Merger Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/3...t-under-afl-victoria-country-proposal/?cs=226

Mallee FL reportedly to disband with clubs merging and moving elsewhere.

ZpfLLH9.png

Min=3, Max=6, Clubs=8, Merger Rating=17

HOEVVoW.png

Min=3, Max=4, Clubs=6, Merger Rating=13

EDIT: The second merger (Sea Lake-Nandaly and Woomelang-Lascelles) never happened. Woomelang-Lascelles have entered recess or folded, and Sea Lake Nandaly have moved to the North-Central FL without any further adoptions.

Last edited:
Do you have one of these flow charts for Harrow/Balmoral?
Hmmm no but let's think. I don't know all the details ... in one season there were references to both Salt Lakes AND Douglas playing, unsure if an error or if 2 separate teams.

Rich (BB code):
Harrow ------------------------+
                               |
      Douglas-Harrow-Miga Lake +---+
                               |   |
Salt Lakes -> Douglas -----+   |   |
                           |   |   |
  Douglas-Miga Lake Rovers +---+   |
                           |       |
Miga Lake -----------------+       |
                                   |
                                    +--> Harrow-Balmoral
                                   |
Balmoral --------------------------+
Min=2, Max=4, Club=4; Merger Rating = 10

Does that look right to you?

what about the DWWWW merger from the Alberton comp I think the clubs merged are Devon Wron Won Welshpool Woodside I think.

Here's one for you, based in SA.

So we start off with Koolunga, Yacka, Gulnare, Spalding, Redhill and Brinkworth.

Koolunga and Yacka are first to merge in the early 50s (as White Cliffs FC). They de-merge and go back as separate teams. They merge again, but the new merger team (Koolunga/Yacka FC) folds with Yacka reforming as a single team again and Koolunga going with Redhill to form Koolunga/Redhill. This is the early 60s.

Mid 60s: Redhill merges with Gulnare to form Gulnare/Redhill FC.

70s Brinkworth merges with Yacka to form Brinkworth/Yacka.

80s: Brinkworth Yacka merges with Spalding to become BYS. Two years later BYS merge with Gulnare Redhill to become BSR (Brinkworth/Spalding/Redhill).

s**t Heardy_101 I need to look at yours, nice submission!

I thought of this thread when Glen Eira announced intentions just now of hooking up with the Monash Gryphons. I think that moves them up to a 15.

I need to get my crap in order and work on this.

HEIvisx.jpg

(Score: Max 7 + Min 2 + Sources 6 = 15)

Last edited:
This depends on two things:
1. Whether a demerger back to original state (White Cliffs back to Yacka & Koolunga) should count. As my intention is to document the complexity of a "recipe" here, I would count it, but some might argue otherwise.
2. You mentioned that Koolunga/Yacka folded and the two teams went in different directions. If the teams were new entities (ie formed anew to avoid red tape), again there might be argument that the earlier Koolunga and Yacka might not technically be part of this pathway.

But let's assume it's all legit and run with it:

Rich (BB code):
Spalding -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
                                                                                                                |                                         
Brinkworth ------------------------------------------------------------------------------+                      +-- BYS --+
                                                                                         |                      |         |
                                                                                         +-- Brinkworth/Yacka --+         |
                                                                                         |                                |
Yacka -------+                  +---- Yacka --+                    +-- Yacka ------------+                                |
             |                  |             |                    |                                                      |
             +-- White Cliffs --+             +-- Koolunga/Yacka --+                                                      +-- BSR (Brinkworth/Spalding/Redhill)
             |                  |             |                    |                                                      |
Koolunga ----+                  +-- Koolunga -+                    +-- Koolunga/Redhill--+                                |
                                                                   |                     |                                |
Redhill -----------------------------------------------------------+                     +-- Gulnare/Redhill -------------+
                                                                                         |
Gulnare ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Min - 3
Max - 8
Sources - 6
Score : 17

This depends on two things:
1. Whether a demerger back to original state (White Cliffs back to Yacka & Koolunga) should count. As my intention is to document the complexity of a "recipe" here, I would count it, but some might argue otherwise.
2. You mentioned that Koolunga/Yacka folded and the two teams went in different directions. If the teams were new entities (ie formed anew to avoid red tape), again there might be argument that the earlier Koolunga and Yacka might not technically be part of this pathway.

But let's assume it's all legit and run with it:

Rich (BB code):
Spalding -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
                                                                                                                |                                        
Brinkworth ------------------------------------------------------------------------------+                      +-- BYS --+
                                                                                         |                      |         |
                                                                                         +-- Brinkworth/Yacka --+         |
                                                                                         |                                |
Yacka -------+                  +---- Yacka --+                    +-- Yacka ------------+                                |
             +-- White Cliffs --+             +-- Koolunga/Yacka --+                                                      +-- BSR (Brinkworth/Spalding/Redhill)
Koolunga ----+                  +-- Koolunga -+                    +-- Koolunga/Redhill--+                                |
                                                                   |                     |                                |
Redhill -----------------------------------------------------------+                     +-- Gulnare/Redhill -------------+
                                                                                         |
Gulnare ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Min - 3
Max - 8
Sources - 6
Score : 17

Not bad.

Good graph there too.

Not bad.

Good graph there too.
If I can find the old org-chart software I'd collected once years ago, it'll get an upgrade!

Going to revamp this thread by altering the opening post to reflect a "winners list" based on the calculation I use. Hopefully re-create some graphics that have gone amiss. Generally unshoddy the thing.

Otway Districts created by merger of Otway Rovers and Gellibrand in 1982 the club choose the Gellibrand jumper (Melbourne) and played at Gellibrand. Otway Rovers jumper was light green with yellow vee.
When it reformed in 1995 after recessing in 1993 the club played out of Carlisle River and had the (N.Melb) jumper. The club joined the Heytesbury FL and Heytesbury were already the Demons. Heytesbury League folded in 2002 so club joined the Colac DFL. South Colac has the N.Melb colours so they club reverted to the Melbourne colours.

Otway Rovers absorbed Carlisle River (Carlton Jumper) in 1974
Otway Rovers formed in 1957 to compete in the Colac DFL. Club drew players from Beech Forest, Lavers Hill Imperials and Johanna club that folded with the Otway FA in 1956.

Laver Hill Imperials formed as result of Johanna and Wyelangta in 1938

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheer Todman ... I'll take note of this as I'm hauling the footypedia out onto the web again.

Good news as I have a shitload of info about local clubs around here etc as well as uniforms and premiership years. I have most of the Broughton Football League/Association premierships listed as well as most of the teams info and colours.

http://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/3...t-under-afl-victoria-country-proposal/?cs=226

Mallee FL reportedly to disband with clubs merging and moving elsewhere.

ZpfLLH9.png

Min=3, Max=6, Clubs=8, Merger Rating=17

HOEVVoW.png

Min=3, Max=4, Clubs=6, Merger Rating=13

EDIT: The second merger (Sea Lake-Nandaly and Woomelang-Lascelles) never happened. Woomelang-Lascelles have entered recess or folded, and Sea Lake Nandaly have moved to the North-Central FL without any further adoptions.

Was just about to post the new Ouyen United Kangas have joined the Sunraysia League.

Was just about to post the new Ouyen United Kangas have joined the Sunraysia League.
The Ouyen United family tree is massive. On top of that, there were two other instances of Ouyen FC which, instead of being further merged into this system, folded "old, alone and done for", replaced by new Ouyen teams later. Technically I consider they should not be counted.

Another one I'm researching currently is Birchip-Watchem. Anyone who is a victorian country footy nerd would probably know that Birchip-Watchm is the result of Birchip merging with Watchem-Corack, thus there's three seeds to this tree. But Watchem went through a few name changes, too. Whether they were mergers or just rebrandings could spell the difference between the mild Birchip-Watchem-Corack and something possibly as extensive as a Birchip-Laen-Cope-Cope-Litchfield-Carron-Watchem-Corack behemoth. Hard to make a call at this stage.

This is what I've come up with. Note that there are few actual confirmed mergers here, many of these changes are likely to be new teams created after old teams folded, teams moving lock, stock and barrel to new homes, and teams formed from the get-go under hyphenated names based immediately upon the localities complicit.

p20XX1E.png

It tends to make sense somewhere between the second and the third migraine. I have had the best luck imagining these are a bunch of drunk (androgynous) friends at a dance. For instance:
Litchfield, Laen and Carron arrived at the dance together, Watchem wandered in on their own. Carron and Litchfield met to dance, Laen looked on. for the next dance, Laen stepped in to dance with Litchfield, while Carron stood aside. Then when the third song played Laen & Carron hooked up and everyone was set to even out at two dances each. However, Watchem finally arrived, and Litchfield took this opportunity to stay on the floor.
Laen told Carron that they were a s**t dancer, and Carron stormed out. with clear chemistry between the two L's, Litchfield immediately moved back to Laen for the 4th dance of the evening, and Watchem looked for a new partner. Cope Cope had arrived but they had never really liked each other enough to dance. When dance #5 started Watchem grabbed the random Corack from wallflowers, and Laen continued to dance with Litchfield. Fortunately the Nutbush was played and Cope Cope was able to join in with those two Watchem and Corack snuck out the back and had a kick of moonlight footy.

See how well it works?

Just out of interest, gonna have to remake the BSR family tree as I've made a booboo somewhere!

Also, here's another local club to f**k with your mind:

Southern Flinders Tigers from the Northern Areas Football Association.

Starts off with:

Gladstone
Georgetown
Caltowie
Laura
Wirrabara
Murraytown

Georgetown and Caltowie Merge (Georgetown - Caltowie "Combine")
Wirrabara and Murraytown merge (W/M)
Laura and WM merge (Laura/Wirrabara Peckers)
Combine and Gladstone merge (Gladstone Combine)
Combine rename themselves Rocky River

Rocky River merge with L/W to become Southern Flinders.

Rehash of Brinkworth/Spalding/Redhill

Start off with:

Brinkworth
Koolunga
Yacka
Spalding
Redhill
Gulnare

Koolunga and Yacka merge to become White Cliffs. White Cliffs folds, Yacka goes back alone. Koolunga reformed, merges with Yacka again to become Koolunga/Yacka. Merger dies AGAIN with Yacka being reformed but Koolunga don't. Koolunga actually kept their colts team which merged with Redhill - so Koolunga/Redhill was actually the colts team!

Gulnare merge with Redhill (Gulnare/Redhill)

Yacka merge with Brinkworth (Brinkworth/Yacka)

BY merge with Spalding - Brinkworth Yacka Spalding

BYS merge with GR - BSR (Brinkworth Spalding Redhill).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back