List Mgmt. Menzel re-signs for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were half way there but you and ya mate still arent making thr connection. Where did you pull 5 goals 22 from...thats a ptetty arbitrary measure. Look as a pure forward menz is a gun his talent even with cooked knees is unquestionable. But until the afl cap rotations were gonna have very small mobile teams with pressure negating mindsets beating teams like the crows who lets face it had twice the talent spread of richmond yet were negated playing their attacking style because richmond found roles.for their many plodders.

If menz wants to be an effective contributer hes gotta do it both ways dude. Its obvious what he brings to the table isnt valued highly these days or hed have been off to the first suitor that came asking...except not 1 did so menz had to tell the club hed take the 1 year deal. My first post was hoping that this was a message to menz that he has some things to think about if he wants to extend his afl career beyond this year. Its basic facts its up to menz to fill a void in the 22 not the coach to work around his deficiencies if, those deficiencies dont balance somewhere else sorry champ theres the door.

Its harsh but thats the pro sporting realm.
I think where we differ is I believe Dan is giving everything his body is capable of, there aint no more and defensively that's not great but the club up to now have been prepared to wear it, if that's to continue they need to make the necessary adjustments or as you say just don't play him.

I think where we differ is I believe Dan is giving everything his body is capable of, there aint no more and defensively that's not great but the club up to now have been prepared to wear it, if that's to continue they need to make the necessary adjustments or as you say just don't play him.
I think the big issue here is what real effort are you going to put in when you've been low balled and have no options?

1 year at 200k or so.
I'd be thinking about a cake shop or something right now if I was dan.

Just on contracts, we've finally moved Vardy, Smedts, Cowan and that lot on (we've still got GHS on a stupid 3 year deal). However, we seem to be much more business like going forward. Has personnel in that department changed in the last year or two or has the club realised that charity has its limits?

I think the big issue here is what real effort are you going to put in when you've been low balled and have no options?

1 year at 200k or so.
I'd be thinking about a cake shop or something right now if I was dan.
That's what makes me say I reckon Dan was giving every thing this year,he'd have known how critical it was to his future.The poor buggers really up the famous old creek.He's not contracted yet is he?

Just on contracts, we've finally moved Vardy, Smedts, Cowan and that lot on (we've still got GHS on a stupid 3 year deal). However, we seem to be much more business like going forward. Has personnel in that department changed in the last year or two or has the club realised that charity has its limits?
I think limits were just reached. Even a patient administration has limits.

Fair enough...if he cant give anymore than he is then he can't give anymore. He doesn't strike me as a lad with lazy or bad attitude in fact anything but given the adversity hes had to come back from but if he comes to the realisation his best is short of whats required then its gonna be an uphill battle for him to not get dropped and delisted next year. And thats just the way the cookie crumbles unfortunately...the world stops for noone in pro sport.

I know Cook came out and declared no more Mr Nice Guy regarding long term injury prone players some time back now.

Chris Scott was the one who said height in the wet was the reason. Never said anything about defensive pressure. If defensive pressure was the reason then menzel wouldnt have played round 22. You wouldnt drop a player for a particular weakness if in his last match he played a game in which that weakness was much improved. Menzel was actually reasonably good in defensive pressure in that last game against GWS. Had 4 tackles. Did lots of hard running wHen they had the ball. It would be absurd to play him the round before despite his weakness and then drop him the next week despite improving significantly in that weakness. What sort of message does that suggest?
I haven't seen any reference to Menz's 'height'. CS did refer to him being a marking forward which may have been one of the "host of reasons" CS said lead to Menz's omission. To suggest his defensive work over time wasn't one of the "host of reasons" for his omission when it was "well behind his team mates by a significant margin" defies credulity.

Maybe the reason why no other clubs have pursued him so far is because of his "height" and has nothing to do with him not applying tackling pressure over an extended period.;)

Asked to explain his decision to drop Menzel, Scott pointed to the conditions.

“We looked a bit cumbersome as it was and Menzel plays as a marking player. We thought the conditions would be slippery; it wasn’t as slippery as the game went on as we expected,” Scott said.

“We wanted to be a bit more mobile through the midfield. I mean, there was a whole host of reasons I don’t really want to go into at the moment.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r/news-story/90456d7ce9e288a67a8e6978060be632

Hopefully they’ve finally come to their senses. Still got McCarthy however.

Asked to explain his decision to drop Menzel, Scott pointed to the conditions.

“We looked a bit cumbersome as it was and Menzel plays as a marking player. We thought the conditions would be slippery; it wasn’t as slippery as the game went on as we expected,” Scott said.

“We wanted to be a bit more mobile through the midfield. I mean, there was a whole host of reasons I don’t really want to go into at the moment.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r/news-story/90456d7ce9e288a67a8e6978060be632
Spin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully they’ve finally come to their senses. Still got McCarthy however.
Agreed but Linc has shown more than any of the above IMO. If he and Mr G aren't playing best 22 by year's end move them on.

I reckon Smedts showed more, as did Vardy (more inconsistent but best was good). Agree though they need a pretty good 2018.
Smedts was a soft spud. Linc and Gregson have shown a lot, Gregson a lot in his first year. Both been hampered by injury...if both can stay on the park they'll be guns. But youre right times ticking and if they spend the majority of 2018 in the rehab room theyll both probably be packin their bags and heading back to SA.

Menzel's output per season has improved since he returned, so I hold hope that he will continue to improve next year. I would definitely manage him to make sure he plays 15-18 games or so. It's easy to forget he's only played SIXTY AFL games. And I said 60 in capitals because it needed emphasis! If this guy had never had an injury to speak of he'd be something to behold. I'm talking Gaz Snr levels. He has ridiculous ability cruelled by injury. The whole competition is a victim of his injury as we all would have been in awe of his accomplishments. Here's hoping he can still surprise us!

Menzel's output per season has improved since he returned, so I hold hope that he will continue to improve next year. I would definitely manage him to make sure he plays 15-18 games or so. It's easy to forget he's only played SIXTY AFL games. And I said 60 in capitals because it needed emphasis! If this guy had never had an injury to speak of he'd be something to behold. I'm talking Gaz Snr levels. He has ridiculous ability cruelled by injury. The whole competition is a victim of his injury as we all would have been in awe of his accomplishments. Here's hoping he can still surprise us!

In 2018 he'll turn on God Mode ;)

Surprising that the Cats site hasn't announced anything regarding Dan signing. I know it was mentioned on RSN, but nothing confirming it since.

The only reason I can think of is because in the interview with Stephen Wells he said something along the lines of "Dan's exploring his options looking for a longer term contract which he's well within his rights to do so. But if that doesn't end up working out he'll have a home at the Cats next year and be a Geelong player".

So I assume the Cats are just being really lazy and will say that's their confirmation he's staying at Geelong :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back