List Mgmt. Menzel re-signs for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well! Walking out on the club after we've stood shoulder-to-shoulder with him for so long if we offer him a reasonable contract would be the act of a douche bag and I don't think he is that.
He's allowed to do what he wants given how much he's put himself through. Being away from your home state, your family and your mates from 18 to 26 is a long time and supporters forget that footballers are only human.

Great idea, who needs a medium forward scoring at the rate of 2.5 goals a game.
After all, even that blonk Johnson managed to do that one year.

Anyway, it's a complete non-issue.
If he's expecting a huge long term contract i reckon he's dreaming, if he gets that elsewhere then we shouldn't stand in his way. The Cats have invested enough IMO. I hope he stays for another 2 or 3 years and repays the faith and support that was given to him.

Funny, that's what the club suggested in its leak to the Hun on Thursday night.

I would say maybe offer a base of 3-400k (depends what the salary cap becomes) and then load the contract with incentive clauses e.g. say 2 years can become 3 if he plays 14 games in each year, bonus payment if he kicks 30 goals a year etc. He is likely to hit those marks if he stays fit so it gives him more money but limits how much money we have to pay out if he has a career ending injury. No sensible list manager is going to offer a 3-4 year deal at 500kpa without additional protections to a guy with 4 knee recos, no other club would sensibly offer him that either.

I would say maybe offer a base of 3-400k (depends what the salary cap becomes) and then load the contract with incentive clauses e.g. say 2 years can become 3 if he plays 14 games in each year, bonus payment if he kicks 30 goals a year etc. He is likely to hit those marks if he stays fit so it gives him more money but limits how much money we have to pay out if he has a career ending injury. No sensible list manager is going to offer a 3-4 year deal at 500kpa without additional protections to a guy with 4 knee recos, no other club would sensibly offer him that either.

I doubt whether a club (or player manager, for that matter) would risk incentivising a contract on the basis of goals kicked; more likely, something such as b&f votes.

I doubt whether a club (or player manager, for that matter) would risk incentivising a contract on the basis of goals kicked; more likely, something such as b&f votes.

Fair point but same idea still. You need to gove him decent money but protections to limit the base payout if he has to retire.

Why can those two things not be one and the same?

Geelong are chasing Ablett, but need cap space to land him.

Menzel (hypothetically) wants to return to his family, and is chasing a new deal that would take up significantly more cap space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They're two different things. It seems as though you've been hanging out with the window lickers so much that you've turned into one yourself. Too many sleep overs with Teach I think...

Geelong is going to offer him a contract.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/4028ffe28b76b1cc54d51c14f086a474

The AFL website article is just a case of him keeping his Adelaide interviewers happy on their crystal set radio station.
IMO it's simply a case of some media manipulation on Menzel's part in order to get the most out of his next deal with the GFC. He'll know that Hocking will be reluctant to offer any long term deal and also that this next contract will be his best chance in trying to secure one.

IIRC there was a hold up in his last negotiations with the club in and around the length of the deal and it seems as though this time around he's going to be more stern in what his demands might be. I have no problem with that.

I'm 100% confident he stays. Not quite sure why people insist on seeing a negative when he mentions talks are about to start and he is happy here. The talk of home was only brought up becasue he was asked a question

Do you really need to ask this lol!

When one has an agenda bias towards the -ve, they see it ( it being a general answer to a question about being at home) as -ve and latch onto it. Just another chance to express their inner Eeyore.

Go Catters

I think he probably deserves 2 years at 400k.
If he was 21 with no injury history he'd be worth more than that.
He'd be worth a lot more than that at his current age with no injury history.

The issue is that he does have that injury history, and it's something that needs to be constantly managed and that constantly lingers.

It'd be crazy to let Menzel go, despite his knees. I don't know how to properly describe it, but he moves around the ground and handles the ball with abnormal ease. SJ does it. Darryl White was another one. They almost float on the ground. Got to hang onto players like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Menz did well out of the club initially.

The club is doing well out of him recently and currently.

The SC is increasing and he has earned a bigger share of it.

I still think an 800k deal over two years with an option for a third at 500 is realistic.

A this point, if the Voldemort of events occurs with him then so be it. He's 2 years removed from his return to AFL footy pretty much.

If he wants more than that, id be surprised if he left.

GO Catters

I tell you what, we don't want to lose Menzel, we really lack depth in the forward department. As shown in the VFL today.

Do you really need to ask this lol!

When one has an agenda bias towards the -ve, they see it ( it being a general answer to a question about being at home) as -ve and latch onto it. Just another chance to express their inner Eeyore.

Go Catters

Eeyore was an ass, wasn't he?

That is more than a generous offer...Menzel is a lucky man!

Menzel lucky hey? Well that's an interesting take.

Menzel is a star...I think Daz's suggestion is on the money ( so to speak)...800 over two years with a 500K - 550K option for year three.

When Menzel got the ball over the back and was running into open goal beginning at the 50 metre mark, there was never a doubt that he'd slot it. You keep players like that.

Menzel lucky hey? Well that's an interesting take.

Menzel is a star...I think Daz's suggestion is on the money ( so to speak)...800 over two years with a 500K - 550K option for year three.

When Menzel got the ball over the back and was running into open goal beginning at the 50 metre mark, there was never a doubt that he'd slot it. You keep players like that.
Interesting, but true considering where he has been with four knee reconstructions. To still be playing and receive a $400 k offer from any club is more than lucky. No doubting his ability, but he is one unlucky moment away from it all ending. That's my take.

Every player is one unlucky moment from it all ending.

While i get where your coming from...luck was a minor factor in Menzel's recovery IMO....it was more determination, belief, bloody minded desire and gut busting work to reach where he believed he should be.

He deserves every penny he can get.

Menz did well out of the club initially.

The club is doing well out of him recently and currently.

The SC is increasing and he has earned a bigger share of it.

I still think an 800k deal over two years with an option for a third at 500 is realistic.

A this point, if the Voldemort of events occurs with him then so be it. He's 2 years removed from his return to AFL footy pretty much.

If he wants more than that, id be surprised if he left.

GO Catters

Good summation.

I doubt any other club would be "gung ho" with a contract offer In Dan's case. Even if they did I too would be surprised if he took it.

He is a standout young man with integrity, an excellent football brain and I suspect a head full of footy ideas. He is very articulate and already has lots of "after football" opportunity ahead of him because he is a unique player. He has a football story like no other.
A lot of that opportunity is based in Victoria IMO.

Menzel has much to offer our club even if he does go down again. He would make an excellent VFL coach (after yesterdays effort I suspect the players are not with O'Bree) which would open more opportunities in that field. Less obvious and a bit out there is the possibility of work as an ambassador / mentor for the AFL working with young players in danger of losing their grip on AFL footy for whatever reason ( mental health/injury/poor life choices etc) or other areas the AFL need to massage.

In the meantime I will just relax and enjoy the fact he is playing well and doing the hoops proud. Again.

"Menzel is out of contract at the end of the season, but refuted the possibility of moving back home to Adelaide.

“Anyone who is out of contract will be asked questions, and anyone from a different state will be too,” he said.

“I’m really happy with Geelong, with the balance I’ve got. The club has been so good to me and it’s nice to repay them as well.

“Now that the deal is done, the CBA, I’ll speak to my manager.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back