Merger Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Some years back I wrote about how a couple of years ago I ... anyway here's the "ladder" based on a formula I use (formula open to challenge):

17 - Ouyen-Walpeup-Underbool (Sunraysia FL, Vic) [more info]
17 - Brinkworth-Spalding-Redhill (North-Eastern FL, SA) [more info]
16 - Glen Eira Saints (VAFA, Vic) [more info]
15 - Murrayville (Mallee FL, SA)
13 - Southern Flinders (Northern Areas FA, SA) [more info]
12 - Karoonda Districts (Mallee FL, SA) (potentially larger now as another merger is intended with Peak & Dist [more info])
12 - Central Eyre United (MWFL, SA) [more info]
10 - Harrow-Balmoral (Horsham DFL, Vic)
10 - Otway District (Colac & DFL, Vic)
10 - Tooleybuc-Manangatang (Central Murray FL, Vic/NSW) [more info]
10 - Ashburton-Caulfield (Vic) [more info]
9 - Fitzroy (SAAFL, SA) [more info]
8 - Sea Lake-Nandaly Tigers (North-Central FL, Vic)
8 - DWWW (South Gippsland FL, Vic)

Formula = min + max + sources, where
min = minimum representations of any club from it's initial incarnation to latest representation
max = maximum representations of any club from it's initial incarnation to latest representation
sources = total of number of initial incarnations (eg stand-alone clubs) involved

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Original Post follows :
A couple of years ago I put a post on here about mergers of clubs that then remerged and merged again. I had a sort of qualification process, a "min + max + num" which meant : min - minimum number of stages any club had been through. max - maximum number of stages any club had been through. num - number of (original stand-alone) clubs involved. This was my idea of finding the most merged club.

I had found that Ouyen United was amongst the most merged : Tempy, Goyura and Patchewollock merged to form TGP Kiamal and Tiega merged to form Ouyen Rovers. TGP and Ouyen Rovers merged to form Ouyen United.
Min - 3 (all original clubs (1) merged (2) then merged again (3) ) Max - 3 (all original clubs (1) merged (2) then merged again (3) ) Clubs - 5 (original stand-alone clubs only) Total = 11.

Another example : Douglas merged with Miga Lake Douglas-Miga Lake merged with Harrow DHML merged with Balmoral to form Harrow-Balmoral.
Min - 2 (Balmoral to Harrow-Balmoral) Max - 4 - (Douglas or Migal Lake (1) to DML (2) to DHML (3) to HB (4) ) Clubs - 4 Total = 10

Well, back to Ouyen United! Found out went much further! Goyura wasn't related, it was actually Gorya, a different place! Speed and Turriff merged to form Gorya FC. Gorya and Tempy merged to form Tempy-Gorya FC. Tempy-Gorya merged with Patchewollock to form TGP. Kiamal and Tiega merged to form Ouyen Rovers. Ouyen Rovers and TGP merged to form Ouyen United.
Min - 3 (Kiamal or Tiega (1), Ouyen Rovers (2), Ouyen United (3) ) Max - 5 (Turriff or Speed (1), Gorya (2), Tempy-Gorya (3), TGP (4), Ouyen United (5) ) Clubs - 6 (Speed, Turriff, Tempy, Patchewollock, Kiamal, Tiega) Total = 14

That's currently my record. Anyone want to challenge it?

Last edited:
Mobb,
as much as I love your devotion to the grassroots, I do need to question why? Surely you've got better ways to spend your time than working out merger points.
Sorry. Maybe I'm just jealous that I've got nothing to add to this thread.

I can answer that, Dog watcher. Because no one else will do it! People like Mob and myself (and a few others) are as rare as hens teeth. More of us would give the grass roots a fighting chance! Without people like us, the history of the game would end up being about the VFL/AFL - and that's it!

Fitzroy (SA) would have to be a contender

Albert Druids merged with Brompton, formed Renown Park
Renown Park, Saint Peters YCW, Saint Dominics merged, formed Fitzroy

Originally posted by screech
Fitzroy (SA) would have to be a contender

Min - 2
Max - 3
Clubs - 4
Total = 9

How about Karoonda Districts (Mallee FL, SA) :
Borrika and Sandalwood merged to form Borrika-Sandalwood.
Karoonda merged with Borrika-Sandalwood to form Karoonda-Borrika.
Nunkeri-Yurgo and 1/2 Karoonda merged to form United.
Karoonda-Borrika, United and Wynarka merged to form Karoonda Districts.

Min - 2
Max - 4
Clubs - 6
Total = 12

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
I think Dogwatcher's just having a stir, after all he writes for the local newspaper re the Riverland and the RI leagues up there out near Rufus River!

Rufus River? Far out, I don't even know there that is - maybe it's merged with the Murray and Darling rivers. The way it's going we prob. need a merger ofrivers just to get the flow into the damn thing.
BTW - I was having a stir.
I'll try and come up with some interesting mergers from here.

Originally posted by screech
Albert Druids - gee that's winding it back! My dad used to drink at the Albert Druids Sports & Social Club - MANY years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

???? - Murrumbeena District FC commenced.
???? - South Caulfield FC commenced.
???? - Malvern South Methodist FC commenced.
1958 - St Kilda CBC Old Boys FC commenced.
1963 - AMP Society FC commenced.
1978 - Malvern South Methodist changed name to Malvern South Uniting FC.
1979 - South Caulfield and Malvern South Uniting merged to form South Caulfield-Malvern FC.
1980s - Murrumbeena District and South Caulfield-Malvern merged to form Murrumbeena-South Caulfield FC.
1982 - AMP Society changed name to Balaclava FC.
1991 - Balaclava changed name to Glenhuntly FC.
1992 - St Kilda CBC OB and Murrumbeena-South Caulfield merged to form St Kilda-South Caulfield FC.
1999 - Glenhuntly and St Kilda-South Caulfield merged to form Glen Eira FC.

Or :

gleneira.jpg

When the Mobbenfuhrer releases his country and werstern album, surely this will the picture that adorns the cover.

You can almost smell the angst written on his face. Mrs Mobbenfuhrer has capured the moment beautifully.

Next to Laver's Hill should be Johanna and Beech Forest
yeah at a later point than this chart I discovered two of the other teams were Beech Forest and Laver's Hill Imperials. Still was under the impressions there was a fourth.
There's a possibility Beech Forest was a merger of Beech Forest and Lardner in the approx 1920s, too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back