Toast Merrick O'Connor 50 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back in 2016, this Irish lad attended the International Combine, where he showed his athletic traits at the 2016 NAB AFL Draft Combine, running a 9.56 3km. The 189 centimetre prospect was sought after, with three AFL clubs chasing his signature - Geelong prevailed and signed O’Connor as a Category B Rookie.

In 2017 he was elevated to the senior list where he played 2 games in his first year, another 5 games in his 2nd year, then locked in a spot in the misfits back six in his 3rd season before being elevated to the leadership group at the start of the 2020 season

When the team runs out for tonights preliminary final, Merrick will run out in game #50 in the hoops, and unless home sickness sets in he looks set to play many more in the guernsey

1st win:

2020 Player spotlight following our win over St Kilda

The club has done very well identifying talent and good eggs from non footy backgrounds.

Merrick is another great example of it.

Credit to him and the club - but mostly him for getting this far and becoming what many thought was not possible.

A best 22 GFC player

Go Catters

Well I made the silly comment very early that he'd be our best rookie ever.
Blicavs is making that look impossible.

But I still stand by my comment that he loves traffic and will end up a mid.
But to be honest, I would have said the same about Enright.

Sometimes you can't rob Peter to pay Paul.

Back in 2016, this Irish lad attended the International Combine, where he showed his athletic traits at the 2016 NAB AFL Draft Combine, running a 9.56 3km. The 189 centimetre prospect was sought after, with three AFL clubs chasing his signature - Geelong prevailed and signed O’Connor as a Category B Rookie.

In 2017 he was elevated to the senior list where he played 2 games in his first year, another 5 games in his 2nd year, then locked in a spot in the misfits back six in his 3rd season before being elevated to the leadership group at the start of the 2020 season

When the team runs out for tonights preliminary final, Merrick will run out in game #50 in the hoops, and unless home sickness sets in he looks set to play many more in the guernsey

1st win:

Crosspost this to the "I WAS WRONG" thread, but I never thought I'd see him make 50 games, let alone in such emphatic style.

Thanks for sticking it right up me, Sharkie!

For those of you scratching your heads and thinking "Merrick? Who the hell is Merrick? Isn't his name Mark?" go ahead and blame Tom Lonergan!!

April 30, 2019

Nice to meet you, 'Merrick'

The Irish-born defender Mark O'Connor played his best game for the Cats on Sunday when he won every contest in defence to earn coaches votes for the first time.

His left-foot pass late in the game after he had taken a bounce earned a wry smile from the coach Chris Scott who admitted the 22-year-old continually surprises the coaching staff with what he can do given he had not played the game before he arrived in October 2016.

What still makes people laugh is how he earned his nickname Merrick, which goes back to when Geelong's premiership defender Tom Lonergan introduced himself to the new players one pre-season.

Not always the closest follower of player movement Lonergan was not exactly all over the names of the recruits as he later referred to Mark as Merrick when he began talking about the new arrivals to other people around the club.

As soon as Lonergan's teammates realised the Irish accent had the man from Yarrawonga under the impression O'Connor's name was Merrick rather than Mark they couldn't hide their delight labelling the talented Irishman with the nickname.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's also this from a few years ago...

PLAYER PROFILE

Name: Mark O’Connor

Nickname: Merrick

AFL Club supported as a kid: Geelong

Childhood hero: David Johnson

I am a little curious about a couple of those answers, or maybe he is a long term Geelong supporter

1st win:

double like for not using 'Shark' in title :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

having watched a bit of Gaelic footy early in the AM, I am bullish on some of the Irish boys. Not surprised how his instincts are coming through, never in doubt. Like his aggressiveness defending his mates, as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back