goals he might achieve both to the detriment of the team and his health. So in principle good, in practice hard.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I would consider some incentives on top of that to sweeten it. But as with all KPIs they can drive unintended behaviours. For example if he got a bonus for playing X games and kicking Y goals he might achieve both to the detriment of the team and his health. So in principle good, in practice hard.
Just wildly speculating but they could always tie the KPIs more to averages or some other sustained measure of performance in games rather than raw numbers. Encourages him to only go in cherry ripe.

I don't much care for performance indicators myself, but that could just be a result of personally being a consistent disappointment ;)

Feb 2, 2011
Hell
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers, Celta Vigo, LA Rams

Motlop to GWS and pick to Gold Coast.

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Just wildly speculating but they could always tie the KPIs more to averages or some other sustained measure of performance in games rather than raw numbers. Encourages him to only go in cherry ripe.

I don't much care for performance indicators myself, but that could just be a result of personally being a consistent disappointment ;)
Yeah KPIs are great IF they are the right ones. And if you can control the outcome of the KPI. Those two conditions limit the correct KPIs to only a handful.

Son_Of_God29

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Borussia Dortmund
Menz will sign a new contract- hes going absolutely no where - FWIW i'd love to see him in a Forward line with Gazza & Dev Smith which i think will happen

Gysenn

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
***Completely baseless and unsubstantiated rumour alert***

I've been told Geelong don't plan to offer Menzel a new contract. The reason behind it is supposedly the all-out push the Cats plan to make to accommodate Ablett. Despite my obvious desire to see Ablett back home (see profile picture), I certainly wouldn't want to sacrifice somebody like Menzel to make it happen.

I have absolutely no idea whether there's any truth to this. I don't know what their source is, and I doubt it's true.

However, for the sake of a discussion - has anyone heard the same? Does anyone think the same? Can we see there being any truth to this scenario?

Get off the meth mate.
Maybe keep this sort of nonsense to the Facebook group TBH.

What utter rubbish.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-02/sharpshooting-cat-wont-rule-out-a-return-to-sa

Sharpshooting Cat won't rule out a return to SA

OUT-OF-CONTRACT Geelong forward Daniel Menzel is not ruling out a return home to South Australia, despite saying he is happy at the Cats.

"It's one that I'd be lying if I said you don't ever think about it," Menzel said.

"It's a business and my family's all back there but at the same time the club (Geelong) has been so good to me.

"We haven't had contract talks at the moment and I'll leave that to my manager. He'll come tap me on the shoulder soon enough no doubt.

"I do love getting back home, I really do, and I enjoy catching up with mates and family back there, but I think I have a pretty good balance too. I'll see how it plays out. I think I'm happy with how things are at the moment."

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::'(:'(:'(

Daniel McL

Brownlow Medallist
May 21, 2014
ACT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-02/sharpshooting-cat-wont-rule-out-a-return-to-sa

OUT-OF-CONTRACT Geelong forward Daniel Menzel is not ruling out a return home to South Australia, despite saying he is happy at the Cats.

"It's one that I'd be lying if I said you don't ever think about it," Menzel said.

"It's a business and my family's all back there but at the same time the club (Geelong) has been so good to me.

"We haven't had contract talks at the moment and I'll leave that to my manager. He'll come tap me on the shoulder soon enough no doubt.

"I do love getting back home, I really do, and I enjoy catching up with mates and family back there, but I think I have a pretty good balance too. I'll see how it plays out. I think I'm happy with how things are at the moment."

You said Geelong don't plan to offer Menzel a contract at all which was and still is completely ridiculous.

Bit of a gap between GFC not offering him a deal and him saying he likes to go home and could do more of it.

Go Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back