Opinion Merchandise is Bigger then Piracy Losses

Remove this Banner Ad

I am using Frozen as the Movie I am using cause I have heard that most Little Girls wanted stuff for Christmas where mostly on the Disney Movie “Frozen” that Disney would make 100’s of Millions of Dollars over X-Mas time with Parents but Stuff that is Frozen Related.

So IF Movies Companies make Good Enough Movie that people really like they will but the Merchandise like Clothes and Toys and make a hell of a lot money from it.

So they don’t lose much or no money from People Downloading the Movie.

Do you Agree?

It's impossible to tell how much money a film has 'lost' through piracy, but a popular film would lose hundreds of millions. It's not just because of the lack of DVD/Blu-Ray or ticket sales, but also because the TV stations and Cinemas - who now have lower viewership - would offer less money for the rights to show the film. Furthermore a lot of people who pirate a film would never have paid anyway to see it, so saying X people pirated the film and therefore that's X ticket sales lost is incorrect.

Merchandise sales do help, but not all films lend themselves to merchandising. In fact I'd say anything outside of childrens' films and your general audience blockbuster (ie. the superhero shitfest (don't get me started on superhero films), Star Wars, Lord of the Rings) are just not fitting for merchandise. Gone Girl or the Grand Budapest Hotel have been very successful films this year but would you go and buy a doll or figurine of it? Or a comic? A video game? No, of course not. Guardians of the Galaxy on the other hand? Hell yeah there will be people buying figurines from it (and yes I realise it existed prior to the film).

Thinking that piracy doesn't hurt the market is ignorant, but at the end of the day it's the failure of Hollywood to adapt to the markets demands that have caused this. Digital Distribution of video games has proven that if there's an affordable and easy way to get a game legally, people will not pirate it as often. Somehow the Film industry is still failing to grasp this, because charging $15~$20 for a new release digitally is just not acceptable to your everyday person.

IF the Movie is good and people really like it. They be happy to pay to go to the Cinema to watch it.

Agree that you can never be 100% sure how much a movie would loss as Some People Download the Movie just to see IF it’s good and worth buying the DVD of it or Going to the Cinema.

Hollywood are still stuck in to Pre-VHS Days and Don’t Refuse to Change with the Times.

I am using Frozen as the Movie I am using cause I have heard that most Little Girls wanted stuff for Christmas where mostly on the Disney Movie “Frozen” that Disney would make 100’s of Millions of Dollars over X-Mas time with Parents but Stuff that is Frozen Related.

So IF Movies Companies make Good Enough Movie that people really like they will but the Merchandise like Clothes and Toys and make a hell of a lot money from it.

Do you Agree?

You think Movie Piracy is not a big deal? Put your coat on Dave, I'm gonna show you something

Most people have no interest in going to the cinema to watch a film if they've already seen it. I mean you'd have to be a massive fan of it to do so.

True but I normally have a Quick look at it before I go and see in the Cinema’s.

Plus the Cam Quality is Crap

True but I normally have a Quick look at it before I go and see in the Cinema’s.

Plus the Cam Quality is Crap

What I find amusing is when someones goes 'HEY GUIZ I HAV DIZ 1080P VID, ITS BLURAY QULITY YO', clearly not understanding that all videos on the internet are 'lossy' using codecs that minimise file size and maximise the quality - within the possible bounds of technology. The most common is H264 which compared to a lossless mp4 looks like s**t, but the file size is a quarter of the size.

Do you Agree?
Much of a muchness. People will do one of 2 things - or even both. Download illegally, download illegally and then buy the DvD.

10421610_1041972199159172_2241241621385473375_n.jpg

Do you Agree?

Hi Dave.

Both Twelve Years a Slave & Dallas Buyers Club would not have been made if movies were made to sell merchandise.

I would prefer these movies were made as they were both quite incredible.

The movie industry would lose all credibility if it solely tried to make money off merchandise.

Hi Dave.

Both Twelve Years a Slave & Dallas Buyers Club would not have been made if movies were made to sell merchandise.

I would prefer these movies were made as they were both quite incredible.

The movie industry would lose all credibility if it solely tried to make money off merchandise.

There's a strong argument to say that it already has lost most of it :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back