List Mgmt. Menzel re-signs for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Menzel is a selfish campaigner who is more concerned with his two goal average than he is in doing what's best for the team
The Club is on the right path of getting rid of him.
That is rough. He made a wrong play in the prelim so he's being branded as selfish. Quick to forget how many he did kick this year at crucial times. He is not a selfish campaigner generally and its unfair to say so.
How many praised him after the semi for kicking the winning goal after 3qt from further out.
Vindictive scapegoating nonsense is not constructive

That is rough. He made a wrong play in the prelim so he's bei g branded as selfish. Quick to forget how many he did kick this year at crucial times. He is not a selfish campaigner generally and its unfair to say so.
How many praised him after the semi for kicking the winning goal after 3qt from further out.
Im not scapegoating. That's been my observation for quite a while.......and Fridays game only confirmed it for me.
Scapegoating would be singling him out, and I've not done that in other threads.
This is a Daniel Menzel thread so it's only reasonable that I mention him here

And that 'wrong play' you talk about.......was the final nail in Menzels coffin.
He's as good as gone....bookmark it

After all he has been through and since achieved. Bit harsh PO

Harsh but realistic. I love him for making it back but we need to change our foward line and parting ways is the right call i think. He will always be a Geelong person regardless.

Im not scapegoating. That's been my observation for quite a while.......and Fridays game only confirmed it for me.
Scapegoating would be singling him out, and I've not done that in other threads.
This is a Daniel Menzel thread so it's only reasonable that I mention him here

And that 'wrong play' you talk about.......was the final nail in Menzels coffin.
He's as good as gone....bookmark it
Everyone in the team made mistakes on friday (except motlop.)
Menz had his contract halved. In a way I think that creates a mindset that you have to prove your strengths. His is goalscoring.
Shocking to do that to a young man contractually when you are aiming at a flag.
Bad timing by the club

Harsh but realistic. I love him for making it back but we need to change our foward line and parting ways is the right call i think. He will always be a Geelong person regardless.
Not querying realism, just saying he doesnt deserve any labels except bravery and consistency. The most accurate goalkicker in the AFL with shattered knees included in the equation.
I wonder what our win loss ratio would be without his accuracy

Menz had his contract halved. In a way I think that creates a mindset that you have to prove your strengths. His is goalscoring.
Bad timing by the club

Maybe but doesnt excuse being selfish on field. Anyway the point is more we need to change our forward line structure and this is part of the change we need to make.

Bad timing by the club
This isn't an 'everyone ' Fred.
Get it!

Maybe but doesnt excuse being selfish on field. Anyway the point is more we need to change our forward line structure and this is part of the change we need to make.
Thank you PO.
Nailed it in your first sentence. ......I don't excuse that level of selfishness

That is rough. He made a wrong play in the prelim so he's being branded as selfish. Quick to forget how many he did kick this year at crucial times. He is not a selfish campaigner generally and its unfair to say so.
He is one of our most accurate passers into the 50 also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C'mon mate there's enough for you to bag Menzel with without having to say something which is clearly wrong.
You mean like the way he deliberately ignored two team mates in a far better position so he could blaze away at goals ......or the way he continually dags out the back of packs looking for a cheap ally oop goal, or the way he continually stands inside 50 with his hands on his hips while his opponent runs the ball out if defence?
You're right

Last edited:
You mean like the way he deliberately ignored two team mates in a far better position so he could blaze away at goals ......or the way he continually dags out the back of packs looking for a cheap ally pop goal, or the way he continually stands inside 50 with his hands on his hips while his opponent runs the ball out if defence?
You're right

I tend to be right a lot.

I get it.......and I will.
Bring on Ablett Stringer Smith and whoever we can get to turn the likes of Menzel over
Have no issue with bringing new talent to the club, but will always take issue with scapegoating. Menz has done more than others for the club and has shown more character than any of his critics sir. Including your good self

He also took the selfish option to play on/take the advantage in the semi final when I think it was Blicavs who was awarded a free kick and 45/50m on a 45 degree angle - instead of stopping and either allowing Blicavs a set shot or to set up for a teammate he threw ball on boot for an around the body shot in what was a poor percentage option.

Even Motlop who was in a better position to take a snap shot when Blicavs was awarded a free kick in the last, stopped so Blicavs could go back over the mark.

Not questioning Menzels goal kicking ability, but there are times during the season he went the hero play rather than the team play

To be fair - there are time too where he’s taken the onus to kick the goal and succeeded. Not saying the me me me is not valid, but perhaps the extent to which it’s applied can vary. Kick the goal and it’s ok. Miss and he was selfish.

Fine line but both sides are relevant here imo.

Go Catters

He also took the selfish option to play on/take the advantage in the semi final when I think it was Blicavs who was awarded a free kick and 45/50m on a 45 degree angle - instead of stopping and either allowing Blicavs a set shot or to set up for a teammate he threw ball on boot for an around the body shot in what was a poor percentage option.

Even Motlop who was in a better position to take a snap shot when Blicavs was awarded a free kick in the last, stopped so Blicavs could go back over the mark.

Not questioning Menzels goal kicking ability, but there are times during the season he went the hero play rather than the team play
Not in disagreement. My point is being offered unders amidst finals a poor choice as it puts pressure on that if not there different choices may have been made. Unfair on him to make him feel unwanted during finals

To be fair - there are time too where he’s taken the onus to kick the goal and succeeded. Not saying the me me me is not valid, but perhaps the extent to which it’s applied can vary. Kick the goal and it’s ok. Miss and he was selfish.

Fine line but both sides are relevant here imo.

Go Catters
Spot on.
The kicking Menzel has recieved on here since the finals started is well out of proportion IMO.
I think there is a spot for him in our Fwd 50 when we can play a balanced side.
Injuries and at times selection have prevented that from happening regularly.
Looking at what the club is offering him though, i dont think they share that opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back