List Mgmt. Menzel re-signs for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
one thing about dan is that his much better then mccarthy, gregson and that other guy lang
Better bag of tricks but I wouldn't say he's any more important. I wish we could have a couple of those in the side too.

Better bag of tricks but I wouldn't say he's any more important. I wish we could have a couple of those in the side too.
To be fair gregson had a great debut, then injured. Hardly been on the list for 5 years like Linc and Menz

A few have mentioned that Menzel was injured reasonably early on and struggled to cover the ground as a result. I wasn't at the ground and didn't notice it when it happened, though I was aware that he was pretty quiet.

These stats were shown in the Motlop thread and seem to suggest that he was moving around alright, or at least not hampered too much by injury - particularly the second one. To be able to cover that much ground (almost the most of any player), he can't have been too hurt:

28a88dfaa8313c014f5d0eeab29e5953.jpg

8a52c3ec12d5971a1883630b7e2635b8.jpg

If we ship him out, we better replace him with some genuine firepower. For mid sized forwards on the market, I wouldn't have high hopes of achieving that.

We'd just about have to put all our eggs into the Little Gazza basket in that case, wouldn't we? And Gazz probably needs as much injury management down time as Menzel does these days.

A few have mentioned that Menzel was injured reasonably early on and struggled to cover the ground as a result. I wasn't at the ground and didn't notice it when it happened, though I was aware that he was pretty quiet.

These stats were shown in the Motlop thread and seem to suggest that he was moving around alright, or at least not hampered too much by injury - particularly the second one. To be able to cover that much ground (almost the most of any player), he can't have been too hurt:

28a88dfaa8313c014f5d0eeab29e5953.jpg

8a52c3ec12d5971a1883630b7e2635b8.jpg

He got hurt probably midway through the 4th quarter. So I'd be intrigued to see how much ground he covered after it, but still 14.3k is very impressive.

To be fair gregson had a great debut, then injured. Hardly been on the list for 5 years like Linc and Menz

Or seven years like someone who shall not be named.

Gregson showed more in his first year than Cowan ever has. Played more games in his first year than Cowan ever has too.

You will get no argument out of me on that one.

Easily more important. There is a couple of class differences between them. Its like comparing Dangerfield with Menegola to be honest.
Yes he's better but are crying out for forwards who have speed, can crumb, provide a lead up option, and forward pressure.

Yes he's better but are crying out for forwards who have speed, can crumb, provide a lead up option, and forward pressure.
Not sure any of Gregson, Lang or McCarthy really do those things, though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing him go would kill me. I love him as a player, I love his attitude and I love his story.

I echo the consensus here - his marking and goal sense is spectacular. His defensive pressure is non existent.

Is Menzel going to be offered a contract at Geelong??

Yes because if they dont offer him a deal they cant get FA compo from the afl so they will 100% offer him a deal. If they think he is a risk they may only offer 1 year (in the knowledge that if another club offers him 2 years he will probably take it) but they will definitely offer a contract so they get a compo pick off the afl.

we are. mccarthy and gregson dont have speed and arent exactly great crummers though. they are more half forward flankers. Lang is a midfielder.
Gregson definitely has speed, and McCarthy is good overhead and provide a contest.

It's closing in on 6 years for McCarthy, and almost 8 years for Menzel and Cowan.

Menzel also has 36 goals so far this season. To mention him amongst those two is mischievous at best.

The thing I don't get about Cowan is even his very best is just OK for an AFL footballer. We always knew Menz was AA level talented which is why the club stuck by him, but Cowan's never shown that he would be anything more than a solid bottom-6 guy. Why?

The thing I don't get about Cowan is even his very best is just OK for an AFL footballer. We always knew Menz was AA level talented which is why the club stuck by him, but Cowan's never shown that he would be anything more than a solid bottom-6 guy. Why?
Maybe he trained like an a-grader but couldn't replicate it on game day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back