Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Remove this Banner Ad

For Most people xmas isnt a religious holiday. Its Simply a holiday of western culture. in some ways its even gone beyond western culture and is simply a celebration of humanity. To not say merry xmas to someone and instead say the bland happy holidays is to reject people from this western culture celebrating family and humanity. To be inclusive you should say merry xmas.
You know the word holiday has its roots in christian tradition, yeah?

This is silly.

Relevance? Do you know Christmas has it's roots in paganism.

Xmas is almost solely secular now.
Yes, I do. However, you're saying that 'Happy Holidays' is a secular greeting, despite its religious etymology. That's my objection. Christians have been saying Happy Holidays and Seasons' Greetings for centuries; it isn't a new thing. It's only something that has been seized upon by 'political correctness gone mad' types who are looking for something to whinge about very recently.

You are perfectly within your rights to complain about Christmas or whatever religious holy day you care to choose has been seized by commercial interests, because that has a basis in fact. Bitching about words and language is wussiness couched in culture war bullshit.

Here's an idea, novel I know. How about you simply say 'Good morning!" to every one you meet. I guarantee, no-one's going to get shitty with you, whether it's christmas, easter or eid.

Yes, I do. However, you're saying that 'Happy Holidays' is a secular greeting, despite its religious etymology. That's my objection. Christians have been saying Happy Holidays and Seasons' Greetings for centuries; it isn't a new thing. It's only something that has been seized upon by 'political correctness gone mad' types who are looking for something to whinge about very recently.

You are perfectly within your rights to complain about Christmas or whatever religious holy day you care to choose has been seized by commercial interests, because that has a basis in fact. Bitching about words and language is wussiness couched in culture war bullshit.

Here's an idea, novel I know. How about you simply say 'Good morning!" to every one you meet. I guarantee, no-one's going to get shitty with you, whether it's christmas, easter or eid.
Im saying merry xmas. And i never say good morning, its a stupid saying, especially in the afternoon.

Im saying merry xmas. And i never say good morning, its a stupid saying, especially in the afternoon.

"Good morning" is just a social lubricant. Like when the checkout person asks "how are you?" they don't really want to know about your constipation, and misery because your neighbour's dog barked all night. When someone says "good morning" then realises it's 12.05 and quickly correct themselves, the "ha ha I meant good afternoon" it is just more social lubricant. No one really cares.

I usually say "happy Christmas". I'm not sure if it means the same or subtly different to "merry Christmas".

"Happy holidays" sounds American and I believe it has been creeping in to Australia. I don't like it as there are many holidays through the year but Christmas is a particular festival that is celebrated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back