Rehash of Brinkworth/Spalding/Redhill

Start off with:

Brinkworth
Koolunga
Yacka
Spalding
Redhill
Gulnare

Koolunga and Yacka merge to become White Cliffs. White Cliffs folds, Yacka goes back alone. Koolunga reformed, merges with Yacka again to become Koolunga/Yacka. Merger dies AGAIN with Yacka being reformed but Koolunga don't. Koolunga actually kept their colts team which merged with Redhill - so Koolunga/Redhill was actually the colts team!

Gulnare merge with Redhill (Gulnare/Redhill)

Yacka merge with Brinkworth (Brinkworth/Yacka)

BY merge with Spalding - Brinkworth Yacka Spalding

BYS merge with GR - BSR (Brinkworth Spalding Redhill).
Heardy can I ask please what is different about this re-hash? Apart from pointing out that Koolunga remained only as a colts team, it seems identical to what you first suggested.

Koolunga didn't merge with Redhill, they folded.
Ok got it. I'll try to work on integrating this into the website soon. Appreciate the info!

Edit: Oh wait, I didn't got it. Now I do. Koolunga didn't merge their colts into Redhills footy club as a whole, the actual Koolunga-Redhill team was colts only. Okay now I think I have it!

Ok got it. I'll try to work on integrating this into the website soon. Appreciate the info!

Edit: Oh wait, I didn't got it. Now I do. Koolunga didn't merge their colts into Redhills footy club as a whole, the actual Koolunga-Redhill team was colts only. Okay now I think I have it!

No, Koolunga kept their colts team which merged with Redhill colts, while the Koolunga senior side folded and Redhill senior side remained unchanged.

No, Koolunga kept their colts team which merged with Redhill colts, while the Koolunga senior side folded and Redhill senior side remained unchanged.

Which I think what you just said anyways.

I've confused my bloody self now.

Even worse, during the 60s there was a B Grade side called "Centrals" which I think was a combined B Grade side of Brinkworth, Blyth and Snowtown.

During the same period, Gulnare had an A grade team whilst Yacka had a B grade side only, and I think the two towns were aligned which each other.

Back then as well, the A Grade, B Grade and Colts (just colts, not seniors or juniors etc) were all separate competitions until early 1970s when the Broughton FL said all teams must have all three grades.

Hit me up when you update the Broughton Football League/Association and respective club pages, I'm a walking library on that league and most of the clubs.

So on the Southern Flinders FC :

With Footypedia cap on : I have worked out what basically everything means. My only sticking point is Wirrabara-Murraytown. I have no data for the period that was so I don't know where to put it. Maybe the combined team was just called Wirrabara. Maybe it changed to Wirrabara-Murraytown for a short time where I have no data, then reverted to just Wirrabara. Or maybe I've called a bunch of Wirrabara-Murraytown stuff, Wirrabara stuff.

With Merger Pathways cap on : I will build a flowchart soon. Should be fun!

The footypedia page for that will update late tonight (about midnight my Qld time). Thanks for the info re Koolunga etc. I am holding that over for now, need a fresh head.

I think this seems right:

Rich (BB code):
Gladstone ---------------------------------------+
Georgetown -+                                    +- Gladstone-Combine - Rocky River -+
            +- Georgetown-Caltowie Combine ------+                                   |
Caltowie ---+                                                                        +- Southern Flinders
Laura -------------------------------------------+                                   |
Wirrabara --+                                    +- Laura-Warrabara -----------------+
            +- Wirrabara-Murraytown - Wirrabara -+
Murraytown -+
Max = 4
Min = 3
Entities = 6
Rating = 13

I did some work at a local pub and one of the blokes there played for Wirrabara then Wirrabara-Murraytown.

Gladstone Combine and Rocky River FC are the same club, not sure when they changed names but it was only for a season or 2 prior to the merger with the Peckers (Laura Wirrabara).

Koolunga also used to have TWO A grade teams and two B grade teams. All Broughton football league finals and grand finals were held at Koolunga until the club merged/folded then they started a rotation.

Yacka were first in the Broughton FL/FA then for a while were in their own association with Georgetown, Narridy and Gulnare called the Yackamoorundie FA. That league wasn't around long. (spelling - its an indigenous name for the Yacka area and Broughton River I'm fairly sure)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm game ... I have an email address now via the contact form of the site.

Cool. I'll get my computer cranked up, find my documents on Koolunga and the Broughton league (hoping to god they haven't been lost or accidentally chucked!) Have some jumper designs as well which I can describe to you (or you can add them, they're in paint format however).

Might be a couple of days.

Cool. I'll get my computer cranked up, find my documents on Koolunga and the Broughton league (hoping to god they haven't been lost or accidentally chucked!) Have some jumper designs as well which I can describe to you (or you can add them, they're in paint format however).

Might be a couple of days.
Jumper designs by paint! Loving it :thumbsu:

Thanks to Foolmetwice for advising more representation in the Glen Eira Saints merger pathway.

I currently don't have a computer. I am on a shitty browser tablet which is driving me (more) insane but I did try to update the graphic for Glen Eira based on foolmetwice's info about Caulfield YCW. I have also now included the absorption of Monash Gryphons. But my abilities, always sketchy at best, are even more nobbled at the moment.

Glen Eira's family tree is a spider web!

Old:
3b92JA9.jpg

Updated:
NnmWVdd.jpg

Based on the formula I was using to rank merger pathways :
Formula = min + max + sources, where
min = minimum representations of any club from it's initial incarnation to latest representation
max = maximum representations of any club from it's initial incarnation to latest representation
sources = total of number of initial incarnations (eg stand-alone clubs) involved

Glen Eira had been a 15.
But now, with Caulfield YCW ...
(Score: Max 7 + Min 2 + Sources 7 = 16)

haydo and manangatang suddenly caused me to remember this thread today.

Merger pathway for Tooleybuc-Manangatang FC:
h7pa70C.jpg

Events of note other than mergers:
  • Both the name change from Imperials to Manangatang, and the one from Chinkapook-Manangatang to Manangatang are simply revertive name changes, and therefore are not counted as iterations (the intent is to grade the amount of piling in together that occurred - the kerfuffle quotient if you will - and not merely the number of changes).
  • The shortlived return of Bolton in the 1950s seemed to be a new club and not a demerger. In any case, a demerger should only be counted as an iteration if both clubs are later recombined into the final composite - a dead-end demerger element with a 3-year lifespan (1953-55 in the example) is not of value to the process. In my humble opinion, a split and remerger should count, a merger and resplit should not.
  • It must also be noted that in the 1934 season of the Lalbert-Manangatang FL, Chinkapook disappeared for a year. In the 1935 season, Chinkapook returned and Manangatang disappeared. In 1936 both teams were back. It is quite possible that Manangatang was a representative team of both Chinkapook and Manangatang in 1934, and this representative team chose the other name (Chinkapook) in 1935, before resuming separate operations. This might be a merger and demerger situation but I have far too little information to go on to treat at as an iteration at this point. It's possible both teams continued throughout and I was just unable to find records of them.
Y9znbor.jpg

Max merger iterations = 4
Min merger iterations = 2
Total entities in the combine = 4
Total Merger Rating : 10

OP updated.

PS: My actual handwriting is even worse.

haydo and manangatang suddenly caused me to remember this thread today.

Merger pathway for Tooleybuc-Manangatang FC:
h7pa70C.jpg

Events of note other than mergers:
  • Both the name change from Imperials to Manangatang, and the one from Chinkapook-Manangatang to Manangatang are simply revertive name changes, and therefore are not counted as iterations (the intent is to grade the amount of piling in together that occurred - the kerfuffle quotient if you will - and not merely the number of changes).
  • The shortlived return of Bolton in the 1950s seemed to be a new club and not a demerger. In any case, a demerger should only be counted as an iteration if both clubs are later recombined into the final composite - a dead-end demerger element with a 3-year lifespan (1953-55 in the example) is not of value to the process. In my humble opinion, a split and remerger should count, a merger and resplit should not.
  • It must also be noted that in the 1934 season of the Lalbert-Manangatang FL, Chinkapook disappeared for a year. In the 1935 season, Chinkapook returned and Manangatang disappeared. In 1936 both teams were back. It is quite possible that Manangatang was a representative team of both Chinkapook and Manangatang in 1934, and this representative team chose the other name (Chinkapook) in 1935, before resuming separate operations. This might be a merger and demerger situation but I have far too little information to go on to treat at as an iteration at this point. It's possible both teams continued throughout and I was just unable to find records of them.
Y9znbor.jpg

Max merger iterations = 4
Min merger iterations = 2
Total entities in the combine = 4
Total Merger Rating : 10

OP updated.

PS: My actual handwriting is even worse.
That is amazing.

What I do know from those older than me is that Chinkapook was an absolute gun side, and at the time of merging with Manangatang was seen as the stronger team condescending to take in the weaker team.

Can’t believe Bolton had a team knowing the place so well!

That is amazing.

What I do know from those older than me is that Chinkapook was an absolute gun side, and at the time of merging with Manangatang was seen as the stronger team condescending to take in the weaker team.

Can’t believe Bolton had a team knowing the place so well!
Annuello and Bannerton, too! Essentially pretty much every dot on the map where there were silos :D

If I can find more info about 1934 and 1935 where it's possible Manangatang and Chinkapook were merged for two years, then split again, it'll get more complicated, but I'll definitely update the flowchart.

Annuello and Bannerton, too! Essentially pretty much every dot on the map where there were silos :D

If I can find more info about 1934 and 1935 where it's possible Manangatang and Chinkapook were merged for two years, then split again, it'll get more complicated, but I'll definitely update the flowchart.
I remember they still had a tennis club at Bannerton when I was a kid, which is just crazy in itself.

Annuello was/is well and truly a ghost town.

Thanks to Foolmetwice for advising more representation in the Glen Eira Saints merger pathway.

I currently don't have a computer. I am on a ****ty browser tablet which is driving me (more) insane but I did try to update the graphic for Glen Eira based on foolmetwice's info about Caulfield YCW. I have also now included the absorption of Monash Gryphons. But my abilities, always sketchy at best, are even more nobbled at the moment.

Glen Eira's family tree is a spider web!

Old:
3b92JA9.jpg

Updated:
NnmWVdd.jpg

Based on the formula I was using to rank merger pathways :
Formula = min + max + sources, where
min = minimum representations of any club from it's initial incarnation to latest representation
max = maximum representations of any club from it's initial incarnation to latest representation
sources = total of number of initial incarnations (eg stand-alone clubs) involved

Glen Eira had been a 15.
But now, with Caulfield YCW ...
(Score: Max 7 + Min 2 + Sources 7 = 16)

Hey Mobbs, Glen Eira merged with Monash Gryphons this season to become the Glen Eira Gryphons.

Hey Mobbs, Glen Eira merged with Monash Gryphons this season to become the Glen Eira Gryphons.
It's an actual merger, not an absorption? :oops:
They were talking about merging years ago, and I thought they had done so. Serious wow on that chain of mergers.
Thanks, I'll rejig the chart at some point!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back