List Mgmt. Menzel re-signs for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thjing I will say is that there are times late in games I see Menzel stressed. He still doesn't look fully match hardened. I hope he gets another week off soon. He is like a Group 1 thoroughbred. They only know full throttle.

Iagree with that ( however he has been superb ) - i dont know if its a lack of match conditioning - i just think he has lost his agility through the operations - which is understandable

I think in 2013 - Geelong would have won the flag with Menzel playing - Menzel would have bailed out that Geelong forward line which can be hit or miss

You look at some past premiership teams - theve had that 3rd good forward - who make it very hard for the opposition - eg Tony Hall and Gunston( when they had Buddy ) at Hawthorn - Brayshaw at the Lions - when they had Lynch and Brown - Pierce ( who was a knightmare match up because of his speed ) at Carlton in 95 and Heady and Lewis at West Coast

Menz does make me nervous - especially at the end of games when he's fatigued.

It's that fatigue that scares me - the little bit of over forcing and pushing harder as he's tired.....

And sometime seeing him crab off the ground you can feel the pain..

Such a warrior, an inspiration to many and a happy source of angina.

Go Catters

Last edited:
He said after the game that his body is still adjusting to playing week after week and therefore he thinks the week off before finals will help him.

Would have been a full time mid by now if he didnt get those injuries, will be interesting to see if he ever transitions.

Would have been a full time mid by now if he didnt get those injuries, will be interesting to see if he ever transitions.
I note that he is coming up the ground during transition and playing a lot like a midfielder when there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest, I'm not sure why we would want him to move to the midfield. Isn't he kind of doing exactly what we need in the forward line?

Agree with that. Something frankly I always disliked about SJ and Chapman - I wanted them to stay forward doing the damage they were so good at doing.
When I used to see Paul Chapman squib across half back I always cringed.

His hands are so bloody good.

People bang on about Cyril and the impact he has with not a great deal of possession, and they are right to do so, because 1 of his possessions are worth 2 or 3 of some players (e.g. someone like Rockliff). Well Menzel is in that ballpark. The marks he takes, the decisions and impact he has when he gets the ball is worth so much more than the stats sheet will ever tell. He's without doubt crucial now to our Premiership chances.

People bang on about Cyril and the impact he has with not a great deal of possession, and they are right to do so, because 1 of his possessions are worth 2 or 3 of some players (e.g. someone like Rockliff). Well Menzel is in that ballpark. The marks he takes, the decisions and impact he has when he gets the ball is worth so much more than the stats sheet will ever tell. He's without doubt crucial now to our Premiership chances.

Thats what I love about this guy and last week with the slippery ball he stood out on the above like no other. The last few months Geelong have been on a knife edge with every touch being so important. One **** up or bad turnover and the opposition has usually made us pay by nailing a crucial goal.

Whenever you see Menzel near the ball he almost undoubtedly wins it and then you can rest assured and breathe easier that the next possession will NO DOUBT be by a Geelong player in a better position. Only a handful players in the AFL are this reliable and elite and you just know they will not f up....GAJ....Sam Mitchell (in fact most of Hawthorns players unfortunately other than Brad Hill)....Pendlebury....Enright....even someone like Kade Simpson.

Menzel has been making me breathe much easier by knowing he is one Geelong player that wont f up and now he seems to have gotten over his goal kicking yips he is quite the amazing player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steady operator?? o_Oo_Oo_O

Menzel's a star. :thumbsu:

Ha ... I put that out there because after bagging 4 goals in a big game very little Kudos was going his way!
My opinion was that he was already working his way back toward star status and was a little worried that no one was noticing.

He was just about at star level when he went down the first time. 4 years later, and heaven knows how much silent suffering, he is again in Geelongs best 5.

What I like most is that whatever happens from here, Menz will have a place somewhere in the industry (if he wanted to remain in the AFL family). Reward for those long hard 4 years.

Which is why the next time we play dawks don't be surprised if the jump on him to stuff his knee up. No team like 'em. Always whacking people and then crying that they are hard done by when people retaliate.

Top 10 player in the team and arguably our best forward. Still finding his feet but I think he's got AA potential in the next 2-3 years if he gets a good run of things.

Menzel has been making me breathe much easier by knowing he is one Geelong player that wont f up and now he seems to have gotten over his goal kicking yips he is quite the amazing player.

This is super impressive in my books - his set shot routine was clearly not working earlier in the year. His work rate to rectify this and to change his action (seems to run out on more of an arc now) mid season is huge and speaks volumes of his character. #MTMF

Ha ... I put that out there because after bagging 4 goals in a big game very little Kudos was going his way!
My opinion was that he was already working his way back toward star status and was a little worried that no one was noticing.

We are just keeping him under wraps - will be vital come finals ;)

I said to a mate on Saturday night that imagine if this bloke hadn't have injured his knee 4 times, he'd be possibly the best player in the Comp and that's not an overreaction.
Have thought similar over the years. You see what he was doing pre injuries and it really isn't an overreaction.

Then you see the blood sweat and tears (I'm sure plentiful) put in to getting back to the elite level, but not just getting back to prove you could ala McCartney from NM and you can't help but be rapt for him. The effort and desire to succeed seems to be chalk and cheese with his little brother.

The next time we salute on the fateful Saturday in September I bloody hope he's in the team.

I'm enjoying every single moment he is out there. We missed him so much these past 4 years, he could have already been a great of the club.
IMO he would've been everything SJ was and probably more.

Iagree with that ( however he has been superb ) - i dont know if its a lack of match conditioning - i just think he has lost his agility through the operations - which is understandable

I think in 2013 - Geelong would have won the flag with Menzel playing - Menzel would have bailed out that Geelong forward line which can be hit or miss

You look at some past premiership teams - theve had that 3rd good forward - who make it very hard for the opposition - eg Tony Hall and Gunston( when they had Buddy ) at Hawthorn - Brayshaw at the Lions - when they had Lynch and Brown - Pierce ( who was a knightmare match up because of his speed ) at Carlton in 95 and Heady and Lewis at West Coast

Not just him but Enright or Chappy would have been good that night.
Cowan, Vardy, McCarthy any type of ruckmen,
Jeez we were depleted for years carrying injury prone players.

Stop talking him up: mitchel will give him a corkey and hodge will hit him in the head next time we play 'em.

GFday. He could do a Pods and still receive the p'ship medal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back