List Mgmt. Menzel re-signs for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's an amazing talent and very much eases the pain of watching Stevie J carve it up in a horrible looking jumper. Not to dwell on the past. But clearly Menzel is hampered in his movement at times. Without injury he'd be an even better player. Possible he'd be a star goal kicking mid. We saw at VFL level last year that he could play inside. But I'd be happy now to keep him close to goal. He finds a way to impact the scoreboard and make things happen.
Also still interested in Troy seems to not be in the frame at the crows. And they are unimpressed with his attitude. I think Geeling could sort him out. They may not trade him (especially) to Geelong after only a year. But if not much has changed next year he'll be able to come cheap.

You could bet your house he would want to come here I think.

They didn't like Hawkins and Jpod.
Getting Hawk, Stanley, Smith, Menzel, Bartel down there making stuff is massively important.

Don't let them zone off and make them honour all our forwards.

Go Catters
What we've worked out (tactics) is how to have marking forwards AND have ground level pressure players who harrass and tackle.

This means their backline players are spraying kicks to our very experienced backline.

The Hawks will be hoping on chaos to get their burst goals, but our very capable, contest winning, disciplined backline should be beating 80% of those forays and making Gibson and Stratton work and work and work.

Remember, we've actually practiced a few times this season on the Hawthorn 'attack from defense' model - Adelaide and WB. We've handled them easily.

Our real difficulty will be the super talented teams of GWS and elite all-round team of Sydney. No doubt those teams see us in the same light. A combination of super talented and all-round.

24 goals in his last 9 full games. If he keeps that 2.5 goals a game average through finals, maybe sneaks a bag in there somewhere, that goes a long way to helping out Hawk.
Menzel makes a huge difference to our forward line.

McCarthy too. But Menzel is next to impossible to match up on when he is fresh. One on one marking contests, he wins nearly every time. His reflexes and awareness are a match for SJ, who is as good as you get in that area. But....gets to about 4 or 5 games in a row and he looks like he needs a week off. The way the finals are set up hopefully work for him.

Menzel makes a huge difference to our forward line.

McCarthy too. But Menzel is next to impossible to match up on when he is fresh. One on one marking contests, he wins nearly every time. His reflexes and awareness are a match for SJ, who is as good as you get in that area. But....gets to about 4 or 5 games in a row and he looks like he needs a week off. The way the finals are set up hopefully work for him.
It's an interesting comparison. He's not quite as clever as SJ - who is? - but he's definitely a better mark, never SJ's strength, and a bigger (if not as creative) kick.

Menzel is the perfect and dangerous foil for Hawkins - he just needs to threaten more consistently.

His value would improve even more if there was another #2 forward taking attention up there.

Maybe one day.

Go Catters

I keep saying it and no matter what happens....Daniel Menzel is a star.

He sure is.
It's funny because I continue with the opinion that if not for his 4 knee ops he'd be one of the best and most dynamic players in the comp right now (talking top 10 type of thing) in a similar role as SJ and Chappy did for us. Half forward and midfield.
Everytime I say that to a Geelong supporter though they all completely and absolutely agree with me.
He really is a special talent and even WITH the 4 knee ops he's a star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elite body only thing that has held him back from being a superstar would of played 200 plus with good knees

There was a bit of talk at the time of this thread start that Menz would struggle post ops.

I chose steady operator because the magic might be gone in some eyes and hearts. Anyway I don't think it has. This is the year we see his "new best" . Last year he was feeling his way a bit. I think (barring another setback )he can still be one of those special players we really need to stay top 4.

There was a bit of talk at the time of this thread start that Menz would struggle post ops.

I chose steady operator because the magic might be gone in some eyes and hearts. Anyway I don't think it has. This is the year we see his "new best" . Last year he was feeling his way a bit. I think (barring another setback )he can still be one of those special players we really need to stay top 4.

IMO as long as DM has a heartbeat, the magic will still be there. You dont go thru what he's been thru and still doing daily to steadily operate.
I get the sentiment and reasoning behind the POV - not knocking it either - but with that talent and motivation - he can still do things other blokes just look at in jealousy. Granted, the number of the moments may be lesser and fewer and further between, but they are still there and its that potential ( and reality) than separates him IMO.

GO Catters

IMO as long as DM has a heartbeat, the magic will still be there. You dont go thru what he's been thru and still doing daily to steadily operate.
I get the sentiment and reasoning behind the POV - not knocking it either - but with that talent and motivation - he can still do things other blokes just look at in jealousy. Granted, the number of the moments may be lesser and fewer and further between, but they are still there and its that potential ( and reality) than separates him IMO.

GO Catters

You're right but there were concerns over his physical limits post surgery, not unfounded either.
Luckily for him and us it seems he's lost nothing though, great side step, good leap, nice long kick, still has that 45 degree sideways kick that goes super long and flat for no apparent reason.
His biggest strength is his self believe and resilience though, at no point did he ever waiver from believing he would come back and no minute of doubt about his body. That's amazing mental strength really, I'm not sure many others would come back in the same way as Dan.

You're right but there were concerns over his physical limits post surgery, not unfounded either.
Luckily for him and us it seems he's lost nothing though, great side step, good leap, nice long kick, still has that 45 degree sideways kick that goes super long and flat for no apparent reason.
His biggest strength is his self believe and resilience though, at no point did he ever waiver from believing he would come back and no minute of doubt about his body. That's amazing mental strength really, I'm not sure many others would come back in the same way as Dan.

I'd disagree with that. He's not much good at chasing anymore. When we moved the ball in slowly against Essendon he didn't look like getting a touch. Once it was delivered with better accuracy at speed he looked way more dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back